Reds vs. Blue Jays

ArmyBengal

Well, we get a day off (Thank God) before starting up our series against the Blue Jays. Owings, Arroyo, and Cueto get the start for the series. The Jays are currently 38-33 and will be a challenge for the struggling Reds. It is on the road, so maybe they can get something going and avoid dropping anymore games out of first with the Cardinals and Cubs playing some good ball right now.

They really need to get their guys back in the lineup, because they are hurting !!!

That sure would be a lift to the offense of this team to have Votto back. I also saw where Alex Gonzalez will miss 4-6 weeks with bone chips in his elbow. Hairston will move to SS and Rosales will move to 3rd. Rosales in currently in a 4-46 slump and batting .202. Some other side notes:

OF Chris Dickerson(notes) has seven hits in his last nine at-bats, but manager Dusty Baker has persisted in playing OF Willy Taveras(notes), who has 11 hits in his last 103 at-bats.

C Ryan Hanigan(notes) continues to lead all NL rookies in batting average (.328) and on-base average (.415) and has a five-game hitting streak. But he is hitting only .174 with runners in scoring position.

That sure would be a lift to the offense of this team to have Votto back. I also saw where Alex Gonzalez will miss 4-6 weeks with bone chips in his elbow. Hairston will move to SS and Rosales will move to 3rd. Rosales in currently in a 4-46 slump and batting .202. Some other side notes:

OF Chris Dickerson(notes) has seven hits in his last nine at-bats, but manager Dusty Baker has persisted in playing OF Willy Taveras(notes), who has 11 hits in his last 103 at-bats.

C Ryan Hanigan(notes) continues to lead all NL rookies in batting average (.328) and on-base average (.415) and has a five-game hitting streak. But he is hitting only .174 with runners in scoring position.

What ever happened to Janish?

According the Reds official site Janish is probable for this series, but doesn't go much further than that. He hasn't played in a game since mid May, but was batting .260 at that time. I guess we will have to wait and see, but Rosales' slump isn't a thing of beauty by any means...

So the Reds drop the opener 7-5. Owings picks up the loss and Votto goes 1-4 with 2 strikeouts. I'm really happy for Votto to get back in the lineup. Taveras is still in the lineup for some reason and goes 0-4 on the night and Rosales goes 0-2. The Cardinals get right back to winning and the Reds drop another game back. Well, there's always tomorrow right ??

Oh yeah, while I love having Votto back in the lineup, I HATE that Hannigan (batting .325) isn't in the lineup.

Such is life...

I would also like to add with the Cardinals having gone 7-3 in their last 10 and being the 3rd best team in the majors (record wise), I'm wondering if anyone still thinks the Reds inconsistent play is going to hold up ?? I'm guessing no, but am looking forward to getting Volquez back in the rotation and Votto picking up where he left off. They need their starting rotation to be able to go longer than 3 innings and be able to put some runs on the board.

Oh yeah, while I love having Votto back in the lineup, I HATE that Hannigan (batting .325) isn't in the lineup.

Such is life...

I would also like to add with the Cardinals having gone 7-3 in their last 10 and being the 3rd best team in the majors (record wise), I'm wondering if anyone still thinks the Reds inconsistent play is going to hold up ?? I'm guessing no, but am looking forward to getting Volquez back in the rotation and Votto picking up where he left off. They need their starting rotation to be able to go longer than 3 innings and be able to put some runs on the board.

IF:

Votto gets back to normal

Volquez gets back to normal

EE gets back to normal

Homer finally "gets it" at the major league level

Homer takes Owings spot

Owings goes to long relief and pinch hitting

The Reds sign a big bat

Then they really have a shot.

If not...then the Reds front office has squandered the best pitching this team has seen in decades, by being cheapasses.

Such is life...

IF:

EE gets back to normal

Homer takes Owings spot

The Reds sign a big bat

If not...then the Reds front office has squandered the best pitching this team has seen in decades, by being cheapasses.

