teams drafting ahead of Bengals

I was watching NFL Live and they were talking about how the Lions are back to wanting Stafford because the owner or GM Im not sure who made the comment, but said they need to find the next Bobby Lane. Also Mort said that Seattle is wanting Sanchez real bad and theyre teams who wanna jump ahead of Seattle to get Sanchez, that would be great news if the 2 QBs went ahead of the Bengals pick. Sounds like as we get closer to the draft, team's are tightening up and getting nervous.

HappyWave.gif

I think the reason they would look more at Stafford over an OT is there are still concerns about who the best OT in the draft is. Both J. Smith and Monroe have things the scouts have pointed out that could be issues for them. I think they should go ahead and take Stafford and address the OT position with their second 1st round pick. That's exactly what I think they are going to do.

I think if both QB's are drafted ahead of us, J. Smith or Monroe will certainly fall into our lap at #6.

Funny thing is, I'd be both happy and unhappy with that pick as I would really like a defensive guy at #6.

I was watching NFL Live and they were talking about how the Lions are back to wanting Stafford because the owner or GM Im not sure who made the comment, but said they need to find the next Bobby Lane. Also Mort said that Seattle is wanting Sanchez real bad and theyre teams who wanna jump ahead of Seattle to get Sanchez, that would be great news if the 2 QBs went ahead of the Bengals pick. Sounds like as we get closer to the draft, team's are tightening up and getting nervous.

HappyWave.gif

Add Denver to the list....if they unload Cutler (for a 1st and a player?), they'll be desperate tp get in front of Jacksonville for a QB or Raji...since Al Davis won't trade with the Donkey's, I see them offerring idiot Mikey the 12th & 48th pick....Perfect!

HappyWave.gif

Add Denver to the list....if they unload Cutler (for a 1st and a player?), they'll be desperate tp get in front of Jacksonville for a QB or Raji...since Al Davis won't trade with the Donkey's, I see them offerring idiot Mikey the 12th & 48th pick....Perfect!

Yep. That's what I was thinking too. Ultimately, I doubt it will happen... but it would be nice to have that extra 2nd round pick. The Bengals would be able to address almost all of their most important needs in the first day of the draft.

But I'm guessing the Bengals end up sticking with their 6th pick.

Here's a question. Let's say Eugene Monroe and Andre Smith are both available at #6. Who do you take?

Before you answer consider this. In the previously mentioned NFL Network Charlie Casserly continues to beat his drum about Andre Smith being the best OT prospect in this draft, bar none....left or right. Furthermore, he recently broke down each of the Top 3 OT prospects and concluded both Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith are essentially as good as they'll ever be right now. He stated flatly Euqene Monroe has no untapped athletic upside whatsoever, and while praising his work ethic claimed Jason Smith had maxed out his frame and would only improve by bettering his admittedly raw technique. Casserly further claimed several teams had spoken openly about their long-term concerns in regards to Monroes knee injury. As for Andre, Casserly said he was better than the other two prospects by a fairly wide margin, yet still had remarkable untapped upside in regards to conditioning and technique.

Thoughts?

I saw where the Broncos asking price for Cutler is now 2 first round picks. It should be interesting to see how this plays out...

If I'm calling the shots in Detroit that trade would have already been completed.

I guess it could be argued that Cutler has come off as a whining little b*tch, but I don't think it's entirely his fault and his new head coach lying to his face didn't help this situation. Couple that with the team being SO willing to just cut the cord and I'd be pissed off as well.

That being the case, I still think Detroit giving it's two picks would be HUGE for them. They don't have to take a chance on a rookie that could set their team back even further (is that possible?) and get a proven pro-bowl caliber QB that is still very young. If they still wanted at least one 1st rounder this year, give them next year 1st with a sweetener and it could be done easily I would think.

Here's a question. Let's say Eugene Monroe and Andre Smith are both available at #6. Who do you take?

Thoughts?

Here's where I'm sure to get an assload of flack, but it's all good.

I have long argued that A. Smith has long been considered the most dominant OT in this draft and that while his actions do cause some concern, it doesn't erase what he has done in his college career. I also am now of the mindset that even if he ends up at the RT position, I'm ok with that at the #6 pick. I was concerned after his pro day, but after putting more thought to it, I've been able to put those concerns behind me.

I'll take it a step further and say if there hasn't been a single OT taken when we pick at #6, I still think A. Smith is the most dominant player at the position AND want him. Couple him with a new Center in the 2nd and our o-line will be set.

Once again, I'm probably in the minority there and am prepared to hear whatever argument about risk anyone would care to lobby, but the fact of the matter is, all players are a risk. Sure you should try to lessen it at #6, but I will not complain one bit if he's the pick. So go ahead and spit back the name calling of A. Smith that was gotten from some other website (Andre Giant Boobs) and dislike his recent actions, but show me why he's still not the top OT based on his in game play and I'll listen more.

Bash away !!!

I'll take it a step further and say if there hasn't been a single OT taken when we pick at #6, I still think A. Smith is the most dominant player at the position AND want him.

Yup. If anything has changed over the last couple of weeks it's how much I've morphed from reluctantly wanting Andre Smith at #6 to openly hoping he's the choice.

