New Broadcaster

Kirkendall

Orioles voice set to succeed Nuxhall in radio broadcast booth

By John Fay

The Cincinnati Enquirer

The Reds appear to be set to name Steve Stewart as Joe Nuxhall's replacement in the radio booth.

Stewart, who is part of the Baltimore Orioles' broadcast team, could be named as soon as today.

Reds chief operating officer John Allen said an announcement would come "very soon" but would not say who was the club's choice.

Nuxhall will cut his schedule to 80 games this season and retire before the 2005 season.

Stewart was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

Joe Sunderman, considered by many to be the frontrunner for the Reds' job, withdrew from consideration.

"He told me he was flattered, but because of family commitments and other commitments he was pulling out," Allen said. "I assume the other commitment is Xavier basketball."

Asked if Sunderman had been offered the job, Allen said, "I don't think so."

Sunderman has a connection to chief operating officer Carl Lindner (his wife is one of Lindner's assistants), so he might have been dealing directly with the CEO.

Others in the running for the job were Dan Hoard, Jeff McCarragher and former Reds Tracy Jones and Chris Welsh.

But Jones has not been interviewed, and hiring Welsh would leave Fox Sports Network without a color analyst six weeks from Opening Day.

Stewart works for WBAL-AM (1090) in Baltimore, the flagship station of the Orioles, and does 25-30 games a year as the team's No. 3 radio broadcaster.

Hoard is the voice of University of Cincinnati football and basketball and a Channel 19 sports anchor.

McCarragher is the play-by-play man for the Norfolk (Va.) Tides, the New York Mets' Triple-A affiliate.

If you haven't done so yet, read the article about this on the Enquirer on line.

I tell you watching the Reds is like watching a car wreck. You want to look away cause you know what's going to happen, but you can't. You just stand there and watch it ...... and then when its all over You get sick.