G'night, Jon Boy?

HoosierCat

Reading the bengals.com Sapp story, it says that the bengals don't like Kitna's restructuring proposal, and makes no mention of them issuing a counterproposal.

It seems the Bengals aren’t going to get any room from a contract extension with quarterback Jon Kitna any time soon, with all indications the team didn’t like his proposal enough to sign and use the room in free agency.

It also occurs to me where the majority of that $4 million we've offered Sapp could come from...

I think the odds that Jon will be in stripes next year are falling fast.

Reading the bengals.com Sapp story, it says that the bengals don't like Kitna's restructuring proposal, and makes no mention of them issuing a counterproposal.
It seems the Bengals aren’t going to get any room from a contract extension with quarterback Jon Kitna any time soon, with all indications the team didn’t like his proposal enough to sign and use the room in free agency.

It also occurs to me where the majority of that $4 million we've offered Sapp could come from...

I think the odds that Jon will be in stripes next year are falling fast.

As much as I've been pro-Kitna, now would be a great time to trade him. His stock is as high as ever and could get something decent in return. The Bengals are still 5.991 under the cap, so they have room for Sapp without dumping Kitna though. This could be a very active next couple of weeks.

As much as I've been pro-Kitna, now would be a great time to trade him. His stock is as high as ever and could get something decent in return.

Exactly. They've dilly-dallied on Kitna long enough (too long, IMHO). If they definitely want to keep him, then hammer out a new deal, and if not, then move 'im out! Onward and upward and addition by subtraction and all that stuff. Having your backup QB eating up $3.3 million in cap space is not acceptable, even if your starter is a rookie.

As much as I've been pro-Kitna, now would be a great time to trade him.  His stock is as high as ever and could get something decent in return.

Exactly. They've dilly-dallied on Kitna long enough (too long, IMHO). If they definitely want to keep him, then hammer out a new deal, and if not, then move 'im out! Onward and upward and addition by subtraction and all that stuff. Having your backup QB eating up $3.3 million in cap space is not acceptable, even if your starter is a rookie.

That's true Joisey, but then again, whose to say they haven't already tried to. Maybe the re-negotiation is due to lack of interest in the league; a backup plan. There have been very little trade scenarios with Kitna, and with Marvin protecting all Bengal off-season activities like his first born child in the middle of a rave party, it's hard to decipher what they have and haven't done yet.

The only time we hear anything is if it's reported by newspapers from different teams or if agents talking about deals.

Guys, lets put this in perspective a bit. It seems easy to ditch our backup QB, especially with the salary he has. But, remember, hes backing up a QB with ZERO experience! I mean, Im confident that if Carson is injured or benched for some reason Jonny can step in and perform in this system. Matthews? Not sure. I say keep Kit for one more year, any longer is too long.

Guys, lets put this in perspective a bit. It seems easy to ditch our backup QB, especially with the salary he has. But, remember, hes backing up a QB with ZERO experience! I mean, Im confident that if Carson is injured or benched for some reason Jonny can step in and perform in this system. Matthews? Not sure. I say keep Kit for one more year, any longer is too long.

That's the problem LK, I believe if you wait too long, then his stock will drop and the return investment thus decreases exponentially. If you keep Kitna, you allow yourself an easy escape route also. If things go bad, without Kitna, Palmer will be forced through it. Not saying Marvin would take him out, but it makes it a less likely scenario.

Leaving Carson in when things get tough will be the best thing for him... We left John in there last year for every snap ,so Carson didn't really have his 'rookie" season.. Now with a full year of the offense in his head, letting him struggle through already knowing the offense will help him ( kirk's word-exponentially ) !!

Trade Kitna now, get a 3rd or a 4th...? and Dillon.. for the 2nd, (don't care where you get it from i.e. High or low ). and build through the draft. We have the opportunity to free up cap room,trade away some high salaries, and make a serious impact to better our depth and starters with a big splash on draft's first day.. Strike now while the metals' hot !!!

That's true Joisey, but then again, whose to say they haven't already tried to. Maybe the re-negotiation is due to lack of interest in the league; a backup plan. There have been very little trade scenarios with Kitna, and with Marvin protecting all Bengal off-season activities like his first born child in the middle of a rave party, it's hard to decipher what they have and haven't done yet.

In complete detail, yes, but the team's own web site has reported that they've shopped him to San Diego (who said no) and chronicled the first round of restructuring negotiations (if you can call Jon providing a proposal and the Bengals tossing it in the trash "negotiations"). And all this, of course, has just happened over the last two weeks or so. WTF was wrong with starting the process two months ago??? (Esp. since the decided on Carson way early but just didn't tell anyone!)

This is just poor GMing, and I don't blame Marvin for that. Last time I checked, he was head coach and Mikey was lord & master. This years FA follies demonstate that we still need to get some people with actual football experience in the front office, and to hire a freaking GM.

That's true Joisey, but then again, whose to say they haven't already tried to.  Maybe the re-negotiation is due to lack of interest in the league; a backup plan.  There have been very little trade scenarios with Kitna, and with Marvin protecting all Bengal off-season activities like his first born child in the middle of a rave party, it's hard to decipher what they have and haven't done yet.

In complete detail, yes, but the team's own web site has reported that they've shopped him to San Diego (who said no) and chronicled the first round of restructuring negotiations (if you can call Jon providing a proposal and the Bengals tossing it in the trash "negotiations"). And all this, of course, has just happened over the last two weeks or so. WTF was wrong with starting the process two months ago??? (Esp. since the decided on Carson way early but just didn't tell anyone!)

