We gotta wait

I read a great post from SI...I think it was....a few days ago. Anyway, it said wait..yeah wait, until the overpriced FA's go there way. And wait till they come. And.....they will come. I have faith in ML. Yeah, I think Vincent is out of our picture. In the near future I see ML signing a couple of FA's on the cheap. I'de bet on it. A OG or DE..maybe a LB. I wish I was a fly on the wall of ML's office. Anyway, I won't make another post till the schedule is official. And I'll make a little prediction, the Bengals will be playing the Redskins in the first 3 weeks of the season at jack kent cooke stadium..and I expect all you guys there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not so fast, it looks like the allure of playing for Marvin and a rejuvenated Cincinnati team is appealing to me FAs then we think. This is from Bengals.com today

TUESDAY UPDATE: With Eagles CB Troy Vincent not returning from Kansas City until late Wednesday afternoon, his agent doesn't think he'll get around to making any decisions about taking another trip or choosing among the Chiefs, Bengals, and Bills. It's believed that while that is happening, there is a mutual interest between Vincent's teammate and fellow corner Bobby Taylor and Cincinnati. . .

The agent for Dolphins safety Brock Marion and Redskins receiver Patrick Johnson said both his clients are being pursued by several teams but that their preferences are "to land in Cincinnati. They were both impressed with what's going on there and that they're headed in the right direction," said Jordan Woy. . .

The Bengals talked to Eagles guard Bobbie Williams' people Tuesday while losing another one, Matt O'Dwyer, to Tampa Bay. The Bengals didn't pursue O'Dwyer when he lost his job this past season after making 54 starts in Cincinnati since 1999. . . 3-8-04, 9:30 p.m.

Great News and even better news with Oakland beginning to show interest in a possible trade for Dillon......Hopefully things heat up there as well.

The fact that our starting secondary could look like this, makes me very happy.. We could finally say that we have a strength in the secondary instead of a bunch of bums.

LCB---Tory James

SS----Brock Marion

FS----Kim Herring

RCB---Bobby Taylor...

with Weathersby playing the nickle ,and a high draft pick to play in our dime..? now that would be a very solid secondary indeed.. :rolleyes:

The fact that our starting secondary could look like this, makes me very happy.. We could finally say that we have a strength in the secondary instead of a bunch of bums.

LCB---Tory James

SS----Brock Marion

FS----Kim Herring

RCB---Bobby Taylor...

with Weathersby playing the nickle ,and a high draft pick to play in our dime..? now that would be a very solid secondary indeed.. :rolleyes:

Why would we pick a high draft pick at secondary with that lineup? We still will probably have Myles and the Bengals are negotiating with Beckett too. I think it would be a waste pick to pick up anyone in the secondary this season. If you're referring to a mentor or teacher role for a high draft pick, I also don't think that's a good idea. These guys will probably sign deals of about three years, that's the norm for older players, so we probably could get a secondary guy next season. What do you think?

Good question if we do get a starting lineup of CB T.James T.Vincent SS R.Beckett K.Herring. With Weathersby playing nickel with J.Burris. If we do draft a CB when will he play. I think we'll have to go DL in the 1st. V.Wolfolk, T.Haris, K.Udez ( R.Starks & W.Smith not crazy about both of these ) But these guys will play this year. Again if we draft a LB I don't think he'll play this year that much either with Hardy, Webster & Simmions. Which leaves us with the best available DL to take in the draft.

Peace OUT

Good question if we do get a starting lineup of CB T.James T.Vincent SS R.Beckett K.Herring. With Weathersby playing nickel with J.Burris. If we do draft a CB when will he play. I think we'll have to go DL in the 1st. V.Wolfolk, T.Haris, K.Udez ( R.Starks & W.Smith not crazy about both of these ) But these guys will play this year. Again if we draft a LB I don't think he'll play this year that much either with Hardy, Webster & Simmions. Which leaves us with the best available DL to take in the draft.

Peace OUT

I wonder if Burris will even be a Bengal for 2004. His injury and quickly fading lack of benefits of keeping him around, may force the Bengals to cut him. Then again, he could just retire. I also believe we need to give Weathersby a chance to either succeed or fail, we still don't really know what we have in him yet.

He has to be good, wasn't he supposed to go in the first round in the 2003 draft before he was shot?

Good question if we do get a starting lineup of CB T.James T.Vincent SS R.Beckett K.Herring.  With Weathersby playing nickel with J.Burris.  If we do draft a CB when will he play.  I think we'll have to go DL in the 1st.  V.Wolfolk, T.Haris, K.Udez ( R.Starks & W.Smith not crazy about both of these ) But these guys will play this year.  Again if we draft a LB I don't think he'll play this year that much either with Hardy, Webster & Simmions.  Which leaves us with the best available DL to take in the draft.

