landon and the run defense

bengalsLB

with landon johnson starting ever game between week 7 and week 17 our run

defense did very well only letting teams average 91 rushing yards per game.

w7 w8 w9 w10 w11 w12 w13 w14 w15 w16 w17

123 163 99 87 151 76 192 94 41 142 80

add it all up and u get 1248 divid that by the number of games and u get 91

as the average rushing yards per game when landon was middle linebacker.

just to give a perspective the top 5 rush defenses in the nfl

steelers=81.2 rypg

redskins=81.5rypg

chargers=81.7 rypg

broncos=94.5rypg

new england=98.2rypg

so in theory if landon johnson would have started evergame at middle linebacker

our rush defense would have been ranked fourth in the league

In last 8 games, NFL stats got Landon with 65 total tackles including 46 solos. Project that out over a full year and the Silent Assassin gets 128 tackles over the year.

Bengals team stats had Landon w/ much higher tackle total than NFL. But either way, there's zero question that Landon angles and knifes very well. Plus, he covers an awful lot of range to keep off the field.

The success of the run D does take quite a bit more than him but he fills a mean gap for his size.

Wow we really came a long way in regards to depth at the LB position !!!

I'm just starting to get a better feeling about our defense, but still not sold.

This was metioned another time here, but since nothing else is going on, do you see the possibility of LJ pushing Simmons out the door when it's time for a new deal for him ?? Just curious on the thoughts around here. I'm not saying Simmons needs to be gone, just keeping the conversation going.

WHODEY !!!

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out the Thurman pick. Maybe it's for depth and they think they're going to lose Webster. But after the way Landon performed last year, I think we've found a starting middle linebacker. Maybe with all our talent at linebacker, and lack thereof at DL, maybe we should switch to 3-4. Just a thought.....

Wow we really came a long way in regards to depth at the LB position !!!

I'm just starting to get a better feeling about our defense, but still not sold.

This was metioned another time here, but since nothing else is going on, do you see the possibility of LJ pushing Simmons out the door when it's time for a new deal for him ?? Just curious on the thoughts around here. I'm not saying Simmons needs to be gone, just keeping the conversation going.

WHODEY !!!

This is something I have posted about a few times. I expect Landon Johnson to take over the WLB spot from Simmons within 2 years. My guess would be start of 06 he becomes starter. Simmons has always been a solid, maybe even good starter, but nothing more, he doesnt really make many plays, and seems more like a role player then anything. I think if we let him go and plugged Landon Johnson in that spot, there wouldnt be a dropoff at all.

maybe we should switch to 3-4. Just a thought.....

For the 200th time, we will not be base 3-4, ever, ML doesnt want to do that. Listen to him when he talks, read his quotes when they are on bengals.com. He has said countless times, we will not be playing a base 3-4. He would have no reason to lie about that, give it up, its not happening. We will mix a 3-4 in every now and then, but that wont be our main defense.

My suggestion had nothing to do with what Marvin wants. It was just a thought. Get your panties out of a bunch.

It only makes sense to do that when you have more talent at LB than at DL.

Considering that we will be run the 3-4 more it makes perfect sense.

Brian Simmons isn't going to be around forever.

My guess is that Thurman and Landon are going to split time throughout the season .

Sent : June 30, 2005 9:11:24 AM

To : "mike hauptkorn" <linebacker_91@hotmail.com>

Subject : RE: signing draft picks

| | | Inbox

Nothing happens with the first day draft picks until after the Fourth and even beyond, usually, Henry is challenging and they arn't going to a 4-4. They are still a 4-3, but will use a 3-4 more than they have. Landon will be used on third down (more as a cover guy I would imagine) as well as a huge staple on special teams. Thanks for the note. Â

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thu 6/30/2005 12:46 AM

To: CIN-ebag

Cc:

Subject: signing draft picks

how are the talks progressing with pollack, thurman and henry?

is henry challenging for the #3 WR position? i have heard on occasions the

bengals will be in a 4-4 defensive formation is this true? and finally how

will landon johnson contributed since Odell took the

ILB job? will we see himm on passing downs?

landons going tplay special teams and contribute on passing downs

This is something I have posted about a few times. I expect Landon Johnson to take over the WLB spot from Simmons within 2 years. My guess would be start of 06 he becomes starter. Simmons has always been a solid, maybe even good starter, but nothing more, he doesnt really make many plays, and seems more like a role player then anything. I think if we let him go and plugged Landon Johnson in that spot, there wouldnt be a dropoff at all.

I agree. LJ will just get hurt too much and wear down in the middle I think, like Miller. He is an ideal replacement for Simmons and should match or exceed Simmons' production right out of the chute if he takes over.

