At least one Johnson wants to play here.

HairOnFire

Bengals keep restricted free-agent LB Johnson after his stellar season

Associated Press

2008 Statistics

Games/Starts: 16/9

Tackles: 83

Sacks: 1.5

Interceptions: 2

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Bengals have agreed to undisclosed terms with linebacker Brandon Johnson, a restricted free agent.

Johnson, a three-year pro from Louisville, finished third on the Bengals with 83 tackles last season, receiving a chance to start in nine games after rookie linebacker Keith Rivers broke his jaw.

Johnson was a fifth-round draft pick by the Arizona Cardinals in 2006 and played on special teams for two seasons. The Bengals signed Johnson as a free agent in 2008 and, after he had his breakout season, tendered Johnson a contract in February. That gave Cincinnati the right to match any offer made to Johnson by another team.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Bengals keep restricted free-agent LB Johnson after his stellar season

Associated Press

2008 Statistics

Games/Starts: 16/9

Tackles: 83

Sacks: 1.5

Interceptions: 2

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Bengals have agreed to undisclosed terms with linebacker Brandon Johnson, a restricted free agent.

Johnson, a three-year pro from Louisville, finished third on the Bengals with 83 tackles last season, receiving a chance to start in nine games after rookie linebacker Keith Rivers broke his jaw.

Johnson was a fifth-round draft pick by the Arizona Cardinals in 2006 and played on special teams for two seasons. The Bengals signed Johnson as a free agent in 2008 and, after he had his breakout season, tendered Johnson a contract in February. That gave Cincinnati the right to match any offer made to Johnson by another team.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

He's one of my favorite Bengals right now and I like the move keeping an up-and-coming, versatile LB. I see a scenario in the near future where either Johnson or Rivers is in the middle, to get the team's two best LBs on the field together.

I like the move keeping an up-and-coming, versatile LB. I see a scenario in the near future where either Johnson or Rivers is in the middle, to get the team's two best LBs on the field together.

I agree, he should provide nice depth without having to go outside to find it. He does appear to have room to progress and seems to have enough of a nose for the ball to develop into more of a playmaker. Surely an unspectacular signing, but I like the move.