Breaking News

Philly-bound Owens gets his wish

Terrell Owens is headed to the Philadelphia Eagles as part of a trade negotiated with the Eagles, 49ers and Ravens, according to a broadcast report. The deal will reportedly send defensive end Brandon Whiting from Philadelphia to San Francisco, and the Eagles' fifth-round draft choice to the Ravens.

Yes the ravens get their second round pick back from the fortyniners.

Here's what's on nfl.com

T.O. IS A GO FOR THE EAGLES!!!!

The twisting, turning saga of Terrell Owens made its final stop on Tuesday, as the Eagles announced that they have acquired the Pro Bowl wide receiver in a three-way trade with San Francisco and Baltimore, and that they have agreed to terms on a seven-year contract with Owens.

A press conference has been scheduled for this afternoon at 5:30 at the NovaCare Complex. You can listen to it and watch it live on PhiladelphiaEagles.com

The Eagles officially acquired Owens in a trade with San Francisco and Baltimore. Officially, the Ravens traded Owens to the Eagles, and Baltimore receives the Eagles' fifth-round selection in April's draft. Baltimore also receives back the second-round selection it previously gave to San Francisco.

The 49ers also acquire Eagles defensive end Brandon Whiting.

Tuesday marked the end of an amazing saga that involved Owens, his agent David Joseph, the 49ers, the Baltimore Ravens and an NFL-appointed special master named Stephen Burbank.

The short story is this: Owens intended to void the final three years of his contract with the 49ers after a sometimes-tumultuous relationship with management, players and the coaching staff in San Francisco. However, just prior to the start of the March 3 free agency period, it was announced that Joseph had failed to file the necessary paperwork to launch Owens into free agency.

The 49ers then intended to trade Owens, and on March 4, one day after Owens would have become a free agent, they traded him to the Baltimore Ravens for a second-round draft pick in April -- at the same time the Eagles were in negotiations with Owens and his agent. Owens balked at the move, and loudly told anyone who would listen that he wanted to play for the Eagles.

It appeared right up until Monday that Owens would be saddled with Baltimore. However, after a special hearing in front of Burbank, a University of Pennsylvania law professor appointed as an arbitrator for special cases like this, word leaked that the case presented by the NFL Players' Association was so strong that Burbank could very easily rule in Owens' favor and declare him a free agent, meaning that neither the 49ers nor the Ravens would receive any kind of compensation.

Reports surfaced on Monday night that all parties involved were negotiating terms of a settlement before Burbank made his ruling official.

By the time Tuesday morning rolled around, details of the agreement were coming into place. And the most important detail was this: the Eagles got themselves a No. 1 wide receiver, an impact player to help Donovan McNabb and the offense, and continued a fantastic off-season that has also seen them sign star defensive end Jevon Kearse and linebacker Dhani Jones.

I can't believe the direction the NFL is going. Very sad.

I have to agree...I think this sucks....If TO should have been let out of his contract, so be it...Don't reward the 49ers, and Ravens and penalize the Eagles, cause that is what this was....

Apparently it was in Owens contract that he had until the start of free agency to void his contract, but the NFL said all players had to do it by the 21st of Feb....Sounds like a pretty good case to me....if it's in his contract they have to honor it...just like I said he had to honor the contract he signed....

As an aside....I wonder what this will mean for Northcutt and the Browns

Apparently it was in Owens contract that he had until the start of free agency to void his contract, but the NFL said all players had to do it by the 21st of Feb....Sounds like a pretty good case to me....if it's in his contract they have to honor it...just like I said he had to honor the contract he signed....

I've read about some OR thing in his contract that was supposed to make the nfl's side the right. I also read that for fear of the arbitrator ruling against them, meaning TO would be a free agent with no contract with anyone, the fortyniners quickly began negotiations to apease all sides. :(

Maybe the contract will show up on the smoking gun :)

T.O. was going to win the case..... The 49ers were desperate to make sure they didn't come out empty handed... so they squeezed this deal out.... AWWW.. I'm glad for McNabb and Co. I hope T.O. will help them get to the Superbowl.

I can never wish enough harm to the 49ers...

And I can never wish enough harm to the Ravens as well.. too bad... suckers.. :lol::D:lol:

I hope TO breaks his back.

On a sidenote, anyone here about Dominik Hasek (sp), the goalie for the Redwings? Well in short, Hasak announced on Feb 10 that he will not accept anymore payment from the Redwings because of a Groin Injury. Hasak hasn't accepted payment since Jan 9th.

A quote from the Red Wings GM: "He (Hasek) just felt that he wasn't doing what he really had set out to do which is to play hockey and play at a high level,'' Holland said. "At that time, he told me that he did not want to receive any further salary until he was ready to play.''

I don't care that he refuses payment. My mindset was that he helped his franchise a ton. He doesn't care about himself, rather the teams success. The NFL, for the most part, is starting to lose this art.

Thoughts?

You have the "thesmokinggun.com" in your favorites too? I've been checking there for John Kerry's list of world leaders that back him!! Which do you think will surface first? I say T.O.'s contract, just because the other is probably written in "crayola!" :lol:

First thing that comes to mind is a similiar event when Damon Stoudamire (portland trailblazers) challenged his agent about his drug use, and despite Union Rules, took a drug test that he passed to show his drug problems are in the past.

-- I know the character it shows when players do this.... but Hasek has been around a long time, and he's wealthy now I would assume. Also, what will the NHL say about his salary... ? Where does it go..? Does it go back to the team or owners, or to his favorite charity..? Can he even give it up when it's a contract.? Too many questions surround this " good-deed ".

