WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT THE RB SITUATION

BENGALTHEM

I need some feedback on the rb situation. So Rudi is the starter, Brandon Bennett went to the Bucs, and Dillion is most likely gone. What are we going to do about the depth at this position. I liked what Ray Jackson did in the preseason, I have never liked Skipp Hicks. Are we going to pick one up in FA or Draft a rb? If we could somehow get Perry from Michigan, that would be nice. Or even the Rb back from West Virginia.

I need some feedback on the rb situation. So Rudi is the starter, Brandon Bennett went to the Bucs, and Dillion is most likely gone. What are we going to do about the depth at this position. I liked what Ray Jackson did in the preseason, I have never liked Skipp Hicks. Are we going to pick one up in FA or Draft a rb? If we could somehow get Perry from Michigan, that would be nice. Or even the Rb back from West Virginia.

Well Rudi isn't guaranteed to be here next season. He still hasn't signed the offer from the Bengals, but from my understanding, there's been little interest from other teams, so he'll probably be here.

If we keep Rudi and Corey is gone, I think Jackson and Hicks -- right now in NFL Europe -- will be suitable backups. Herbert Goodman is the other RB, but I can't imagine him being anything more than practice squad material. It would be nice if we pick up a RB, but if Rudi sticks around for awhile -- in terms of years -- I really don't think picking up a RB in the draft early is a good idea.

I'll bet we'll have Rudi signed to a long term contract before training camp kicks up.

All the good, (I say good, not great) RB's will be gone in the first couple of rounds when the Bengals will be addressing their defensive needs. I don't see this as an option this year at all. I'm not huge on the two in NFLE, however, should be adequate backups assuming Rudi has a good year and sticks around.

WHODEY !!!

Actually this a very good year to draft a replacement for Corey.

Granted Someone could steal Rudi away from us before the draft, but I doubt someone is willing to give up a 1st and a 3rd for a Back that didn't even run for a 1000 yards !

--One aspect of Rudi's game that I gotta speak on, is his ability to play all 3 downs. Is it just me, Because I think he'll be a great option to throw to out of the backfield. The problems he had catching the ball in '02 were gone in '03.

--Back to the draft. Michael Turner,and Maurice Clarett, both have good speed, and are basically built like Rudi'. Turner may have a little more 'getty-up' than Clarett ,but both are legitimate options in round 3. ---

My sleeper pick at running back is the kid from Ottawa Braves (kan.)......Derrick Ward. ---At his recent pro day. He showed up at 6'0 235lbs. and ran a 4.49 easily one of the top recorded speeds for any back this year including Steven Jackson, and Kevin Jones. ** Playing at the NAIA division he totaled 2061 yards rushing and an incredible 7.7 yards a carry. Best in the nation !, and the NAIA record.--Clearly a man among boys, and used to play at Fresno St., before he had to transfer because of academics.

--He's also an option that we should look at.

( 28 ) touchdowns as well his senior year.

Good topic...I was just thinking about this. I think we definitely need to draft a RB, but not until late in the draft (early second day?).

But I think we need to keep a close eye on Kenny Watson in camp. He's still with us, right?

Could he be the #2 guy on the depth chart?

don't hold your breath on those running backs falling just yet.

Kevin Jones and Greg Jones will run again !. Both have scheduled workouts in the very near future that'll showcase what quickness they really have.

---Also,scouts believed the reason why Kevin Jones' times were so poor was because of his footing. On his three attempts, he may have just run himself out of his shoes at the start of each test.

Before we get too deep into RB draft dreams, let's not forget about our big guy, FB Jeremi Johnson. He looked very promising last year. Big man with great power and balance, and soft hands to boot. Before we go spending draft picks on rock-haulers, I'd like to try JJ out as a change-of-pace back.

Before we get too deep into RB draft dreams, let's not forget about our big guy, FB Jeremi Johnson. He looked very promising last year. Big man with great power and balance, and soft hands to boot. Before we go spending draft picks on rock-haulers, I'd like to try JJ out as a change-of-pace back.

Absolutely...He got the ball pretty often when he was in college and I think he could handle it. I'd really like to see the Bengals throw out of the "ace" with JJ in the backfield... That would keep people from keying on the run or pass depending on who's in, plus lot's of options in the passing game...Put Chad together with another burner, the TE's in the middle, and JJ in the flat....keep them guessing.

As for drafting a RB...not until the second day, and preferrably not until round 5....there are more need postions to draft for this year....

Joisey, I usually don't question what you're saying for usually you speak for me anymore, but how is a 270 pound Full back in contention for our feature backs? Unless I misunderstood the thread and the purpose of it; he's a FB and I wouldn't hang my hope on him being the RB in a single-back set. To expect anything else from this beast is a little much.

As for drafting a RB...not until the second day, and preferrably not until round 5....there are more need postions to draft for this year....

Again, Kev, I feel the same way about you as Joisey, but I have to question this too. Why would we pick up a 5-7 round RB when we have that quality on our team already. It seems to me that logic would be a waste of a pick.

Joisey, I usually don't question what you're saying for usually you speak for me anymore, but how is a 270 pound Full back in contention for our feature backs?

Let's see...big ol' locomotive with soft hands...who does that remind me of...? :D

Oh, yeah...my all-time favorite Bengals back...