I think all they really need is a MLB starting caliber SS and a manager that can control the game. Baker does not manage his pitchers well and he manages the positon players even worse.

Such is life...

IF:

EE gets back to normal

Homer takes Owings spot

The Reds sign a big bat

I think all they really need is a MLB starting caliber SS and a manager that can control the game. Baker does not manage his pitchers well and he manages the positon players even worse.

Agreed about Baker. The funniest "praise" I ever heard about Dusty was "if you give him the horses, Dusty can win a championship." Give ANYONE the right players and they will win. Its baseball, not rocket science. But the disappointing thing about Dusty is the way he manages what he does have to work with:

Willy T over Dickerson? Really? :o

Then he puts Willy T and AGonz in the 1-2 spot. Really? :huh:

Those are the two most recent examples, but he has been pulling nonsense like this since he got here. They say football is a game of inches, but baseball even more so. That said, I think the Reds can still win despite Dusty, but the front office needs to step up and make some decisions for Dusty that Dusty can't/won't make, and also open up the purse strings at the all-star break.

We shall see.

IF:

1. Votto gets back to normal

2. Volquez gets back to normal

3. EE gets back to normal

4. Homer finally "gets it" at the major league level

5. Homer takes Owings spot

6. Owings goes to long relief and pinch hitting

7. The Reds sign a big bat

I numbered the above for easy response.

1. I have confidence that Votto will be just fine

2. Volquez is still doing his rehab and is a question mark, but agree

3. EE is still on the DL and his normal is inconsistent at best

4. My faith in anything Homer is done. He can't dominate at the minor league level and gets shelled everytime he's called up

5. See above, I've moved on from that experiment and label it a failure at this point

6. Owings has his ups and downs and I really don't know if relief would solve his problems at this point. I do love that he can hit

7. If Jocketty sees something he feels is good for the team, I have confidence he will make a move, but I'm not think he will get that

I love the Reds and think they will finish with a winning record this season, but not enough to even get a Wild Card for their efforts. They are just to inconsistent and lose to bad teams to often. The starting pitching is inconsistent as well at this point and Dusty really isn't helping matters with what appear to be poor decisions with the roster. I agree with not why Taveras is in and not Dickerson and will add Hanigan at this point as well.

So after making the comment earlier about the inconsistent starting pitching, how does Arroyo start the game tonight ??

Oh yeah, 3 homeruns and a 5-0 deficit in the BOTTOM OF THE 1ST !!! What's with him and the Blue Jays crushing him ?? It's not the first time...

So they end up losing the game 8-2 and their 4th in a row. Bruce goes 0-4 AGAIN and is now batting .213 after being moved to the 7th spot in the order. Seriously ?? C'mon Dusty do something with the roster. When Votto, Phillips, and Bruce go a combined 0-11 in a game, the outcome is not going to be good. When are they going to get rid of their hitting coach ?? I can't see any scenario where this should be an acceptable situation for the front office. They finally took Taveras out of the lineup after posting a .104 BA in his past 26 games and I think it's time to apply that line of thought to others who are struggling.

I also read where Volquez is still having inflammation in his elbow and has been pushed back 2 more weeks on the DL. That won't help !!!

Cueto takes the mound tonight so maybe they can end the losing streak that is currently the longest in the majors...

The Reds win tonight 7-5 avoiding the sweep and low and behold Votto goes 4-5 with a homerun, 3 RBI's, and scored 2 runs.

It's nice to see Votto have a game like this and get back on track, because the Reds need him. Cueto gets the win even though he gave up another 5 runs tonight. Janish goes 2-4 getting his first playing time since mid May. On the bad side, Phillips goes 0-6 leaving 6 runners on base. Oh well, I'm happy they stopped the losing streak and picked up a game in the standings with the Cardinals taking a loss.

Is the NL Central the most inconsistent division in the majors ??