Bengals withdraw tender to Riall Johnson

dcameron

Some interesting points from the new bengals.com update:

- “I’ve got a smile from ear-to-ear,” said Webster, the Bengals middle linebacker, of the news his new team is pursuing his old teammate. “I’m not sure of the situation. Warren is sacred about that kind of stuff. He’s like a coach on the field and I don’t care how old he is. He’s still the best defensive tackle in football. Watching him is like watching a basketball game the way he leaves those guys hanging with his moves.”

- “When I’m watching a game, the only two tackles I watch are him and La’Roi Glover,” Thornton said. “You really learn something from watching a guy like that. I think everybody pretty much patterned their game after him the way he rushes the passer. He’ll help any team he goes to because he brings so much attention to himself on and off the field. There was a little shock value to it because it was such a big name, but you also know Coach (Marvin Lewis) is trying to get those impact players.”

- The only thing the Bengals did on the record Wednesday was pull the $628,0000 restricted free agent tag off linebacker Riall Johnson, making him an unrestricted free agent and giving the club more salary-cap room to sign Sapp or Eagles cornerback Bobby Taylor.

Thought it was interesting what Webster and Thornton had to say... maybe Webster will be making a call to his "boy" to try to pursued him. And i would expect more "cuts" similar to the one of Riall Johnson... so they can open up as much cap room as they can.

This was bound to happen. Even with the signing of Webster, the Bengals will still look to the draft to add to their linebacker corps. There is a very real possibility that Cincy could draft a linebacker on Day 1 of the draft , making Riall Johnson,Dwayne Levels, and Adrian Ross the most likely odd men out.

Why would adding a linebacker in day 1 be remote. Webster is an unproven commodity, and Hardy is a 9 year vet. Dwayne Levels,Adrian Ross, and Khalid Abdullah aren't guaranteed roster spots. Adding another young linebacker to be able to start either on the strong side and the middle seems like smart football.

I'm not too sure where people are projecting him to be drafted at... but someone to look at would be Bouleware from Florida St (i think he's from FSU.) Most experts say that he would be more suited to play safety than linebacker in the NFL, which would be perfect for us concidering we have "needs" at both positions.

Actually Dcameron, Michael Boulware was worked out as a safety during his Pro Day on March 16th.

Boulware (6-2 1/8, 227) ran his 40s in 4.50 and 4.47. He had a 39½-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-2 long jump, did 15 strength reps, 3.98 short shuttle and 6.52 three-cone drill. I think Boulware is the only person to run the short shuttle in under four seconds at his Pro Day (many did it at the combine). Boulware also worked out as a safety. ---Gil Brandt.

I do think , that if teams think Boulwares' more natural position may be at Safety because he was a wide receiver when he first came to the Seminoles.

--Also, If he does make a move to safety, that he will most likely drop a round or 2 because he isn't familiar with that position. His athleticism makes him a lock to be a WLB ( weakside -linebacker ). but his leadership skills, and intangibles mean he could add 10-15 lbs, and move to the Strong side and be a serious force against the run and rushing the passer.

I figured that he would work out at safety for his Pro Day considering that's where most NFL scouts think he can play... but what i was implying is that WE could look at him for either LB or Safety. If he slips a bit in the draft then we may be able to get him and fit him in where he's needed. Considering a lot of scouts have said that he has more natural talent than his brother. Having a safety that can hit like a LB is a pretty good quality... just ask the Bucs about Lynch.

Rod Davis...Rod Davis...Rod Davis...

THE HUDDLE REPORT

Rod Davis   LB   Southern Mississippi

Strengths

Rod is the right size for an NFL linebacker. He has very good speed. He is an attacking linebacker, does not wait for the play to come to him. Rod has excellent instincts and great change of direction. He is effective in the passing game and equally as effective in the running game. Rod has great pass rushing abilities. Rod can play all of the linebacker positions. He has leadership qualities and makes the players around him better. He is a team player in every sense. He has very good tackling technique. Rod is an impact player.

Needs to Improve

Rod needs to improve his draft rating. He needs to get a good agent and he needs to help improve the marketing department of his school. Rod also needs to inform the NFL draft sites that he is alive and playing linebacker for a college football team.

