Maurice Clarrett

Maurice Clarrett...talk about someone who's played so little football of late, but has been a focal point in the press! There must be something to this guy other than his legal team! What do you think?

I can always trust the BENGALSZONE AMBASSADOR Billy to resolve this issue on a thread just for this issue. :D:D

I look at simply as draft value.... In the 1995 draft... Curtis Martin was considered to be a lock for the 1st round...but after his coach at Pittsburgh bad mouthed him in the press, he slipped to the 3rd round and the rest is history...

Clarett has that same draft value....If he turns out to be a mistake, we only have 3 years to put up with it...and he'd have to beat out the incumbent to really make a stink !!

Also... If he pans out... Cincinnati has always done well with running backs taken after the 1st round...Corey,Rudi,Harold Green, etc.. etc..., , but If he pans out.. we could be the ones reaping the rewards !!

OK, I'll play devils advocate on this one and go out on a limb... Yes, he has tons of unknowns about him. Yes, he is young and immature. Yes, he hasn't played in sometime and his weight is an issue and skills aren't what some might be expecting. Maybe durability problems as well. However, when he was playing, he was quick, had excellent receiving skills out of the backfield and at the time was the next "shoe in" for the heisman (sp). I personally think he's a baby and needs to have someone whoop the dog crap out of him, but that is neither here nor there. "IF" we should happen to draft him, it definitely shouldn't be until the 3rd and after ALL defensive needs are met. This would be a pick strictly for POTENTIAL. The down side costs us 3 or 4 years, but the upside is BIG. So, I guess in the end I say, take a chance. Maybe I'm just OSU biased!! Oh yeah, he was a huge part of the National Championship as well. Anyway, one way to continue a thread is to disagree with everyone !!! WHODEY !!!

OK, I'll play devils advocate on this one and go out on a limb... Yes, he has tons of unknowns about him. Yes, he is young and immature. Yes, he hasn't played in sometime and his weight is an issue and skills aren't what some might be expecting. Maybe durability problems as well. However, when he was playing, he was quick, had excellent receiving skills out of the backfield and at the time was the next "shoe in" for the heisman (sp). I personally think he's a baby and needs to have someone whoop the dog crap out of him, but that is neither here nor there. "IF" we should happen to draft him, it definitely shouldn't be until the 3rd and after ALL defensive needs are met. This would be a pick strictly for POTENTIAL. The down side costs us 3 or 4 years, but the upside is BIG. So, I guess in the end I say, take a chance. Maybe I'm just OSU biased!! Oh yeah, he was a huge part of the National Championship as well. Anyway, one way to continue a thread is to disagree with everyone !!! WHODEY !!!

I'm with you Army. Even if we get a 3rd rounder for Dillon, why not use it on Clarett IF he's still around -- I doubt he'll make it past the 2nd. The only bad points with Clarett is the feeling of personal attacks against them for destroying a rule in the league that would fall eventually. And Yes, I'm OSU biased also. So (1) he should be ok in the NFL, most Buckeyes are and (2) Michigan sucks! :D

OOPS !!

No worries Army! If something is worth saying...it's worth saying TWICE!! :lol::lol:

Glad you saw it too .......... I thought I was in the Matrix for a minute. B)

I just don't think Clarett is a Lewis type guy.

You've all hit on talent ... debateable, durability .... debateable .... lack of character and maturity and add to the list that he seems willing to put himself above the team and the system and shows no loyalty to the organization ( Ohio St. ) that he played for.

If the best argument that can be made is that we would only have to put up with him for 3 years, then I think its obvious that we shouldn't draft him.

You've all hit on talent ... debateable, durability .... debateable .... lack of character and maturity and add to the list that he seems willing to put himself above the team and the system and shows no loyalty to the organization ( Ohio St. ) that he played for.

Yea, checkmate. You struck a nerve there. Down with Clarett :angry::angry::angry:

The only way that I see us taking a chance on him, is if Dillon goes to Oakland for a third and if Clarett is around at the time, we use that pick on Clarett. First of all, we need a running back to replace Dillon anyway. In regards to his age, I think his age is showing, that's all. He hasn't had that mentor or role model, I'm sure Marvin can fill the gaps there. He did with Ray ray.

Man I'm torn on this one.

Yea, checkmate. You struck a nerve there. Down with Clarett :angry::angry::angry:

Man I'm torn on this one.

