What a difference a year makes.

jjakq27

http://www.bengals.c...2f-8d274ea1b764

After watching and listening to this press conference year ago, I never dreamed that we would be a few days away from a playoff game, one year later. Honestly, it was probably one of my lowest points as a Bengals fan. Unlike many here, I was glad that Marvin was coming back but was dismayed by some of Mike's comments, the lack of tangible changes and the dismissive nature of their answers later during the press conference. The impending "holdout" by Carson and the lockout made me think 2011 might be one of the worst seasons ever around here. Thankfully, they proved me wrong.

What I am amazed about is that it was an entire rebranding of a franchise in one offseason. This team had EVERYTHING against it this season and everything fell just right. If you would have told me you thought we would make the playoffs this year I would have told you that you were being completely illogical and your black and orange colored glasses were too thick.

We lost our Franchise QB, Franchise WR, Second best WR, our OL played poorly the year before, our RB had a down year, the defensive line could not rush the passer, the LB corps featured 3 starters in new positions, the Defensive backfield lost its best player and was already weak at safety. We would be starting 2-3 rookies on offense one at the most complicated and important position of QB. That new starter was passed over by nearly every other NFL team and was the 5th QB taken in the draft. The team would be running an offense that was brand new for everyone and would have to learn it in an abbreviated timetable with a very short offseason.

The only positive that we had was a friendly schedule.

9-7 and the playoffs seemed like a pipe dream. Makes me appreciate Dalton all the more. What is he going to be able to do when we get a dangerous running game, better interior line and when he knows the offense even better?

It was remarkable. Then a couple weeks later Carson decided to retire. It weas the absolute worse offseason I could remember. Don't forget the CBA, and all of that nonsense. The whole preseason all we heared about is how the Bengals don't stand a chance and are the worst team in the NFL. We're playing in the playoffs Saturday. I'm just enjoying it. This week has been fun. We're playing with the house's money. And we're going to win.

Here's a great article by Joe Reedy that details the changes and behind-the-scenes leadership by various players during the lockout. Very refreshing.
/>http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20120106/SPT02/301060191/