Nascar drivers are NFL fans too

BengalszoneBilly

From RacingOne.com:

Racing World's Super Picks

Pete Pistone

Managing Editor Posted Sunday, February 4, 2007

33117.jpg

It's obvious who Dale Jarrett is pulling for to win.

It's the final off weekend before the racing season hits high gear and much of the motorsports world has a favorite in Sunday's Super Bowl between the Bears and Colts.

Whether they're in NASCAR, the IRL or short track racing, there are a number of drivers who have a definite favorite in the game.

Maybe the most outspoken and passionate driver-football fan is Kurt Busch.

The Penske Racing driver has arranged a cross-country trip that will see him travel from Las Vegas to Miami for Sunday's game and then back to Las Vegas for the start of Busch Series testing on Monday.

"We're here Saturday night," Busch said during last week's NEXTEL Cup testing session at LVMS. "Going to have my own redeye [flight] to the game on Sunday, do the game Sunday, fly back Sunday night after they finally release all the air traffic, test the Busch car Monday morning."

As for his pick? The diehard Chicago Cub fan has his football allegiance with the Windy City as well.

"I did put some money down on the game," he said. "I didn't buy the points, though. I bought it heads up. If my Bears lose, I'm going to lose with them. I actually triple my money if the Bears do win.

"Hopefully they do. I'm excited about it. They do have a great shot."

Craftsman Truck Series driver and Illinois native is with Busch on his pick.

"Who do you think is going to win, the Bears of course!" Darnell said. "Their defense will stop Indianapolis' powerhouse offense. I think Chicago's defense will win them game for them. They will shut Payton Manning down."

Another fromer Illinois native, Danica Patrick, is also on the Bears bandwagon.

“Bears 31, Colts 27," she said. "I think this game is going to have a little bit of everything. I think both teams will start out slow, probably just a couple of field goals in the early part of the game. But then I think it will be wide open in the second half. Even though I'm predicting a Bears’ win, I don’t think I can lose. I’m from Illinois, so I’ve always been kind of a Bears’ fan."

Indianapolis has its share of backers among the racing world, including Matt Kenseth.

"My feeling is that there is no way the Bears offense will keep pace with the Colts offense," Kenseth said. "Unless the Bears D (defense) can force five turnovers and get a couple of defensive or special-team scores, they will be history. I think the Colts will beat the Bears 34-17."

Wisconsin native Kenseth may have some prejudice in his pick, being a self-proclaimed Packers fan and all. That hold true for a couple of fellow Roush Racing teammates, and cheeseland natives.

"I think Rex Grossman will choke and start throwing interceptions," said Todd Kluever. "Being a Green Bay fan I don't want to see the Bears win anyway."

Tell us what you really think Todd.

BTW, from Indycar driver Danica danica_patrick.jpg Patricks comments making her a football fan and racecar driver, she needs to be my next wife! :wub:

The best part about being a football and NASCAR fan is only having to wait one week from the end of one to start the other.

Oh, and you know what else? Being a NASCAR fan, we're pretty used to having extravagant pre-game shows. It's every week in NASCAR.

Personally, I'm not sure how football fans call NASCAR boring. I mean there's no huddles, timeouts and there's so much goodness in a race, that they can't even broadcast all green flag laps.

Personally, I'm not sure how football fans call NASCAR boring. I mean there's no huddles, timeouts and there's so much goodness in a race, that they can't even broadcast all green flag laps.

IMHO you can't be a well rounded "real man" without liking football and fast cars! I guess the rest prefer watching football and Oprah! :lol: