BIG TEN

Who's going to win the Big Ten this year?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going to win the Big Ten this year?

• Michigan
    • Ohio State
    • Wisconsin
    • Purdue
    • Iowa
    • Michigan State
    • Illinois
    • Penn State
    • other

You would only have a point if USC could not beat the bigger teams in the big games, which they clearly do with a relative amount of ease. They are also blowing out your pretenders so you cannot fault them over geography.

I do believe that twice in the last 3 years the Pac-10 had 2 representatives in BCS bowls! That would be 1/4 of the teams...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, you can't go wrong with Johnny Cochran.

Sure, in 2002, the Pac Ten had two pretty good teams (and we got to see the Bucks blow out Washington St.).

Last year, the Washington St. was still pretty good - they did beat Texas after all. But after that, the number of good teams dropped off dramatically. Last year, the Pac finished with 2 teams in the top 25, while the Big Ten had 5. In 2002, the Big Ten had 4 teams in the top 25, and the Pac Ten 2. If the Buckeyes only had to play one or two good teams a year, they would blow out their bowl opponents too.

You all can bow your heads to the Boys of Troy!!!!

Southern Cal is poised to repeat as National Champs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Leinart should follow in Carson's footsteps and take the straight-arming trophy

I can't front.....I do like the Trojans a little :rolleyes:

I'm not the biggest college football fan though.....I like the Buckeyes though...Im not sure about their chances on winning the conference

You don't have to hide it Terry, be proud... :D

Edward.... dude, how would not playing good teams through the regular season make you a better team come bowl season? That is the worst thought out argument I have ever heard. It would be the exact opposite.... playing good teams helps prepare your team for bigger battles, not make you worse.

Michael Jordan was the player he was because he only played the older, much better kids growing up.

So with that said, USC plays inferior opponents who offer no chance to improve their skills and they still batter the Big-10 and it's 5 top 25 teams. It is beginning to sound more and more like the Big-10 may be overrated a bit, with the Pac-10 not getting any credit because of the parody behind the top 2 or 3 teams....

BTW, my pick for the Big-10, and I stand alone I see in this, is Iowa.

Man you have got to admire the things Kirk Ferentz is doing there, I can see him working some mojo and sneaking up on some people in a year where there is only one truly talented, experienced QB (Orton)....

Speaking of Iowa, man would Bob Sanders have looked nice with stripes on his helmet....

Oh well, Gotta love Madieu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :player:

It would make you better, if you were playing chess.

But this is football. Playing tough teams game after game is difficult, and it's tough to win them all. Since winning all your games is the prime goal in college football, USC should thank its lucky stars it is in the football deprived Pac Ten.

I do recall that USC wasn't the only Pac-10 team to take your power conference champion behind the woodshed last year.... The Ducks dismantled the Wolverines in Eugene last year!!!! Maybe the Pac-10 is'nt so far off after all....Besides they were a middle of conference team last year. Your Champs shouldn't get blown out in their easy out of conference games should they?!?!?!?!?!? ;) "Ouch"

Watch Baseball interviews in the postseason, players will always attribute the stretch run and how difficult games helped teach them how to win in the playoffs. The best example would be last years Marlins. They had to pretend every game the last couple of weeks in the season was a sudden death playoff game just to win the wildcard and eventually propel them past the Yanks.

And don't give me any B.S. about football being a more demanding sport, because teams get a month off before the BCS bowls anyway.... So if you can't hack that as a good team, guess what..... maybe you're not good!

While I have no love for Michigan, they were hardly taken to the woodshed on the road at Oregon. Taken to the woodshed would be what the Bucks did to Washington and Washington St. over the past two years. It's hard to say how good Oregon was, since USC didn't have to play them!

If only the Big Ten had such crappy competition as the Pac Ten, OSU would have repeated as champs last year, and would have gone for the three peat this year.

OSU needed a LATE flag to beat Miami, do you think that that team last year, which didn't win the Small-10, could have beaten the Nat'l Champs? Herbstriet wouldn't buy that lame argument. Ohio St. couldn't have even beaten the most overrated team of all last year in the Sooners! Last season it was USC, LSU, Georgia and everybody else....