Peace OUT

I wonder if Burris will even be a Bengal for 2004. His injury and quickly fading lack of benefits of keeping him around, may force the Bengals to cut him. Then again, he could just retire. I also believe we need to give Weathersby a chance to either succeed or fail, we still don't really know what we have in him yet.

He has to be good, wasn't he supposed to go in the first round in the 2003 draft before he was shot?

WOOT, I called that one!

I also believe we need to give Weathersby a chance to either succeed or fail, we still don't really know what we have in him yet.

He was definately listed as a 1st rounder, and he has the skills...Last year was tough cause he started late, and couldn't break into the lineup cause their was better special teamers than he was and that was the secret to making the lineup for a rookie, and by the time he was probably ready, Marvin didn't want to take the chance of putting a rookie in to make a mistake at a key time during a push for a playoff spot....I would say Coach Lewis and Coach Frazier have some confidence in him to release 2 starters from last year without having anyone signed to a contract....They know something we don't

I also believe we need to give Weathersby a chance to either succeed or fail, we still don't really know what we have in him yet. 

He was definately listed as a 1st rounder, and he has the skills...Last year was tough cause he started late, and couldn't break into the lineup cause their was better special teamers than he was and that was the secret to making the lineup for a rookie, and by the time he was probably ready, Marvin didn't want to take the chance of putting a rookie in to make a mistake at a key time during a push for a playoff spot....I would say Coach Lewis and Coach Frazier have some confidence in him to release 2 starters from last year without having anyone signed to a contract....They know something we don't

Good point Kev. Do you think that maybe our success last season may have negative trends? Think about this for a second before you guys clinch your keyboards preparing to slam me as a "know it all". If, we didn't win as many games or had a playoff push.. more than likely, Palmer would have started, Wash would have had more playing time, as would have Weathersby.. Rudi would have had more playing time (lets face facts, Dillon probably would have sat the rest of the season).. all in all, we'd have more of an idea of who can play and who can't. It's definately a good discussion to propose.

To answer your question Kirk, you can never have too many good corners and safeties... If we draft for the future which is the drafts' intent... we could add playmakers to be groomed in our system..

Also, we still have younger guys on our squad that we're not going to get a lot out of athletically anyway..Sure they may be good special teams players and teammates etc.. but if they were put in a staters role.. they'd struggle.. guys like Kaesviharn... who may play underneath stuff pretty well ,has no speed, and is a liability one on one...Roberts, lacks size,and quickness, but he's tough.. Not enough if a starter went down.. and too much to ask him to be our nickleback.Reggie Myles is nothing more than a special teamer.. and he's a good one.. If he could return kicks it would guarantee him a roster spot for years. Marquand Manuel is a "bubble" player.. drafted to start...but is barely holding on to a special teams roster spot..

point being.. let's say we add Brock Marion , and Taylor or Vincent.. they're not gonna hold a roster spot for too long, so why not draft a replacement this year... the defensive line can be fixed with 2 guys....and we'll still have a decent rotation behind them. the o-line needs 2 guys, throw in a linebacker , and a safety , and a corner.. and ..since the trade with Dillon is on the table again... we'll have to add a running back.. and I would expect our 3rd round pick to be Clarett.

Good point Kev. Do you think that maybe our success last season may have negative trends? Think about this for a second before you guys clinch your keyboards preparing to slam me as a "know it all". If, we didn't win as many games or had a playoff push.. more than likely, Palmer would have started, Wash would have had more playing time, as would have Weathersby.. Rudi would have had more playing time (lets face facts, Dillon probably would have sat the rest of the season).. all in all, we'd have more of an idea of who can play and who can't. It's definately a good discussion to propose.

I definately think the team was a little too successful last year...Not so much with the record, but if the team would have been eliminated a little earlier the younger guys could have played more, Palmer would have some starts, and their wouldn't be nearly the uproar for starting Palmer as there is...Plus a few spots higher in the draft would have been nicer as well considering how many holes have to be filled...But on the plus side, Marvin helped generate a lot of attention to the team, and helped get rid of some of the stigma attached to the team, and honestly that's definately worth a little setback with the development of players.

we'll have to add a running back.. and I would expect our 3rd round pick to be Clarett.

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is the most overated piece of s**t in the draft...I'd rather see them use a first round pick on a RB then waste any pick on this waste of space....

Besides, I can see him being available around round 5 or 6...But he isn't even worth that....ugh

I think it's natural to consider that line of thought - wouldn't we be better off if we had lost more instead - but I don't believe it. First, as a fan, I don't watch seasons, I watch games. If I'm investing my time and money, I want to see the best possible effort and the best chance of winning.

Secondly, and more convincingly, consider this: 11 years of losing and trying guys out didn't help us much, did it?

I think winning breeds winning, if anything does.