Bottom Line

Ladies go to any film of any linebacker in college. I will give you film of any game you want of Rod Davis. I dare you to tell me after looking at the film that Rod is not the best linebacker in this draft. Forget your Miami boys; forget the boys from Auburn, this kid outplays them all. You don't believe me? You think I'm missing a screw? Well, I do not believe what potential agents tell me about a player. I do not believe the marketing people of a college about a player. I do not look at other draft sites and repeat whatever they say just to be one of the guys. I look at film. I look at a lot of film. Rod Davis will shoot up everyone’s draft boards before we hit draft day, but you heard it here first. Rod Davis is the best linebacker in this draft and there are not many impact linebackers in this draft. On my personal board, I list the 1st-round linebackers as Rod Davis, Ted Lehman and Karlos Dansby. The other linebackers that everyone else hypes (including underclassmen), I have serious concerns about and would not select them until the second round. Derrick Johnson of Texas is the fastest, but the worst tackler I have ever seen. So close your eyes, click your ruby red slippers and say three times, “I hope my team picks Rod Davis.  I hope my team picks Rod Davis.  I hope my team picks Rod Davis.”

Drew Boylhart

JoiseyCat (Official Rod Davis in '04 Pimp)

Okay so you think Boulware can play S, which I agree. Lets compare the #'s of the top FS in this years draft to Boulware's #'s. Like someone earlier posted:

FSU workout:

There was a multitude of NFL people, including three head coaches -- Butch Davis (CLE), Marvin Lewis (CIN) and Bill Cowher (PIT). The 40-yard dash was done outside on a hard rubber track. Then they did the shuttles and cone drills inside on FieldTurf.

Player Position Gil's comments

Michael Boulware LB Boulware (6-2 1/8, 227) ran his 40s in 4.50 and 4.47. He had a 39½-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-2 long jump, did 15 strength reps, 3.98 short shuttle and 6.52 three-cone drill. I think Boulware is the only person to run the short shuttle in under four seconds at his Pro Day (many did it at the combine). Boulware also worked out as a safety.

Sean Taylor:

Taylor stood in at 6-2½, weighed 228 pounds (two pounds less than at the combine), and ran three times for a 4.51 average. He added 11 strength reps, a 10-foot-1 long jump, a 35-inch vertical jump, and opted not to run any of the shuttle drills.

Can you say Sean Taylor clone. Boulware had better #'s than Taylor did. I can't believe anyone would pass on him if he is available in the second round. Convert to SS, and you will have a guy that will play S like a LB. All I have to say is Sean Taylor What!

CJ

The difference is, Taylor has been playing in the secondary all 3 years he was a Hurricane. --There's absolutely no doubting the athleticism of just about any Florida St. player or Hurricane , for that matter. I just believe that their intangibles lead them to different roads. Boulware's close to the line, and Taylor's protecting the deep middle. Taylor has natural instincts to attack the passing lanes. He never has a problem finding the ball,and he's a playmaker everytime he gets his hands on it.

----Boulwares' intangibles are more fiery and direct. He's a athlete playing linebacker. and when his linbacker skills catch up to his athleticism, he could be great. But he's a natural leader , and makes a lot of plays close to the line of scrimmage, which is why I think he should bulk up , and play the SLB position.

Actually Dcameron, Michael Boulware was worked out as a safety during his Pro Day on March 16th.

Boulware (6-2 1/8, 227) ran his 40s in 4.50 and 4.47. He had a 39½-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-2 long jump, did 15 strength reps, 3.98 short shuttle and 6.52 three-cone drill. I think Boulware is the only person to run the short shuttle in under four seconds at his Pro Day (many did it at the combine). Boulware also worked out as a safety. ---Gil Brandt.

I do think , that if teams think Boulwares' more natural position may be at Safety because he was a wide receiver when he first came to the Seminoles.

--Also, If he does make a move to safety, that he will most likely drop a round or 2 because he isn't familiar with that position. His athleticism makes him a lock to be a WLB ( weakside -linebacker ). but his leadership skills, and intangibles mean he could add 10-15 lbs, and move to the Strong side and be a serious force against the run and rushing the passer.

That would be great if we got him.....I've been high on him.....If we moved him to safety I think he could flourish in that position....he could be even as good as Sean Taylor with enough time....