If crappy competition wins titles, then why hasn't a team won it all from the WAC or the MAC, or Conf. USA, or Mtn. West????? That's crappy competition. You are proving my agument for me... TCU would have surely defeated LSU by your way of thinking.... Lets post the message that Edward thinks "TCU could have defeated LSU" on the boards and see what a laugh that draws... You're just another bitter west coast sports hater that is misinformed to what really goes on over here. Just because Chris Fowler and the Boys don't do their telecasts from here doesn't mean the quality of football is lesser. Last year's NFL ROY was from the Pac-10 ( Terrell Suggs) and that was from the same class that had a Pac-10 Heisman winner who dismantled Big-10 co-champ Iowa in the Orange Bowl. Your ideas are lame and your arguments are laughable, this year will be a big year for the Pac-10 and it's stars while the Big-10 will need guys other than Braylon Edwards to rise from the depths of their rosters to make a name for themselves. If any conference truly wants to boast, it is the ACC.

Yes, my Buckeyes needed a late flag to beat the Hurricans and become the first team to go 14-0 and the last team to go undefeated. To avoid all the controversy last year, they should have just skipped giving anyone a championship, because no one could make it through the season undefeated.

The Buckeyes would have beaten the Sooners last year, hands down. OSU had relatively little trouble against Kansas State, and we all saw what K. State did to the Sooners. Regardless, I'm not saying that the Bucks were better than USC or LSU, I'm just saying that USC is a lucky team to be so good and have to play so few good teams. Since going undefeated almost guarantees you a shot at the championship, it makes sense that playing crappy teams is going to help you out.

God I can't wait for football season.

OK, first of all, you won ONE championship... you didn't win both so USC right there proves they are not the best in 2003. Seriously, you claim USC is the national champion, but that's not true; you have to share you little trophy with someone else, that's pretty weak. :lol:

OSU needed a LATE flag to beat Miami, do you think that that team last year, which didn't win the Small-10, could have beaten the Nat'l Champs? Herbstriet wouldn't buy that lame argument. Ohio St. couldn't have even beaten the most overrated team of all last year in the Sooners! Last season it was USC, LSU, Georgia and everybody else....

You go from 2002 to 2003? You're intelligent enough to realize that teams lose seniors and some juniors because of the NFL draft. Right?

BTW - USC had to share there pretty little trophy with someone else. How does it feel to be compare to LSU? I wouldn't know considering OSU won BOTH trophies in 2002.

If crappy competition wins titles, then why hasn't a team won it all from the WAC or the MAC, or Conf. USA, or Mtn. West?????

Funny how USC wins 2 games against a top-25 team and they are national champions. Seriously, I really laugh at that.. :lol::lol::lol:

You're just another bitter west coast sports hater that is misinformed to what really goes on over here.

Do you want to go through the history of college football and see how many champions came from the west coast as opposed to the midwest and southern schools? If you want to, then fine.

BTW - USC had to share there pretty little trophy with someone else.

Your ideas are lame and your arguments are laughable, this year will be a big year for the Pac-10

That's the funniest thing I've ever seen in my entire life! :lol::lol::lol:

I may be a big 10 supporter, but there's no denying the talent the Pac-10 schools are putting out. Over the last 4 years, more and more players on the line positions and skill positions are coming from out west, while skill positions and defenders are coming out of the south.

* Having USC and LSU play for the National title would have been the only way to settle that arguement over sharing the national title. - The BCS system is a joke and it's the reason why Miami got that cake-walk win over the Huskers a couple of years ago.

* Pac-10 rules and Big 10 rules are different. That's why they don't have to play every team in their conference. IF they ( NCAA ) really wanted it to be a " King of the Mountain " contest, then they should schedule the opponents for the teams instead of letting the coaches do it !

I agree with LA, the best games you'll probably see this year will come from the new powerhouse ACC division.

The way I see it, there are 3 major conferences:

1. Big 10

2. SEC

3. ACC

There are 3 lesser conferences:

1. Big 12

2. PAC 10

3. Big East

Then there's everyone else in college football.