My suggestion had nothing to do with what Marvin wants.  It was just a thought.  Get your panties out of a bunch.

It only makes sense to do that when you have more talent at LB than at DL.

It makes no sense at all when you have NO NOSE TACKLE. Hello? Wake Up? Grow up? GET A FREAKING CLUE ALREADY!

What kind of moron are you?!?!? What kind of 3-4 has no nose tackle? Please don't post here again until you have an idea of what you're talking about. Idiot.

Settle down, guys. What he meant was we have no one who is able to play a true nose tackle position - ie no Washington or Adams type player. What we have are one gap players who make plays and don't just tie up blockers.

the steelers did well with chri hoke last yearand if i recall correctly he isn't even

300 pounds

I'm sure Robinson could tie up a couple of blockers to let the LB's make some plays. It's worth a look, is all I'm saying. The Steelers and Patriots run the 3-4 and do very well with it. The Ravens didn't do all that bad, either. Until they played us last year. B)

OK, first, when I started with "Settle down, guys" I was addressing calling others "idiots." There's no reason for that. Remember that no one on here is typing an edited manuscript. Give the benefit of the doubt whenever possible (and twice on Sunday :) ).

Now, as far as our Bengals playing a 3-4 predominatly, you can forget about it. If ML wanted to play a 3-4 predominately he would have when he had both Saragusa and Adams to rotate in the middle. Instead he opted to keep his biggest and best runstoppers on the field.

Niether Robinson or Thornton are true two gap linemen who take up blockers. Robinson is more than Thornton and that's why he's been moved to the left side sending Thornton to his more natural right side DL position. Thornton has been playing out of position on the left for two years and I'm excited to see what penetration he can achieve this year.

Anyway, they will play the 3-4 as a variation from their base 4-3. Both Thurman and Johnson will see the field plenty. I believe it has been said before, but Johnson is being groomed to take over on the weak side behind Simmons, and will do so in 06 or 07.

Wasn't that just about the same time that our DL "lost" Tony Williams for the season ?

Wasn't that just about the same time that our DL "lost" Tony Williams for the season ?

yeah tony williams going down was a blessing in disguise

For what it's worth, I read an interview with Brian Billick that said ML initiated the Ravens' switch to 3-4 before he left.

But that has nothing to do with this year's Bengals DL. I would even suggest that the 3-4 vs. 4-3 debate that resurfaces here once a month is the issue ML has been most clear about this off-season. That is, the switch won't be happening anytime soon. He even downplayed the use of multiple formations, saying that that was something that weaker teams needed to do to utilize their players' skills.

Though I dare not put words in his mouth, I think a good summary of ML's take on this year's front 7 is this:

a) our players are particularly quick and athletic;

b ) they will have the freedom to make plays;

c) they will predominantly start in a 4-3 formation;

d) any variation on that scheme will be so insignificant as to not deserve special mention.

And BTW, I've also gone on the record as saying that Landon will replace Simmons in the immediate future. And a result of this, in combination with his backloaded contract, is that Simmon's job will be on the line the next couple of off-seasons.

I don't get your numbers to start the discussion. 1248 divided by 11 has us giving up over 113 yards rushing in those last 11 games. Our rushing defense was not good.

f**k i miss coculated :(:angry: i'm sorry to ever one who read this

thanks for pointing out my error messenger guard

I don't get your numbers to start the discussion.  1248 divided by 11 has us giving up over 113 yards rushing in those last 11 games.  Our rushing defense was not good.

f**k i miss coculated :(:angry: i'm sorry to ever one who read this

thanks for pointing out my error messenger guard

lol you would have gotten away with it too...

Foiled again. :P

I expect Landon Johnson to take over the WLB spot from Simmons within 2 years. My guess would be start of 06 he becomes starter. Simmons has always been a solid, maybe even good starter, but nothing more, he doesnt really make many plays, and seems more like a role player then anything. I think if we let him go and plugged Landon Johnson in that spot, there wouldnt be a dropoff at all.

No doubt has the coverage skills to make an excellent weakside backer.

And he should be able to play the run at that position better than he did the crack at it he had in last year's season opener when Simmons was out and Caleb got benched. Curtis Martin tore the right side of the D up and a lot of that was because Miller and Johnson struggled vs. run. Obviously it was both of their first action in a NFL game and it was against one of the best pulling and downfield blocking O-lines in the league, but both got washed out and cut way too much.

Still, Landon looks better playing with range when he's not bound by a sideline. And I'm not convinced he'll get penciled in anywhere in the long run given the chronic problems he's had with both shoulders. I'd still be looking at WSLB in next year's draft.