Reds Pick up Webber and Weathers

Kirkendall

I have to give O'Brien credit for working on the pitching staff thus far.

CINCINNATI -- After an uneventful Winter Meetings, things have certainly picked up since the Reds' top brass returned to Cincinnati.

Less that 24 hours after acquiring right-handed starter Ramon Ortiz from the Angels, the Reds announced that they've signed right-hander relievers David Weathers and Ben Weber to one-year deals. Although financial terms were not immediately disclosed by the club, Weather's contract includes a a club option for 2006.

A 14-year veteran, this will be Weathers' second stint in Cincinnati. He spent the first half of 1998 with the Reds, going 2-4 with a 6.21 ERA in 16 appearances (nine starts) before being picked up off the waiver wire by Milwaukee.

Last season the well-traveled hurler went a combined 7-7 with a 4.15 ERA in two starts and 64 relief appearances for the Mets, Astros and Marlins.

Because of his ability to pitch both as a starter and out of the bullpen, Weathers will likely fill the swingman role filled by Todd Van Poppel last season.

Weber was one of the American League's best relievers between 2001 and 2003, going 18-5 with a 2.86 ERA and seven saves in 181 appearances over the three-year stretch. However, he pitched in only 18 games last season because of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Weber kid sounds like a great pickup. Hopefully we'll have a good mix of vet and youth that works out well next year. Add the 'Kearns is successful at third experiment' and we could be dangerous.

You know, I think that way every season before training camp. And you know what else; I'm thinking we'll be good this year. I'm too gullible, I SWEAR!

I've been hearing that the Kearns experiment is a disaster so far. I was kind of hoping it would work so Griffey can get out of center and maybe save a leg

Really? That sucks. Hopefully they give him through spring training to get an idea of how well Kearns will do -- knowing the Reds, that's a pipe-dream.

Yeah, I like what O'Brien is doing with the pitching staff. Weber was one of the the Angels best relievers during their world series run posting a 2.30 ERA in a 3 year stretch. Very good signing by O'Brien...

I've also heard that Kearns at third has been a mess, so they're looking to trade one of the 4 outfielders for pitching...

I've also heard that Kearns at third has been a mess, so they're looking to trade one of the 4 outfielders for pitching...

I wouldn't have a problem with that. The only one I wouldn't trade -- and this may surprise you RedsFan -- is Willie Mo. I'd let Kearns, Dunn, or Griffey go in a trade as long as we get something more than "pitching prospects" in return.

I wouldn't have a problem with that. The only one I wouldn't trade -- and this may surprise you RedsFan -- is Willie Mo. I'd let Kearns, Dunn, or Griffey go in a trade as long as we get something more than "pitching prospects" in return.

I agree with you on Pena, but you can't get rid of Dunn. The other two are expendable for sure mostly due to their history of injuries. I'd like to see the Reds sign a halfway descent third baseman like Tony Batista or someone of that nature. He strikes out alot and that would give us two that would be doing alot of whiffing, but I think he could provide some production plus his stance is cool as hell.

Wow, world series here we come!

Why is it that the Mariners and the Mets can spend so much money, but we can't.

At least there is football to look forward to while the Reds stink it up again.

It's not the Reds problem, it's the current MLB-Labor agreement refusing to install a salary cap -- luxury tax is a PR move, not an MLB move. Therefore, the better teams come from larger markets, i.e New York, Boston, Seattle.