No flak from me, either, guys. There seem to be very few wart-free prospects this year. Monroe has the aforementioned knee problem and possibly maxed frame. J Smith is on the small side. BJ Raji looks good, but doesn't look (to me) to be as dominant and athletic as, say, Ngata was a few years back.

Whereas, A Smith passes the "but can he play football?" test as well as any prospect in this draft. The character flags, while somewhat odd, just seem like red herrings stirred up by folks who hope he will drop to them. He seems to be well-liked by his college coaches and doesn't have a rap sheet. I'd be happy with him even if all of the OT prospects were still available at #6.

Well the Broncos traded Cutler to the Bears and got Kyle Orton (Mr. Stop Gap) and their 2009 and 2010 first rounders. So now the Broncos have the 12th and 18th pick in the draft. How bad does the Broncos want one of the top QB's in the draft? I am sure they can package those picks together and get them. If Sanchez falls to the 6th pick the Bengals better take that deal! That would give them the chance to get someone like Maybin/Rey Rey and the third or fourth best OT in the draft. That would be creamy. :lmao:

Thoughts?

I have long argued that A. Smith has long been considered the most dominant OT in this draft and that while his actions do cause some concern, it doesn't erase what he has done in his college career. I also am now of the mindset that even if he ends up at the RT position, I'm ok with that at the #6 pick. I was concerned after his pro day, but after putting more thought to it, I've been able to put those concerns behind me.

I'll take it a step further and say if there hasn't been a single OT taken when we pick at #6, I still think A. Smith is the most dominant player at the position AND want him. Couple him with a new Center in the 2nd and our o-line will be set.

Once again, I'm probably in the minority there and am prepared to hear whatever argument about risk anyone would care to lobby, but the fact of the matter is, all players are a risk. Sure you should try to lessen it at #6, but I will not complain one bit if he's the pick. So go ahead and spit back the name calling of A. Smith that was gotten from some other website (Andre Giant Boobs) and dislike his recent actions, but show me why he's still not the top OT based on his in game play and I'll listen more.

Bash away !!!

Good post, and I would have to think that Willie's Man Boobs trumped Andre Smith...but who knows who would fill more of the D-cup a few years from now. Needless to say, Willie turned out alright for us.

Admittedly, Raji's positive test at the Combine has left me jaded. As much as I like Maybin and Everette Brown, #6 might be a little rich for them both. The good news today is that with Cutler on his way to Chicago, maybe we can get the Broncos to jump up to #6 to get a QB, while we get their 3rd in exchange. What if we could trade down, still get Raji/Maybin/Brown or hell, even Andre Smith?

My ONLY reason for not wanting Andre is the fact that I think we have future stars at OT already on board in Whitworth and Collins. That said, I'd rather have Andre over Monroe or any WR and that seems to be what we're going to be looking at when the Bengals finally get on the clock.

My only issue with Whitworth is that he was an OT coming out of college and they decided his best fit was at Guard. With that being the case, why would they suddenly change their mind to think he is a better OT when they could have saved themselves the franchise tag of Andrews last year, moved him then, and drafted his replacement at Guard in last years draft ??

I suppose you could argue this many ways, but I still want A. Smith...

Thoughts?

I have long argued that A. Smith has long been considered the most dominant OT in this draft ....., but show me why he's still not the top OT based on his in game play and I'll listen more.

Bash away !!!

The question isn't (only) if you have faith that Andre can become motivated to be the best (based on his post season - he can't). The question should be...can the Bengals staff coach up a player to reach his huge potential. History tells us.......NOPE!

I'd rather trade down (Denver? San Fran? Philadelphia?) and get a super-motivated player that wil be solid for 10 years (Oher? Beatty?) than a potential pro bowler who misses a block or commits a hold on every other drive.

In my humble opinion, the best players to come out of the 2009 draft could be Alex Mack & Connor Barwin - because they are motivated football players

My only issue with Whitworth is that he was an OT coming out of college and they decided his best fit was at Guard. With that being the case, why would they suddenly change their mind to think he is a better OT when they could have saved themselves the franchise tag of Andrews last year, moved him then, and drafted his replacement at Guard in last years draft ??

I suppose you could argue this many ways, but I still want A. Smith...

I thought it was he was a better guard then Stacey was who were both competing as Steinbach replacement and since we had tackles at the time....

The question should be...can the Bengals staff coach up a player to reach his huge potential. History tells us.......NOPE!

Then why draft anyone? The Bengals should clearly drop out of the NFL and donate their draft picks to charity since they are so hopeless of ever bringing anyone to their potential.

Then again... didn't a former 2nd round pick OG command OT type money in free agency, and a former 4th round OT just sign a 6 year $40 million contract despite 2 torn ligaments in his knee?

For being completely hopeless at ever developing talent, other teams certainly seem to be willing to pay top dollar for what the Bengals do develop in this embarrassing time known as the Marvin era.

a former 4th round OT just sign a 6 year $40 million contract despite 2 torn ligaments in his knee?

yeah well... i think we all agree that andrews' not worth that. the eagles gave him that, yes, but he's not worth that.

on a side note, steve spagnuolo (new HC of the rams) said the main pieces for the franchise are in place, bulger at QB, jackson at RB, and alex barron at LT. everybody's got them drafting an LT with the #2 pick, but if spagnuolo thinks he can work with barron, who else could they be interested in? orakpo? curry? crabtree?