Who knows the Bengals better than us?

walzav29

No one studies the Bengals like we do, and I know we're going to the playoffs this season. Reading Hobsons stuff today about the loss to the Steelers got me thinking about 2005. Check this 2 links out from preseason. Sound familiar?

/>http://wizbangsports.com/2005/09/2005_nfl_predictions.php
/>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/preview/2005/scout.report/
/>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview05/news/story?id=2152292

None of these predictions seem fearless. I think the character of this team is better than 2005 and I believe there is more talent. It will be nice to have another run! Michael Johnson will have to be the wildcard. Getting pressure on the QB will be key, and I think he'll be the Michael Boulware/Demarcus Ware type that Lewis has been waiting for.

Whether the Bengals have more talent than in '05 remains to be seen in my opinion.

The Bengals probably have a better defense than they had in '05... but that team also had an incredible knack for getting turnovers. The '05 defense very much overachieved, so I'd say if this defense underachieves at all it could very well break even with the '05 team.

But if you want my true opinion, the biggest difference between this team and the '05 team is the O-Line. The Bengals had of the best O-Lines in the league, and most of us knew that going in. Levi, Steinbach, Braham, Williams, and Big Willie. Very, very few question marks.

This year when we don't really know what to expect from Whitworth at LT. Livings is still a big question in my mind, and we absolutely nothing to go on to guess what we'll get from Cook at C. In fact, the two smallest questions I have about this O-Line rest with a 33 year old Bobby Williams and the RT position where we're not yet sure if Smith or Collins will start the season.

If they come together and play as well as the '05 version, then I'll jump on that bandwagon too, because if there is one thing the offense has, it's weapons. But for now, I'm not ready to say the Bengals are ready for a playoff run. But I am taking the over on their 6 win Vegas odds.

But if you want my true opinion, the biggest difference between this team and the '05 team is the O-Line. The Bengals had of the best O-Lines in the league, and most of us knew that going in. Levi, Steinbach, Braham, Williams, and Big Willie. Very, very few question marks.

Couldn't agree more than what you said right there Derek.

Nice post !!!

I think the character of this team is better than 2005 and I believe there is more talent. It will be nice to have another run!

I'll argue the 2005 team was more talented. However, too many members of that team have since proven their primary goal wasn't building on that teams success, but rather....individually cashing in. And while a certain amount of that is understandable, and something common to every team, when it goes too far or runs too deep it has to be judged as yet another team flaw relating to character.

No one studies the Bengals like we do, and I know we're going to the playoffs this season.

I know you're an optimist, but that's going a little far, I think. Unless the o-line comes together and really overachieves, I see this as another 8-8 year.