Moving to Cincinnati

Hugebillsfan

I just wrote this long email to all of you in Bengal land asking input on living in Cincy/ Northern Kentucky. While sending it I lost the message. In short- my wife is on me to move to your town. We currently live in Clearwater,Fl and we are both teachers. I have zero interest in moving, but we just had our first child. We are teachers are our income would go up greatly by relocating. We could also have an awesome house which is not possible living in Florida. I just married into a huge golf and softball family, so that would be fun. Can some of you email me about quality of life in Cincy. If you ask Florida people, they say it is dirty and gross much like my home town of Buffalo. Our child ( A BIlls fan from birth) would grow up with a huge family around him. Tell me in your response if you like living in cincy and tell me the good and bad points. Email me here or at Hugebillsfan1@yahoo.com Thanks Doug in Fla - Sorry Bills 31 Bengals 17 (12/19)

Great place to live with a family. It is not so good for young professionals due to lack of "hip" entertainment choices. The one thing that surprises most people when they move here is the cliques. West siders and east siders do not hang out together ever. People have groups of friends that they have had since high school and it is tough to break into the group. West side is less supportive of outsiders than the east side, but the bias is everywhere. The city is very clean however. Commute time to work is nice for most people. There is a fairly good art community. Almost all crime is focused in a small cluster of neighborhoods that you will probably never visit. Also, the region is really set up as a series of small communities. Your lifestyle and experience can vary considerably depending on which small community you choose to live in. Welcome to the city. Bills are going down in 2 weeks!

Think Mason. Teachers get great pay and benefits and it's a very nice area to live in for families just starting. It's about 20 miles Northeast of downtown Cincinnati. Look it up and check it out.. other areas North of Cincy are developing for the past 5 years into real nice areas. Some GREAT golf courses also...

I'll let the others who're living there currently respond, but I prefer the northern Kentucky side of the river. Of course I may be a little biased since I'm a Kentuckian. :D I lived in the Highland Heights/Cold Spring area of N. Kentucky a summer and loved it. There are parts of Cincy that would fall into that "dirty and gross" category, but there are plenty of places around town, especially on the Kentucky side, that are really nice.

Oh, and by the way, we avenge our overtime loss last year. Bengals: 30 Bills: 27 in OT.

Man I've been to Clearwater, and there is NO Doubt in my mind that living in Cincinnati is a upgrade. :D

I lived past the east side, in Bethel, near East Fork Lake..... and worked in Blue Ash... Lot of construction on 275, but it still only took an hour to travel my 45 miles to the office.

Each area has it's merits, depends on what you're looking for. Just post your "needs/desires" and I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations.

"Yes, I'm sure he's going to take in a lot from a guy named Diesel at a Bengals web forum."

No, but he would likely research the 2 or 3 areas of town that a local recommends. He would also likely end up at one of the areas a local recommends. Why else is he posting this here. Cincinnati is not a complicated market and somebody who has been living here their entire life can sum up most of the neighborhoods and the lifestyle it affords.

"Yes, I'm sure he's going to take in a lot from a guy named Diesel at a Bengals web forum."

No, but he would likely research the 2 or 3 areas of town that a local recommends. He would also likely end up at one of the areas a local recommends. Why else is he posting this here. Cincinnati is not a complicated market and somebody who has been living here their entire life can sum up most of the neighborhoods and the lifestyle it affords.

Oh thanks for clearing that up.. I was afraid you'd take that as a joke.. :P

LOL Kirk!  If he likes football the West Side actually has good high school football too!  When was the last time Mason or Lakota had a team that didn't stink up the suburbs all the way to Middletown? :)

Oh, ouch man. Actually, I played for Mason and we were the first team to get into the playoffs from Mason -- that was in 1997, so you may be onto something there. High school football definitely benefits the areas other than the north around Cincy, I'll definitely give you that. :lol:

I grew up east side and married a west side girl. I'll sum those two areas up by discribing our 10 year reunions...

East side - coffee cups and wine glasses.

West side - plastic cups with beer.

'NOUGH SAID.

ROFL EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never heard it put better....

