What's Worse in the Football Rankings ??

ArmyBengal

I think Florida may take a loss this weekend without Tebow in there and to tell you the truth, I honestly believe Texas will not only be in the NC game, I think they will win it fairly easily. That team really is stacked. Maybe they haven't played much to this point, but it's coming. I also don't believe Ohio State should be considered in that conversation, only the fact I think they are getting screwed in the polls by the people that don't want to see them in a big game this year. The Bearcats were there last year, so that shouldn't surprise anyone...

Please don't take this as anti-OSU or anything, I really have no opinion on the program apart from admiring the stability and success The Vest has brought it over the last few yrs, but could that be a hangover from possibly (again I only say possibly as an outsider looking in) being a little overrated in past yrs?

Either way, the situation highlights what a joke the current system is. Teams should be judged by what they do on the field. Nothing else and currently that is patently not what is happening. Far from it.

You could very well be right. If LSU wins that game, they should automatically leap above Florida, based on who they've played. Yeah I know they just scraped past Georgia but so what? Better than laying 60 on Strawberry Hill Tech. Should LSU pull out the win, and they really will have to play their first good game of the yr to do so, there is no way in hell they leap above Florida in the rankings. And this is utter bulls**t.

Sure, the Buckeyes may have been a bit overrated and I can admit that, but that's the system hard at work. It's another example of how the system is flawed on both sides of the argument. You can have a team that, while seemingly a bit overrated, will remain where they are simply because of where they were ranked preseason and a weak schedule throughout. On the flip side, the coaches poll comes into play and if they choose not to vote for a team, they won't move up in the polls and will get leap frogged by other teams that have done no more than them.

While I am a Buckeyes being born and raised in Ohio, I am also a fan of most teams that have solid programs and I think this current system does a HUGE injustice to all of them. It would weed out those overrated teams and give the ones who get no love a legitimate shot at the national title.

Sure, the Buckeyes may have been a bit overrated and I can admit that, but that's the system hard at work. It's another example of how the system is flawed on both sides of the argument. You can have a team that, while seemingly a bit overrated, will remain where they are simply because of where they were ranked preseason and a weak schedule throughout. On the flip side, the coaches poll comes into play and if they choose not to vote for a team, they won't move up in the polls and will get leap frogged by other teams that have done no more than them.

While I am a Buckeyes being born and raised in Ohio, I am also a fan of most teams that have solid programs and I think this current system does a HUGE injustice to all of them. It would weed out those overrated teams and give the ones who get no love a legitimate shot at the national title.

Exactly what I was driving at. The current system places team based on opinion and bias/prejudice and the on-field results are a second thought almost. Total bulls**t for all those involved, from the coaches who've toiled and worked their nuts off for yrs recruiting and teaching youngsters the game, the players who bust a gut and the fans who have a real, and, most times, very personal relationship with their Alma mater.

All that work from so many people and then to not be judged on how you play the game of football. Jesus Christ monkey balls.

Let's face it, the Big East gets no love. Sure, back when Miami and FSU were owning all before them it did but these days it's Pitt and WV that hold the standard there still in the eyes of many. Who give a flying fart which big programs USF keeps on beating or that the ickle cuddly Bearcats are one of the most consistent programs over the last few yrs. They'll get no love. If a Big East team has a shot at a national title it's when Pitt or WV are the teams winning in that conference. Everyone else can go fish.

The same is true for a few other conferences. You have the big name, you get to go to the dance, even if the invite is off the back of what the program did 15 yrs ago. Same record as another team? Never mind, you had a Heismann winner 20 ago so you get the nod.

This isn't synchronised swimming. The ranking of teams should be based on facts and not artistic impression or an old boys network.

I never realised just how much this f**ks me off until right now.

/seething