My reasoning: If you take the top 3 schools of those conferences:

Big Ten: OSU, MeatChicken, Wisconsin

SEC: Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, and you have to now include LSU

ACC: Miami, FSU, Virginia Tech

Big 12: Oklahoma, The Chokers (Texas), Ne-ass-ska

Pac 10: Washington, WSU, USC

Big East: Syracuse (I guess), and 2 other schmucks.

The Big 10, SEC, and ACC are top dawgs. Yeah, USC is good--but there's a major dropoff after them in the PAC. Oklahoma is the only team in the Wannabe Conference that's done something in years. The Big East just lost their big players.

Sidenote: LA, Oregon is now on probation because they cheated. Who's next--the Huskies???

Kirkendall,

Doesn't everybody lose seniors and players to the draft? How is that an excuse? Maybe OSU should do a better job recruiting to keep an infusion of talen cycling through.... Miami apparently has no problem with it... I don't seem to recall in 2002 having three teams with the same record and legitimate shots at the title game, so it is irrelevant that OSU won a unanimous championship and SC shared the crown w/ LSU (A very nice football team!) The BCS system is not setup to handle last year's scenario where the coaches and writers had SC #1, but the hunk of computer chips did not. I bet I could have heard the whining from C-bus if the Buckeyes would have gotten jobbed out of the title game despite that fact. SC wins two games over top 25 teams...yep the final win was over Michigan, who earlier defeated OSU, and clearly didn't deserve to be on the field with the Trojans... so where exactly does that leave your little team??? Plus who is in position to be a contender this year? USC.... Who is in position to be a middle of the pack team? OSU

You all laugh now, but CAL could be a very good team this year, with one of the best QB-WR duos in the land.... and it is probably only a matter of time before AZ under Stoops returns to it's glory years of the early 90's...

Barb, how is the Big-12 a lesser conference? Haven't they played for 3 of the last 4 titles?

You people need to get out a little more and experience what the rest of the country has to offer... NFL scouts sure have....

This is what I miss about the old format of the Rose Bowl. Pac-10 vs. Big-10. It's always a fun game...

BTW - I found this document with Trojan history I thought you might like.. check it out (you need Adobe Reader) http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/school...tory-update.pdf

It's about 200 some pages of Trojan history so instead of trying to view the site, download it on your computer or it'll take years before it loads. Right click on the above link and go to Save Target As.

yep the final win was over Michigan, who earlier defeated OSU, and clearly didn't deserve to be on the field with the Trojans.

It was a home game for the Trojans. See what would have happened if USC had to go to Michigan on January 1.

Who is in position to be a middle of the pack team? OSU

Yeah, that's what they said in 2002.

NFL scouts sure have....

Yes, they looked, and then decided that The Ohio State University was the place to be and drafted 14 of their players.

Edward,

The only difference in 2002 is that Krenzel had QB experience....

and I saw where 14 OSU players got you in the rankings at the end of the year...

Don't feel too bad, Miami had the same problem... :rolleyes:

14 draft picks and no ring???? No repeat????

Any truly key players returning???

Clarett?

QB?

WR?

DE?

You have to admit they're a mystery at this point.

As on the other hand we have....

Leinart.... Bush.... Cody....Patterson... Possibly Mike Wiliams!!!!!!!

You are a powerhouse school, no doubt.

But do not belittle the validity of our team as a champion or a contender. Your Buckeyes would have befell the same fate as the Wolverines last January. I won't put up with any bashing of the best team in the land, SC or the Bayou Bengals...(shameless Bengals plug) I hope your team does shock the college football landscape this year and make it to the BCS final where hopefully USC plays so that we can shut this lip service and put the onus on the guys in uniform...

I certainly don't belittle the Trojans, because they have a good team. What I am belittling is their pitiful conference, which makes it much easier for them to contend. The Buckeyes would have repeated as national champs if they only had to play two good teams, and they certainly would have beaten USC if they got them at home.

Those duck uniforms may be a sign that thier alumni contribute too much money to the " Brownies " ( girl-scouts ) of america, but you're also seeing the tackle of first round running back Steven Jackson.

- When it comes to T.V. ratings, college football dominates in the mideastern and southeastern states.

-- When the Western states t.v revenues pick up for College football, then Pac-10 football will get the attention it deserves. But there's no doubting the recruting those schools are doing.