Which safety do we choose?

Just curious as to what peoples thoughts are on the safetys left on the market?

Assume we have our choice of them who do we pick: John Lynch, Brock Marion, Sam Garnes, Antuan Edwards, or bring back either Mark Roman or Rogers Beckett?

Marion and Lynch are on the downsides of their careers but are defensive leaders and will probably cost the most. Lynch also has had neck problems in the past so that could be a question mark.

Edwards was originally drafted as a corner by Green Bay and never did anything but find his way to the injury list while there. (Mark Roman clone)

Beckett I know is a younger guy and maybe has a chance to become a good player. Im not sure because I am not able to watch any Bengals games on TV here in Florida.

I would like to see them bring in Marion to help the young defense and supply that leadership that we were hoping to get from Sapp.

It would appear the leading candidates are Brock Marion, and Rogers Beckett. Marion, who is 33 has been to the last 2 pro bowls, and has actually played better for a Miami secondary than it's probowl corners in Surtain and Madison-who had to take a pay cut to keep from being released.

Beckett is 27, and has actively been pursued by several teams especially the Buccaneers.Beckett could return,but probably being the hottest commodity at the safety position will probably force him away from Mike Browns' notorious cheap pockets.

Sooner or later Marion will find a home, and it will not be back with the Dolphins as there is a mutual lack of respect there.

Sam Garnes was the first interview Marvin had when Free Agency started, but his name hasn't surfaced again in several weeks. Garnes doesn't have the range or coverage abilities that Marion has, and considering that Cincy' will address this area in the Draft, makes bringing Marion here the top choice.

--Mark Roman, has struggled to maintain a regular spot since arriving in Cincy' 4 years ago. He's an inconsistent player that drops too many interceptions to be considered a Bengal in '04.He's also been linked to going to the Packers and should sign sometime this week.( rumor-mill ).

* Draft news... According to Combine and Senior Bowl practices, Marvin Lewis supposively took a liking to Stuart Schweigart,Madieu Williams,and Etric Pruitt, so they could become Bengals around round 3.

I say we sign Marion for a short term contract, but having Becket would also be great. I think we draft for our future S. A guy that might be there in the second round is Michael Boulware. I know he was a LB in college, but can and should be converted to SS. He has all the physical skills and many of his post college workouts he has outperformed Sean Taylor. This is a link to pro day work outs. Look at Sean Taylor's work out and compare to Boulware's.

http://nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts

I think the overall benefit to Boulwares' athleticism is his abilty to add weight. A team looking to make him a safety right away , would basically have to "un-linebacker" him. He's used to coming forward and attacking, which is why I still think it would be better for him to add 10-15 lbs, and move to strong side linebacker. He played that spot in college, but his current size has him projected to being a WLB. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, he could be a real force on the strong side with his quickness and a couple of peanut butter sandwiches before he goes to sleep ! :)

Well, I think the key thing is to not overpay at safety...The team has another safety on the roster with starting experience and that's Marquand Manuel, so maybe the team has enough faith in him to not pursue a safety that strongly....Plus the market is dead for safeties this year as well...So I think the players themselves are holding out signing hoping it will heat up before the draft...

* Draft news... According to Combine and Senior Bowl practices, Marvin Lewis supposively took a liking to Stuart Schweigart,Madieu Williams,and Etric Pruitt, so they could become Bengals around round 3.

Please don't get Schweigert....get the LafLuer dude or something! :(

I think the overall benefit to Boulwares' athleticism is his abilty to add weight. A team looking to make him a safety right away , would basically have to "un-linebacker" him. He's used to coming forward and attacking, which is why I still think it would be better for him to add 10-15 lbs, and move to strong side linebacker. He played that spot in college, but his current size has him projected to being a WLB. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, he could be a real force on the strong side with his quickness and a couple of peanut butter sandwiches before he goes to sleep ! :)

yeah, Id love to get Boulware.....LOVE it....if we got him second round i wouldnt be mad

Well, I think the key thing is to not overpay at safety...

Yeah, we got all those draft picks and Palmer's incentives to worry about :rolleyes:

The team has another safety on the roster with starting experience and that's Marquand Manuel, so maybe the team has enough faith in him to not pursue a safety that strongly

Manuel is adequate, nothing more. My advice would be to sign Marion to a Webb-style deal (3 years, $9 million, SB $3 million, sals $1, 2, 3 million) and get Beckett back.

We're still searching for safeties because Leblow didn't have a clue who to draft in 2002..

--2nd round. Lamont Thompson -Washington ST.

Should have taken the Raiders original offer which was trade them our 10th, and take their 2 firsts. We could have gotten Ed Reed and Levi !

--6th round . Marquand Manuel , played linebacker in Florida's scheme, even though he lined up at the ss spot. He had no real coverage abilities and that's why his starts at safety were so few.

--Un drafted free Agent "Pig" Prather, mississippi st.---I thought he was a real steal slipping through the draft, but recent surgeries meant Cincy didn't even give him a chance to make the roster, so now he's out of the NFL.??

--Yeah Len Pasquerelli remarked about the safety position being kind of dried up ,because noone was interested in signing them.

Boulware does have S experience. He played S in High School, and I know it is not the same as College, but when you put up workout #'s comparable and in some stats even better than Taylor, I don't think he will have a tuff time converting to S. He is a coverage LB, and I know he is a great athlete, so I don't see him having huge problems coverting back to S. Honestly if he was back there playing SS for us, I don't think the other teams will want to throw down field.

I dont like the idea of drafting Boulware. At best he will be a good player 2 or 3 years from now at worst a bust. Its a gamble changing someones position from college to the pro's. I dont care how fast you run while in your underoo's or how much you can bench press. You should draft by what hes done on the field.

Harris could probably play End in a 3-4, but I think his quickness , and girth make him a more natural "3" in a 4-3. He's basically played that spot his entire college career. He does have the experience to play there, but being just under 6-3 is kinda' short to play the spot.

* Whoever gets him, gets a player though.

Sanders can hit, cover, play deep, make the big play, tackle, but that height thing really bothers me. It's one thing to be a "tiny" running back that can hide behind big offensive lineman., but playing in space he can probably be thrown over , kinda like a taller basket ball player shooting over a shorter player.

Sanders would still be worth a pick in round 3 though. He's good value there, and if he doesn't work out, we really don't lose much.