On a sidenote, anyone here about Dominik Hasek (sp), the goalie for the Redwings? Well in short, Hasak announced on Feb 10 that he will not accept anymore payment from the Redwings because of a Groin Injury. Hasak hasn't accepted payment since Jan 9th.

A quote from the Red Wings GM: "He (Hasek) just felt that he wasn't doing what he really had set out to do which is to play hockey and play at a high level,'' Holland said. "At that time, he told me that he did not want to receive any further salary until he was ready to play.''

I don't care that he refuses payment. My mindset was that he helped his franchise a ton. He doesn't care about himself, rather the teams success. The NFL, for the most part, is starting to lose this art.

Thoughts?

I'm dumbfounded! Holy s**t!! :blink:

On a sidenote, anyone here about Dominik Hasek (sp), the goalie for the Redwings?  Well in short, Hasak announced on Feb 10 that he will not accept anymore payment from the Redwings because of a Groin Injury.  Hasak hasn't accepted payment since Jan 9th. 

I don't care that he refuses payment.  My mindset was that he helped his franchise a ton.  He doesn't care about himself, rather the teams success.  The NFL, for the most part, is starting to lose this art. 

Thoughts?

I'm dumbfounded! Holy s**t!! :blink:

You know Billy, it's sad that something like that is a surprise now adays. I mean, you wouldn't have something like that back in the 60s and 70s because their sport was a side job. Most people had regular jobs. But now-a-days, with the millions and millions these guys make, and something like Hasik comes around, re-affirms my faith that all athletes are not greedy.

Don't reward the 49ers, and Ravens and penalize the Eagles, cause that is what this was....

??????????

SF got brandon freaking whiting and we were held hostage in free agency waiting this thing out

Philly unloaded their 5th and a garbage defensive end

how was philly screwed??

The Niners made a trade that was in the best interests. Unfortunately the diva bitch got his way.

Id argue that this does not bode well for future CBA's anyway you want to slice it.

Don't reward the 49ers, and Ravens and penalize the Eagles, cause that is what this was....

??????????

SF got brandon freaking whiting and we were held hostage in free agency waiting this thing out

Philly unloaded their 5th and a garbage defensive end

how was philly screwed??

The Niners made a trade that was in the best interests. Unfortunately the diva bitch got his way.

Id argue that this does not bode well for future CBA's anyway you want to slice it.

First, if Owens had won his case(and it looks like he would have) then he would have signed with Philie and gave nothing to get him....instead, they had to give a player to 49ers that they would have kept, and they had to give a pick to the Ravens....So, they got one player they would have gotten anyway, and lost a player and a pick....That's screwed...Not badly mind you, it's not like they gave up a lot...

The 49ers made a trade that was dodgey...Blame the Ravens for not getting everything straight and trusting those crooks in San Fran....(Yeah, this whole thing is San Fran's fault)

Owens had a signed contract that stipulated when he became a FA , how can this hurt the collective bargaining agreement?

I think you will see more and more players adding a "no trade" clause into their contracts as a result of this....

I don't think we've even begun to see the ramifications of this deal yet!! This will be looked at as a benchmark case for DECADES to come, I assure you!

Why?

That's what I'm not understanding....He had in his contract the dates to be a free agent....the 49ers said otherwise.....apparently the NFL figured they'd lose, and so they tried to minimize the risks to them...You might see players through tantrums more, but most teams will ignore them....(pay very close attention Mr Dillon)...I have a feeling that the next time some little spoiled brat athlete sit out, a team will sue him for breach of contract....

I think what you'll see is less and less contracts have voidable years in them...it's stupid anyway....

I don't think we've even begun to see the ramifications of this deal yet!! This will be looked at as a benchmark case for DECADES to come, I assure you!

Why?

That's what I'm not understanding....He had in his contract the dates to be a free agent....the 49ers said otherwise.....apparently the NFL figured they'd lose, and so they tried to minimize the risks to them...You might see players through tantrums more, but most teams will ignore them....(pay very close attention Mr Dillon)...I have a feeling that the next time some little spoiled brat athlete sit out, a team will sue him for breach of contract....

I think what you'll see is less and less contracts have voidable years in them...it's stupid anyway....

It has set a precident for "special hearings for special people". Do you actually think this would have been done for a lesser player!?! I think not, but it will now.

Legalities aside, this snowball will build as it rolls. <_<

It has set a precident for "special hearings for special people". Do you actually think this would have been done for a lesser player!?! I think not, but it will now.

Legalities aside, this snowball will build as it rolls. <_<

But a lesser player doesn't often get a option out of his contract, that tends to come with higher saleries....

You have the "thesmokinggun.com" in your favorites too? I've been checking there for John Kerry's list of world leaders that back him!! Which do you think will surface first? I say T.O.'s contract, just because the other is probably written in "crayola!" :lol:

Since Kerry's list of supporters will never be used in a court of law, my guess is TO's contract will be the first to appear. :lol:

I'm sure it would be some fascinating reading. :blink:

thesmokinggun.com had some more steroid stuff today. It's worth a look.

Im glad to hear the above statement but this case Im happy with. but i could easily se lots of players trying to do this in years to come. Personally I hope he breaks his leg in preseason like Vicck did this year. Now the ravens have to get some help with WR. Heres a scary thought they get there seond round pick back. The bengals got Chad Johnson in the second round. :unsure:

Harold Henderson CEO of the Nfl's collective bargaining agreement' something or other.. , said that the T.O. case was a special circumstances case, and that there would not be another of it's Kind in years to come. " There won't be any other players suing to get out of deals ".--

What the phuck???? The legalities have been set in stone! What has been done cannot be undone!! Ladies and gentlemen...fasten your seatbelts!! :rolleyes: