Reds decline to offer Larkin a contract

bengalsfan33

This is a pitiful thing to do, to a such classy guy. Screw the Reds and their crappy organization. I'm done with them!

By John Fay

Enquirer staff writer

larkin_175x130.jpg

Larkin through the years

Barry Larkin's career as a Cincinnati Red offically ended today with the announcement that the club was not inviting him back.

Reds general Dan O'Brien and manager Dave Miley informed Larkin of the decision early this afternoon by phone.

"Dan O'Brien said thank you," Larkin said from his Orlando, Fla. home. "Miles said thank you. What else can be said?"

Larkin, 40, who spent his entire 19-year major league career with the Reds was prepared for the news.

"All indicators were this was going to happen," he said. "It doesn't disappoint me. It doesn't shock me."

Larkin, a free agent, plans to pursue offers to play elsewhere. "I'm going to see what's out there," he said. "I've never been down this road before. I don't know what to expect. I don't know what other teams think of me."

And looking back?

"The first thing I think of the 1990 World Series," he said. "I've had great relationships with a lot of people up there. When I came into the organization. I didn't know how long or how good my run with be. It's been long and it's been good."

SOURCE: http://reds.enquirer.com/2004/10/12/wwwlarkin12.html

Maybe they didn't go about it eh right way, but Barry Larkin is not in the plans. You can't rely on him to stay healthy and keeping him around would make either Lopez or Machado play in Louisville. He still can play, when healthy. If he really wanted to just play, he would accept anything the Reds would give him. Right now, though, it doesn't look like they are willing to give him anything. This is a step in the right direction, but he will be missed.

This is a pitiful thing to do, to a such classy guy. Screw the Reds and their crappy organization. I'm done with them.

I said the same thing when they dealt Big Klu to the Pirates.

This is sad news, but it can't really come as a surprise to anyone who has followed the Reds. It was only Lindners intervention after last year that kept him with the club ( as a player ) this year.

In defense of the organization, Larkin did say that he only wanted to play for 1 more year and then retire to the front office when he got the deal last year. Well ... he got his 1 year deal and admittedly it went pretty good for him .... so now he says that he wants 1 more year ... again. I saw this coming when he told the Reds to cancel his retirement celebration.

Larkin has been a class guy since the day he joined the organization, but he should have retired this year as planned and taken the office job that had been offered to him. Sadly, now his career will end on another team when he gets injured and put on IR. He deserved better, and so did us fans. :(

I think it is time for him to go. We need to free up the money to get a decent pitcher. Larkin has been a great ballplayer, but his time is up. Too little production, too many injuries. Wish we could show Griffrey Jr. to the door also. These two have been a drain on our team for too long. Let's let the young guys play and get some pitching.

I think it is time for him to go.  We need to free up the money to get a decent pitcher.  Larkin has been a great ballplayer, but his time is up.  Too little production, too many injuries.  Wish we could show Griffrey Jr. to the door also.  These two have been a drain on our team for too long.  Let's let the young guys play and get some pitching.

;) Larkins deal was 700,000, or about a couple hundred k over league minimum + incentives. We're not going to get the level of pitcher we need for the amount of money that Larkin was tying up.

As to Griffey, he's now a 5 - 5 guy. He can nix any deal that he doesn't like and the Reds have to maintain him at his current contract for the duration. The only way to trade him at this point is if he has a monster year next year and plays every game up to his old form ...... and if he does that, then who the hell wants to trade him ????????????? Catch 22 damned if you don't .... damned if you do B)

its a sad thing to do and a pretty much sums up the reds organization at this point. how can you let a guy go that is the definition of the club, a major leader on the team, a former mvp, and just a flat out great guy. we keep griffey's sorry ass but let a guy go thats meant more to this team over the years than anyone besides casey.

I thought seeing eric davis in dodger blue was the worst thing ive seen in baseball, seeing larkin in another uniform will now be the worst.

he shoulda ended his career a red. flat out.

Either way guys, this needs to happen. I'd be more willing to believe the Reds gave Larkin an offer and Barry denied it because I can't believe Carl has that small of an understanding of how the public in Cincy reacts toward Larkin.

This happened last year anyway, so until the first game of the '05 season starts, I won't cry any tears of the goodbye trail for Larkin just yet.

I do hope if he doesn't return as a Red that he just retires and goes into the Hall as a Red.

Perhaps front office work?

Either way guys, this needs to happen. I'd be more willing to believe the Reds gave Larkin an offer and Barry denied it because I can't believe Carl has that small of an understanding of how the public in Cincy reacts toward Larkin.

This happened last year anyway, so until the first game of the '05 season starts, I won't cry any tears of the goodbye trail for Larkin just yet.

I do hope if he doesn't return as a Red that he just retires and goes into the Hall as a Red.

Perhaps front office work?

Yeah, it's going to kill me to see him in another uniform if that's what he does. I grew up watching the guy.

I don't think any other team will pick up a 40 yr old shortstop whose batting average has declined, and is often injured. Yes, he did contribute for a lot of years. He also was well paid for doing his job; he will not have to worry about putting food on the table.

Julio Franco was a second baseman and moved to first. He's, at last I noticed, 45 years old. I think most people see his (Larkin) value as a clubhouse leader than a statisical powerhouse and could very well be picked up by another team; not a good one, but someone will pick him up.

My whole point is that we'll never find the next SS if we continue to shelve the young players for a SS that's not going to be on the team in the future.

On a sidenote, it looked like Felipe Lopez started to get comfertable at the MLB level. He just needs to work on his defense a little and I think we'll be fine at SS. Not Larkin's calibur, as of yet, but a suitable replacement non-the-less.

As it was said, Larkin told the organization before this year that it would be his last. They ponied up and paid him - even set aside a day for his honor. It is Barry who decided he wanted another year and canceled his day.

This organization must move on. For those who feel that the Red's organization handled this the wrong way, I say that Barry handled it the wrong way. The fans will be denied their opportunity to give him his goodbye and it's the fans who should count in this.

I don't think any other team will pick up a 40 yr old shortstop whose batting average has declined, and is often injured. Yes, he did contribute for a lot of years. He also was well paid for doing his job; he will not have to worry about putting food on the table.

His batting average isn't droping. I know at one time this year, he had a .296 which was like 3rd best in the NL, and he also made about 5 errors, which was the best among all NL shortstops...

Larkin should do what most great athletes can't do, retire with diginity. Larkin got an all-star nod and played well, the perfect way to end your career. I know he isn't trying to win a World Series, cause that ain't happenin' in Cincy until we get at least 2 dominate pitchers, so just retire already.

B-Lark thanks for the memories and professionalism, you are the embodiment of the Cincinnati Reds. Maybe they could name a street after Larkin, instead that two-faced degenerate gambler that they are honoring now.

Larkin should do what most great athletes can't do, retire with diginity. Larkin got an all-star nod and played well, the perfect way to end your career. I know he isn't trying to win a World Series, cause that ain't happenin' in Cincy until we get at least 2 dominate pitchers, so just retire already.

B-Lark thanks for the memories and professionalism, you are the embodiment of the Cincinnati Reds. Maybe they could name a street after Larkin, instead that two-faced degenerate gambler that they are honoring now.

Absolutely! Smoovy, if I haven't done so yet, welcome the hell aboard. B)

Seeing Barry in another uniform would simply not be right. I hope he decides to retire and the Reds give him a proper farewall in Cincinnati. So the fans can properly send him off...with a 60 minute standing ovation!

Calling him to tell him was a slap in the face IMO. Barry deserved much better than that.