B. Williams close to signing

walzav29

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to say this team should be better in '10 than they were in '09. The schedule will be stacked against them with first place teams, Henry obviously won't be coming back from his injury, the team could have just as easily lost some of those games they won last year (see not blowing anyone out), and they still have holes that need to be addressed.

Could they be better though ?? Sure, why not ?? I'm just not willing to place a bet to confirm my belief and I'm sorry , but B. Williams' signing doesn't change that for me.

We won't draft a guard if Bobbie is resigned. At least not one early enough that we couldn't just cut and put on the practice squad.

Resigning Bobbie doesn't change anything with guard,he could easilly be done before season started at his age...Still need someone ready to go replace him when the time comes.

Bobbie Williams needs to be resigned because he is still playing at a high level, is a veteran stalwart of the O-line, and is a popular leader in the locker room. The Bengals should still think about drafting a young guy to eventually replace Williams, but free agency isn't,or shouldn't, be about creating roster holes that need to be filled in the draft. And not resigning a starting guard would create a big hole in the roster.

We won't draft a guard if Bobbie is resigned. At least not one early enough that we couldn't just cut and put on the practice squad.

Resigning Bobbie doesn't change anything with guard,he could easilly be done before season started at his age...Still need someone ready to go replace him when the time comes.

Yep. There were some plays where Bobbie got beat on stunts where it looked like his speed was down a bit. Not saying this is his "wheels fall off" year, but I'd rather get his replacement a year of experience before taking over. And you can always use depth at OL anyway.

It probably doesn't mean a thing, but Paul Alexander was at Maryland's Pro Day today running Bruce Campbell through the offensive line drills.

It means they are interested. Which is interesting. Coach Hayes ran Gresham's TE position drills at the Oklahoma pro day. I would love to know who the Bengals interviewed at the combine.

It probably doesn't mean a thing, but Paul Alexander was at Maryland's Pro Day today running Bruce Campbell through the offensive line drills.

It means they are interested. Which is interesting. Coach Hayes ran Gresham's TE position drills at the Oklahoma pro day. I would love to know who the Bengals interviewed at the combine.

I think Bruce Campbell has a Michael Johnson-type fall this year in the draft.

Perhaps, but he's currently ranked high enough to belong on any Bengal related short list and for that reason alone I found it interesting to see Alexander directing the drills...just as Hayes directed the drills for Gresham...and Fitzgerald directed the LB drills for McClain at yesterdays Alabamas Pro Day.

Due diligence or something more?

If someone with starting LT potential is there in the first, do we take him? I've long thought that one solution for the line might be to draft a LT and kick Whit back inside to guard (where he was in pro bowl consideration). Of course, starting tackles, let alone Left Tackles, don't grow on trees, but it would be nice to have that kind of depth and flexibility at both Left and Rt tackle now. Any way Anthony Collins can play guard?

Perhaps, but he's currently ranked high enough to belong on any Bengal related short list and for that reason alone I found it interesting to see Alexander directing the drills...just as Hayes directed the drills for Gresham...and Fitzgerald directed the LB drills for McClain at yesterdays Alabamas Pro Day.

Due diligence or something more?

I don't know about this Bruce Campbell info.-according to Gil Brandt at NFL.com,Bruce Campbell did not work out at Maryland's pro day. Maybe I missed something. Anyway, here's another nugget:Bengals QB coach Ken Zampese was in attendance at John Skelton's pro day.

I don't know about this Bruce Campbell info.-according to Gil Brandt at NFL.com,Bruce Campbell did not work out at Maryland's pro day. Maybe I missed something.

Didn't work out OR didn't perform in drills? Because if I'm Campbell I'd let my jaw dropping combine numbers stand.

Regardless, they showed tape of Alexander directing Campbell through blocking drills wearing different clothing than they wore at the combine. And now that I think about it the background didn't look like Lucas Field....more like a practice facility.

File it under FWIW, I guess.

If someone with starting LT potential is there in the first, do we take him? I've long thought that one solution for the line might be to draft a LT and kick Whit back inside to guard (where he was in pro bowl consideration).

If the Bengals actually have interest in Campbell...(???)...I think it's far more likey they would kick the inexperienced player, not Whitworth, inside to OG.

If someone with starting LT potential is there in the first, do we take him? I've long thought that one solution for the line might be to draft a LT and kick Whit back inside to guard (where he was in pro bowl consideration).

If the Bengals actually have interest in Campbell...(???)...I think it's far more likey they would kick the inexperienced player, not Whitworth, inside to OG.

I hear you, and of course letting that player get into the system at guard would help the transition. But I have to say, for all of the acclaim Whitworth gets, and despite some confusing stats that seem to suggest otherwise, I found him to be a bit liable last season.

The other thing I wonder about was just how much was Kyle Cook responsible for those interior breakdowns, and how much B. Williams? Because I do remember a lot of whiffs over on that side of things... Not that we should be in the market for a center...

One factor you have to consider is that our position coaches do the majority of the scouting for the organization. The reason our coaches are running these drills at Pro-Day's across the country is probably because most teams send scouts, but we send position coaches and they end up being the most qualified to run these drills. Also, since our position coaches do the scouting, they have to go look at anybody that can be a possibility. Just because they are there, doesn't necessarily mean they like the prospect.

FWIW, Bobbie Williams agent now says the earlier report of a deal being close wasn't accurate, and claimed the Bengals are very reluctant to offer Williams a long-term deal due to his age.

Personally, I'm very okay with that.

Furthermore, Houston recently signed an FA offensive tackle who according to their GM will be given a chance to start at an interior position, a move that would make OG Chester Pitts expendable. Pitt's has said repeatedly he'd like to return to Houston.

well I wouldn't want to see him get long term deal the guy is 34,I'd wanna see a maxium of 2 years and if he can play until he's 40 well he's gonna have to go year by year....

My only worry is the team actually has the mind set they can't resign Willie or Roy because they signed byrant? it's like really? bobbie will make what 3million a year? Roy will probably make one million? so they really going blame byrant on not resigning these guys? even though they were talking about Extending Joseph,Hall and posabily Cedben...

PS,I Pray to god signing Byrant doesn't detour them from resigning Hall and Joseph get them now before you have to compete with other teams.

well I wouldn't want to see him get long term deal the guy is 34,I'd wanna see a maxium of 2 years and if he can play until he's 40 well he's gonna have to go year by year....

My only worry is the team actually has the mind set they can't resign Willie or Roy because they signed byrant? it's like really? bobbie will make what 3million a year? Roy will probably make one million? so they really going blame byrant on not resigning these guys? even though they were talking about Extending Joseph,Hall and posabily Cedben...

PS,I Pray to god signing Byrant doesn't detour them from resigning Hall and Joseph get them now before you have to compete with other teams.

The Bengals usually act like they have money to sign free agents, based on they money they plan on spending extending their own players. So if they say they don't have the $ to spend on Free agents then that should mean that they are basing that on spending $ on players already here.

Here's hoping anyways.

This doesn't have anything to do with Bobbie Williams, just with the side conversation we were having about position coaches at pro-days, but Jeff Fitzgerald ran the linebacker drills at Alabama's workout. Apparently he worked McClain so hard that McClain let everybody know he had Crohn's disease.

This doesn't have anything to do with Bobbie Williams, just with the side conversation we were having about position coaches at pro-days, but Jeff Fitzgerald ran the linebacker drills at Alabama's workout. Apparently he worked McClain so hard that McClain let everybody know he had Crohn's disease.

For guy who kept it under raps for 3 years Fitzgerald must have bust his ass ^_^ <3 <3 for having coaches like him and zimmer.