Of course there's also

East side private fenced in back yard...

Open front door and front front yard, grandma across the street, cousins next door.

LOL Kirk!  If he likes football the West Side actually has good high school football too!  When was the last time Mason or Lakota had a team that didn't stink up the suburbs all the way to Middletown? :)

Oh, ouch man. Actually, I played for Mason and we were the first team to get into the playoffs from Mason -- that was in 1997, so you may be onto something there. High school football definitely benefits the areas other than the north around Cincy, I'll definitely give you that. :lol:

Ohio State Champion Cardinals

Elder Purple Panthers

LaSalle whatever they are

West Side High School Football is like Texas High School Football!

BEER!

As a New Yorker who is married to a west side girl, that beer comment was great. Cincy is a great city IMO. We have thought about eventually moving there. While I will miss a lot about NYC, I think Cincy has a lot to offer. Great resaturants, good art/theatre/music, major sports teams, good schools (private mostly). The one thing I worry abou is the High School/clique thing. I have never lived in Cincy but just from regularly visiting over the last 10 years, its definitely true. Also to me, its got more of a southern influence/mentality than many other midwestern cities. As a New Yorker, that is sometimes difficult to deal with. Overall though, I think its a very nice and livable city.

Cincinnati isnt a good place to raise a kid. I think Kentucky would be a better place. A city like Lexington. Its nice, many sites to go, small. Or go to a small town. Like Winchester. They have many teaching jobs there.

Everything is cheaper here. Gas is cheaper, food is cheaper, clothes is cheaper. Its a good place to raise your kids.

But, Cincinnati has better schools for kids. I went to Westren Hills. Everyone accepted people. And when I came down to KY for my senior year, I went to a school with a bad race problem.

I grew up east side and married a west side girl. I'll sum those two areas up by discribing our 10 year reunions...

East side - coffee cups and wine glasses.

West side - plastic cups with beer.

'NOUGH SAID.

lol thats the funniest thing ive heard all day. i havent been to cincy but ive heard alot about it.

Thank you to everyone who responded. To answer your question about lifestyle and neighborhood choice, my taiste goes beyond my income. My wife is the practical one. I for one, am totally sold on Triple Crown in Kentucky. To me, it looks clean, classy and new. I am guessing ( with an anticipated combined income of 80 - 100k) that is totally out of our price range. I just married into a family who owns a softball complex and golf course in Goshen, Ohio so I would like to be somewhat close to that area. Goshen is too rural for me though. Deer Track is the golf course and Expressway Park in the softball complex. One feature of the neighborhoods I have seen is they are all on hills. Where can you find a nice residential neighborhood that is flat and located close to a main highway with stores near you. My other dilemma, is that we need to work in Ohio, to make any money. From all the calls I have made Kentucky teachers do as poorly as Florida teachers. I can not and will not move for the same low pay. Mason and Blue Ash do seem to pay the best. If my wife and I get hired by one of the better paying districts, our combined pay will increase from 70 - to the 80 to 100 range - worth being unhappy for in my opinion. I do love the Reds games and it is only 8 hours from my home of Buffalo. I have really enjoyed all of your comments, so keep sending them. Sorry that Buffalo is going to have to put a whoopin on your boys next week. I purchased tickets today for the Bills/ Bengals game. I can not believe there will not be a ton of scalpers out on gameday, but everyone I asked mentioned that I probably won't get an inexpensive seat as people are thinking playoffs. I will be at the game next week with a Bills coat on in section 128 row 22. If you see me, say high and i will buy you a beer.

How would you describe yourself: yuppie, hippie, blue collar, workaholic, family man, etc.? Do you like sprawling suburban neighborhoods with strip malls that have chain stores? Do you like old suburbs with locally owned stores that are not part of a chain? Triple Crown is nice and based on that type of neighborhood I am going with suburban sprawl. You would do well to look toward the northeast part of the city to get neighborhoods like Triple Crown for reasonable prices. Blue Ash, Montgomery, West Chester, Sharonville, and South Lebanon (which is pretty far out) all come to mind as areas you may want to look.