Are the Bengals the feel good story of the year?

HairOnFire

SAM FARMER ON THE NFL

Bengals come together on and off field

November 12, 2009 | 11:31 p.m.

Cincinnati quarterback Carson Palmer doesn't love Wednesdays. They're to be tolerated, not enjoyed.

That's the day the Bengals -- like players from the 31 other NFL teams -- put in some of their most rigorous work of the week. It isn't only on the field, but trudging from meeting to meeting to meeting, studying tape of the upcoming opponent, working on their own deficiencies, doing all the mundane things that wind up making a difference on Sundays.

Somehow, Palmer's Wednesdays aren't such a grind this season. The Bengals are having success, for one, and are heading into a huge game Sunday at Pittsburgh, with the winner moving into the top spot in the AFC North. Both teams are 6-2.

But it's more than that. Palmer says all the Bengals like and respect each other, they enjoy being around each other, and that hasn't always been the case.

"We've got a good locker room; there are no cliques," the former USC star said this week, taking a break from his preparation for the Steelers. "I've been on a number of teams where there are guys you can't stand seeing walking into the facility on a Wednesday. Guys that are jerks, or just don't care, or are just here for the paycheck. We don't have one guy on the team like that. That's huge. Coming into the locker room and just seeing guys here early, guys coming out drinking coffee because they just got done watching film. That hasn't happened in the past.

"It just changes your outlook on every day."

So far this season, just about everything has come together for the Bengals, who would be 7-1 except for a fluke touchdown at the end of the opener against Denver. Coming off a 4-12 season, they have had some impressive victories -- sweeping Baltimore, winning at home against Pittsburgh and at Green Bay; their no-name offensive line has exceeded most everyone's expectations; running back Cedric Benson has shown some of the promise he never realized in Chicago; and the team finally has a good defense.

The last part is a continuation of the 2008 season, when defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer helped turn around a unit that was in the bottom half of the league virtually every year. Having a stout defense -- one currently ranked No. 2 against the run -- has altered the way Palmer looks at his responsibilities.

"It's made me change the way I play, and made us change the way we play as an offense," said Palmer, who now feels comfortable that the Bengals defense isn't going to let the game get out of hand.

Like a golfer in the woods who patiently punches out to the fairway rather than forcing a hero shot through the trees, Palmer can bide his time and play a field-position game. His passing numbers might not be as gaudy, but he has the luxury of taking fewer risks.

"I used to feel we have to score on every other drive or else we're not going to win . . . " he said. "We used to put in 10, 15 shots downfield, and we'd hit three or four of them a game. Throw the ball for 300-something yards, and we'd need to score 28 points, or 30-something points.

"This season, there have been games where we haven't thrown the ball over 40 yards down the field, which is different for us. But there's no reason for us to take those long shots that put us in second and 10, and possibly in third and 10, and now you've got to punt inside your own 30."

Before the season, and even before "Hard Knocks" captured training camp on film, Palmer quietly told those close to him he had a very good feeling about this team. He's not the type to toss around that praise lightly. In fact, most years he hasn't felt that.

"There have been years when you're just like, 'Aw, [shoot],' going into training camp, or even before training camp starts," he said. "You look around, and whether it's the names on the backs of the jerseys, or the size of guys, or you don't have the last three years' first- or second-round picks on the team anymore -- and we've been through that. Guys who are suspended, broken necks, blown-out knees, whatever the situation has been.

"But just looking around at these guys, we've got good football players."

And that includes free-agent castoffs such as Benson, defensive tackle Tank Johnson, and safety Roy Williams, all of whom have made significant contributions for the Bengals.

"I don't think anything motivates you more than not having a job," Palmer said. "If you look at Tank, Roy, Cedric, they're not guys that when they were let go every team was calling. They had a tough time finding a job. Nothing scares you more than that. Nothing is a reality check more than that."

Now, the Bengals are enjoying a new reality, one that makes each Wednesday better than the last.

"They used to be a dread," Palmer said. "Yeah, it's the NFL, and I understand how people are like, 'How's playing in the NFL a dread?' But when you are getting beat, you don't have a lot of confidence, guys don't really care as much, and your name -- and the organization you play for -- is just getting thrown through the mud, it's a drag.

"This is that much more special because none of those are true anymore. And a lot of guys that are on this team went through that last year and realize how special this opportunity is, how different this is."

sam.farmer@latimes.com

nice intention with the article but it is pretty sloppy.

the team was not 4-12 last year... did they layoff the fact checkers over at the LA times?

the comparison to Carson bumping it onto the fairway from the woods instead of attempting a hero shot begas the question of how did we get in the woods? does that mean behind in a game, hurt by penalties? pretty weak analogy.

I would hardly call the O-line "no-name", Whit and Williams are known, high-quality veterans. They may be "surprisingly successful" given guys like Roland and Cook are playing at a very high-level.

I should focus on and be pleased about the repetition and consistency of stories highlighting the cohesive attitude and approach this team now exhibits. It has all the intangibles of a championship unit. the talent has been in the building for years, in one form or another, but now it seems they have the guys with the mentality to be winners.

I would hardly call the O-line "no-name", Whit and Williams are known, high-quality veterans.

Maybe not so much as we'd think outside the Cincinnati (or at least AFCN) markets. Certainly Whit won't make the casual fan's list of "Name me 15 shut-down LTs".

Clear case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. Props to Alexander.

Now, just think how good when our line has its latest project playing in games. The big man we're all waiting for. The big boy who's gonna be a road grader in the running game. The guy who needs to learn how to play OL in the NFL but has tons of potential...

...I give you Jason Shirley! ;)

I would hardly call the O-line "no-name", Whit and Williams are known, high-quality veterans.

Maybe not so much as we'd think outside the Cincinnati (or at least AFCN) markets. Certainly Whit won't make the casual fan's list of "Name me 15 shut-down LTs".

Clear case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. Props to Alexander.

Now, just think how good when our line has its latest project playing in games. The big man we're all waiting for. The big boy who's gonna be a road grader in the running game. The guy who needs to learn how to play OL in the NFL but has tons of potential...

Once Williams is done....

Shirley next to Andre? behemoth. Cook in the middle.

Shift Whit to LG and get Roland moving at LT? Collins, Livings, Mathis and Luigs in reserve? Do we carry 9 O-lineman?

Once Williams is done....

Shirley next to Andre? behemoth. Cook in the middle.

Shift Whit to LG and get Roland moving at LT? Collins, Livings, Mathis and Luigs in reserve? Do we carry 9 O-lineman?

You're assuming they can teach Shirley to block...

nice intention with the article but it is pretty sloppy.

the team was not 4-12 last year... did they layoff the fact checkers over at the LA times?

the comparison to Carson bumping it onto the fairway from the woods instead of attempting a hero shot begas the question of how did we get in the woods? does that mean behind in a game, hurt by penalties? pretty weak analogy.

I would hardly call the O-line "no-name", Whit and Williams are known, high-quality veterans. They may be "surprisingly successful" given guys like Roland and Cook are playing at a very high-level.

I should focus on and be pleased about the repetition and consistency of stories highlighting the cohesive attitude and approach this team now exhibits. It has all the intangibles of a championship unit. the talent has been in the building for years, in one form or another, but now it seems they have the guys with the mentality to be winners.

Facts have never been a concern to the LA Times or most of its readers sadly.