This is just poor GMing, and I don't blame Marvin for that. Last time I checked, he was head coach and Mikey was lord & master. This years FA follies demonstate that we still need to get some people with actual football experience in the front office, and to hire a freaking GM.

Yea, we still are under the clutches of Brown in command. That's a definate shot back to reality, eh?

From the Dayton Daily News...

MIAMI TWP., Montgomery County — Quarterback Jon Kitna is doing just fine, thanks, as the Cincinnati Bengals freshly-minted backup to newly-anointed starter Carson Palmer.

The ABCs of some millionaire athletes — animosity, bitterness and criticism — aren't in Kitna's dictionary. As much as he wants to continue starting after winning the NFL's Comeback-Player-of-the-Year award for leading the Bengals to an 8-8 record in 2003, he stands in total support of Palmer as the 2004 season approaches.

"If it goes this way and I go into the season being the backup, I'll be the best backup I can and try to help Carson in any way I can," Kitna said Tuesday at Cardboard Heroes at the Dayton Mall, where he signed 171 autographs and raised $2,565 for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Kitna, who is in the final year of a four-year contract, said Palmer will learn game management and the nuances of his receivers through experience. But it's the intangibles of leadership Kitna hopes to relay to Palmer.

"I've been thinking about all the things I feel like I can help him with," Kitna said. "For me, it'll be more teaching him the importance of the relationships he makes on the team. When you're the quarterback, you need to feel like the whole team is playing for you. The only way you do that is to form relationships with guys.

"I'll try to help him realize that aspect of it, and then do just anything I can for him throughout the week. I'll go to him and say, 'What do you want me to do?' So in whatever way I can be an extra set of eyes for him, it'll help me stay sharp. The more I can help him, the better."

The Bengals face a salary-cap crunch with the payroll approaching the $80.6 million ceiling. To create room, Kitna and agent Mike Moye recently sent the club a proposal that would lower Kitna's $4.375 million cap number. As of Tuesday, the club hadn't responded. He could still be traded or released before the season begins. "We'll see where it goes from here, but I quit worrying about it," Kitna said. "It's your competitiveness that gets you to this point in your career, and you just wait your turn.

"If I have to be a backup, you're a well-paid backup and that's wonderful, and then you're a free agent next year. I think it'll be a great year to be a free agent as a quarterback."

At this stage, the only way Kitna plays this year is if Palmer gets hurt or the team fails to win for him. "Like I've said, I hope I don't have to play at all this year," he said. "But I'll be ready if that happens."

This article points back to my comments that we are better off restructuring his contract and keeping him! Tell me where we will find someone who will better help Carson become MVP?

No doubt. However, look at the other side of the issue too. Trading him gives us more room in the cap and an additional pick. Both are win-win scenarios.

No doubt. However, look at the other side of the issue too. Trading him gives us more room in the cap and an additional pick. Both are win-win scenarios.

We won't be able to trade Kitna...Who wants him??? The only reason a team would want him would be to have a experienced backup....and they would have to negotiate an extension on his contract...You never trade for someone with only one year left....The only hope the team has of trading Kit would be waiting and hoping a team has an injury to their starting QB and they come a calling with picks in hand....

I don't think you can fault Brown for dragging his heels on this one....You can't cut Kit cause he is very popular in the lockeroom, you can explore a trade possability with a team that Kit expressed interest in playing for(he did), you can renogiate a contract with a player after his best year ever(ouch, but he tried) or you can sit on him for a year, hope his value can come down(out of sight, out of mind in this league) so you can afford him the next year and have him on call if you need him.....

This is a very difficult situation to be in for any team and I think it's being handled pretty damn well....

We won't be able to trade Kitna...Who wants him??? The only reason a team would want him would be to have a experienced backup

No one would want to start one of last year's best QBs? The guy who so many people think should be starting instad of Carson Palmer? No teams sign new deals with guys they trade for? But hey, let's asume you're right. Then all we have to do is put a nice high, but-backup-level, QB offer on the table, cut him, and tell him he can pick it up if he doesn't find a better deal.

I don't think you can fault Brown for dragging his heels on this one

Yeah you can.

.You can't cut Kit cause he is very popular in the lockeroom

Popular players get cut every year. If you don't believe me, check with Junior Seau and John Lynch.

you can explore a trade possability with a team that Kit expressed interest in playing for(he did)

Last week.

you can renogiate a contract with a player after his best year ever(ouch, but he tried)

Sort of, and again, not 'til last week.

you can sit on him for a year, hope his value can come down

And $3.3 million sits on the bench while you can't afford to sign a decent corner or DT.

This is a very difficult situation to be in for any team and I think it's being handled pretty damn well....

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I think it's been handled pretty sloppily.

as to the GM part.. Katie Blackburn and her Husband are the last remnant of what Mikey did to cost us the last 12 years. In Mike Browns' efforts to lessen his grip on the Bengals , he gave Marvin Lewis complete control over the players, and so forth. However the One thing that Mike has not let go of is the leash on the Wallet.

He remains the old man from the depression that holds on to a Solid Gold stop watch swinging it around and around as his teams starves for playoff Identity. We need a General Manager Mike Brown. NO matter how well Marvin coaches this team, the part that will continue to hold us back is someone willing to make tough financial decisions that effect the progress of this team. Mike Brown, you and your daughter are not qualified. You must realize this in order for the Bengals to make the next step, because as the team improves , so must our willingness to let the better man do the job.

---i.e. You get what you pay for. As long as we only attract the middle tier Free Agents, we will only have mediocrity . !!