Let's see if I can help with your dilemma.

The team that drafts this kid is going to get trashed by all the pundits and " experts " way worse than Buffalo did last year for drafting ........... whatsisname. Now I know you don't care what these guys think, and I don't either for that matter but it will be a major disrtaction for a long time, and with every thing else going on we just don't need it.

IF he does get on the field, every defensive player in football is going to start drooling when they see him. He's one of those guys who will get " blocked " 20 yards away from the play just so they can lay a lick on him. God help him if he ever actually gets to carry the football. Again, I don't care how many times he gets hit except that there's that durability problem we were talking about. How long will he even last ????

And lastly ..... he sued Ohio St. man. He sued the people that got him there .... for doing the right thing. That's saying " here hold all the things you've given me so I can slap you in the face ." That is totally humiliating. That is total disdain for the people who did for you. That kind of insult used to call for pistols at dawn.

Still having any misgivings ??????

Just how do people eat Crow these days..????

---If and I do say IF......we draft Clarett, and he runs over 1200 yards and scores 10 + touchdowns..?  What will you say then..?

---I love interpreting the Hypothetical... :lol:  :D  :lol:

You must be getting a little more sure of yourself. You went from 3 " ifs " in your first post down to 2 in this one. ;)

I'll start with saying that all of this is beside the point because ...... We Will Not Draft Clarett. Marvin Lewis has said that he will not take people he figures to be " projects " this year. I say Clarett is a project due to his age and lack of football experience. He'd have to be taught how to play at a professional level and how to conduct himself as one as well. He hasn't had the prep time. Secondly, before Lewis drafted Palmer he did evrything but a DNA test on the kid, and interviewed him and his references. Only after he was satisfied did Lewis pull the trigger on him. Honest to God now ...... do you think that Clarett could withstand that level of scrutiny ??? Lastly, you have me intrigued ....... what has made you think that Clarett will ever produce a 1200 yd season ... much less in his rookie year?? I've read too many of your posts to think that you just pulled that statement out of the air. Something has made you think its possible, and dam if I can think of what it might be.

The answer to your question is easy though. If Clarett were to run for 1200 yards in a Bengals uniform I'd be ecstatic. Doesn't mean I'd like him anymore, but I always like to see our players do well.

The reason I don't like him is the basis for my counter question. If we draft Clarett and he gains 1200 yds and scores 10 tds in his rookie season ...... do you believe that he'd honor his contract or would he demand a new deal and sit out and demand a trade if he didn't get it ???

Your move B)

Don't make it too easy for me......

The simple fact that Matt Mayock was quoted from Nfl Network saying that the Bengals were one of the teams that met with Clarett at the Combine for the longest periods of time says to me that Marvin Lewis has a distinct interest in him..

M.L. also has to respect the opinion of Alexander, because if anyone can turn a running back into a thousand yard workhorse it's him... Hell he made big 'ol fat Larry Kinnebrew (no offense) look good... :D

Secondly.. I never said he'd do it his rookie year... although, I do think that Rudi will struggle this year... I could be wrong, but going from Dillon to Rudi (despite last year ).. is still nerve racking to me,and to a lot of Bengal Fans...

As I said before.. the play that typifies Clarett as a running back to me was the fumble he caused on Sean Taylor in the Championship game.. Taylor has game breaking Speed, and had a sure touchdown... Clarett didn't give up on the play and took the ball away from him... Not only did he run hard when given the ball, but he made a play for his teammates....

Have the rules changed for him.. yes.. Has he changed the rules.. Yes... Does he have Questions yes..? But I can't take away from his football talent. When He works out next month and shows off that 4.45 speed at 6'0 230... he's gonna wow GM's and coaches...

and considering we'll be losing the greatest running back in Bengal history this offseason.. If i can get a guy of his abilities in the third round ( also with a chip on his shoulder ) I'd take him in a heart beat..

forget next move... that's checkmate son ! :rolleyes:

Wow, see what a little disagreement can lead to ?!?!?! Anyway, I think these are all great points. Nothing would please me more to see his punk ass get the SH1T knocked out of him by the likes of a Ray Lewis or someone to that extent, but at the same time, I would also like to see him in stripes producing like he did for the Buckeyes. Everything else is just that, Marvin would give this poor child a little direction and hopefully the motivation he needs to realize his potential. Go Marvin, Go Bengals, WHODEY !!!