PETE JOHNSON

• Height: 6-0

• Weight: 252

• College: Ohio State

• Bengals tenure: 1977-83

• Credentials: The engine that helped power the city's first AFC champion. No. 1 in career rushing touchdowns (64) and touchdowns rushing or receiving by a running back (70). The Jerome Bettis of his day, a nimble big guy who was more dangerous once he got a full head of steam. Scored 14 rushing touchdowns twice in a season (1979, '83).

That's what I see in JJ, kirk...let's give the boy a chance.

Joisey, I usually don't question what you're saying for usually you speak for me anymore, but how is a 270 pound Full back in contention for our feature backs?

Let's see...big ol' locomotive with soft hands...who does that remind me of...? :D

Oh, yeah...my all-time favorite Bengals back...

PETE JOHNSON

• Height: 6-0

• Weight: 252

• College: Ohio State

• Bengals tenure: 1977-83

• Credentials: The engine that helped power the city's first AFC champion. No. 1 in career rushing touchdowns (64) and touchdowns rushing or receiving by a running back (70). The Jerome Bettis of his day, a nimble big guy who was more dangerous once he got a full head of steam. Scored 14 rushing touchdowns twice in a season (1979, '83).

That's what I see in JJ, kirk...let's give the boy a chance.

Yea, he could be good, but if he's ever to accomplish those expectations, he needs to lose a bunch of weight and gain a little speed. It may be good that he has hands, but speed is kind of important. I just haven't seen the potential you have, that's all.

Again, Kev, I feel the same way about you as Joisey, but I have to question this too. Why would we pick up a 5-7 round RB when we have that quality on our team already. It seems to me that logic would be a waste of a pick.

Well, I don't see the need to draft a running back at all this year, I was just saying if we do, not on the first day. I think the reason people are talking about drafting a RB is the worry that Rudi may have been a one year wonder...However I think the line is what you work on...You get an o line that anyone could run for 1000 yards on, then the RB isn't a high priority.

As for using JJ more, just as an option to give Rudi a break every now and then, but I don't feel that Rudi is the type of back that needs many breaks, he needs 25 plus carries a game.

Well, I don't see the need to draft a running back at all this year, I was just saying if we do, not on the first day. I think the reason people are talking about drafting a RB is the worry that Rudi may have been a one year wonder...However I think the line is what you work on...You get an o line that anyone could run for 1000 yards on, then the RB isn't a high priority.

OK, yea, I agree with you there. There's no doubt we have a roster full of 5th+ rounders, except for 3rd round Rudi, so in terms of NEED or not, we don't need a RB in the draft.

does he have any speed thought the hole no does he have vision no can he block yes does he have power yes but no way can he be arunning back

Don't get me wrong, I think JJ would be a great option for a FB dive or off-guard run, to give Rudi a break. I just don't see him, personally, as the feature back. Not until he does a little revision on his body at least.

Yea, he could be good, but if he's ever to accomplish those expectations, he needs to lose a bunch of weight and gain a little speed. It may be good that he has hands, but speed is kind of important. I just haven't seen the potential you have, that's all.

Aw, hell, he could drop 18 lbs. just by switching to low-carb Whoppers. :D As for speed, Pete was no burner, either; it's just hard to bring down 250+ lbs. of back when they get movin'. I can remember Pete just chuggin' along with guy just hanging off of him. We'll see how it goes, but why not use JJ the same way they used CD & Rudi last year? Let Rudi warm 'em up and work the big man in more in the 3rd and 4th quarters when the d-line's wearing down?

Bottom line, I'm not worried about the running game this year; I'm fine with what we got.

BOYS, BOYS, BOYS!!!!! dr livingston, i presume....no no no....it's WATSON.........don't forget last years signing of watson......he's a lewis boy and a pretty DAMN good running back.....look for alot of good things from him now that he is settled in to our team......

I guess it's really a system of how we plan to run next year.

--we had a contingency plan when CD came back healthy,that he could start, and then stick Rudi' in, and pound it out from there on, Except, we ended up losing our running rhythm by passing it too much !

-- If we're going to draft a running back, it's better to grab a guy on day 1, that can give you what your starter can,in case of injury or in the case, that Rudi' might be a 'one year wonder'.

There will be guys that can fill that role easily!

--However If we just want a guy to come in for 3-5 runs a game to give RJ a rest, we already have that in Kenny Watson !

--I agree with Kevnz... If we land one of the top 3 road graders to play the right guard spot like, Carey, Snee, or Smiley, then I think we could boast a line as talented as the one from the late '80s'.

Aw, hell, he could drop 18 lbs. just by switching to low-carb Whoppers. :D As for speed, Pete was no burner, either; it's just hard to bring down 250+ lbs. of back when they get movin'. I can remember Pete just chuggin' along with guy just hanging off of him. We'll see how it goes, but why not use JJ the same way they used CD & Rudi last year? Let Rudi warm 'em up and work the big man in more in the 3rd and 4th quarters when the d-line's wearing down?

Bottom line, I'm not worried about the running game this year; I'm fine with what we got.

Yea, you make a great point about momentum. But I compare JJ as Bettis is today. If JJ drops a few pounds, he could be the Bettis that was great..

Regarding the bottom line, you're absolutely right.

JJ can get 1-2 carries a game as well as mb 1-2 catches a game. He needs to work on his blocking and cracking some fools before he works on his hands. He did good for us last year, but he can be great if he perfects it.