Bengals interested in Nate Washington

BlainThePain

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090302.../903020344/1027

Titans are on short list for receiver

Washington visits team today; agent calls Tennessee good fit

By Jim Wyatt • THE TENNESSEAN • March 2, 2009

Receiver Nate Washington won a Super Bowl ring with the Pittsburgh Steelers just one month ago.

Advertisement

Now he's looking for a bigger opportunity with another contender. Of all the teams interested in Washington in free agency, his agent said the Titans might be the best fit.

Washington arrived in Nashville on Sunday night on a free agency visit. He'll spend time with team officials at Baptist Sports Park today.

"Out of all the scenarios, that is one that definitely fits what he wants to do. He wants to be with a contender,'' agent Brian Overstreet said. "He'd like to be in Tennessee, I can tell you that. He could come in and add to what they have and take them over the top.''

The Titans are also interested in signing Washington, who caught 40 passes for 631 yards and three touchdowns last season for the Steelers. He was the team's No. 3 receiver behind Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes, and is considered one of the top wide outs available in free agency.

Other teams are interested, however.

Washington visited Detroit on Saturday, and Overstreet said the Ravens, Bengals and Buccaneers have also expressed interest.

So what are the chances of Washington leaving Nashville without a signed contract?

"If the numbers are right ...,'' Overstreet said.

Washington isn't the only receiver on the Titans' radar, however.

Since the start of free agency, the team has also been in contact with Saints receiver Devery Henderson, who averaged a whopping 24.8 yards per catch in 2008.

As of Sunday, however, no official visit had been set and his decision could be impacted by what happens with Washington.

Carr update: As reported Sunday, cornerback/return man Chris Carr visited the Lions, and has potential visits to three other teams including Cleveland, according to his agent.

Agent Buddy Baker said he's remained in touch with the Titans, however, and didn't rule out a return.

Carr lifted the Titans to a No. 1 finish in kickoff returns in 2008.

Still interested: The Titans remain interested in former Buccaneers defensive tackle Jovan Haye, and could bring him to town for a visit as well.

Haye, who played at Vanderbilt, started the past two seasons for the Buccaneers. He had six sacks in 2007.

Off the market: One player the Titans initially had on their radar screen — Cowboys defensive lineman Chris Canty — agreed to terms on a 6-year, $42 million deal with the Giants on Sunday.

On the morning free agency opened, Canty's agent said the Titans contacted him and his client was scheduled to visit Nashville this weekend.

The Titans later called the agent, however, and said they weren't going to dive in immediately on Canty.

The Titans likely wouldn't have paid what the Giants did anyway.

Ball makes progress: Defensive end Dave Ball continues to recover from back surgery he had Jan. 20.

Ball flew to Los Angeles for the surgery, which was performed by Dr. Robert Watkins, who is the same doctor who did quarterback Steve McNair's back surgery back in 1999.

"I have a ways to go,'' Ball said. "There's a lot of time before the season starts and hopefully I'll be better than I've ever been in the past.''

Ball also had back surgery during his rookie year, in 2004. In 2008 he had 4 1/2 sacks and 51 tackles and was one of the team's biggest surprises after being signed as a free agent.

"It is slow process,'' Ball said. "I asked (Dr. Watkins) how long before full recovery until I am ready to go and he told me four months. That puts me at about May 20th so I'll have plenty of time.''

Washington never impressed me. Seemed to drop a lot of balls against us.

Even if TJ walks and Chad is traded, I don't know why we need him. That scenario would be Slim, Simpson, and Caldwell as the starting 3. Then draft or sign a #4 who can hopefully contribute to Special Teams.

Last thing we need is an average vet WR. They are like average vet RBs, a dime a dozen. :cheers:

Washington never impressed me. Seemed to drop a lot of balls against us.

Even if TJ walks and Chad is traded, I don't know why we need him. That scenario would be Slim, Simpson, and Caldwell as the starting 3. Then draft or sign a #4 who can hopefully contribute to Special Teams.

Last thing we need is an average vet WR. They are like average vet RBs, a dime a dozen. :cheers:

Were always scheduling these players like Ward and Washington.

When the hell do we start interviewing players that will be upgrades at there positions?

10 Nate Washington – Like his teammate Bryant McFadden, Nate Washington emerged in 2008 as one of the young rising stars in the league. He’s got size, closes the cushion quickly on his open releases and showed he has the ability to adjust to the ball on vertical routes. I thought he caught on contact well and was a more than adequate runner after the catch.

This guy has Washington as a top ten free agent for this offseason.

I would be very happy with this move if the Bengals don't resign Housh. It would give them the ability to trade Chad and free up the draft so they don't have to take a day 1 WR. Even though I hated the guy while he played for the Steelers because he seemed so cocky, he makes a lot of big catches and would certainly get playing time ahead of Simpson or Caldwell. Having Washington to go along with and Henry and Simpson/Caldwell would go a long way to bridging the gap in talent left if both Chad and Housh are gone next season.

I think this points out that the coaching staff doesn't have a lot of faith in Caldwell and Simpson. If we don't resign Housh, I think there is a strong possibility we draft a receiver in the first three rounds.

We don't resign Housh, then you better pray Crabtree doesn't fall to us.

I think this points out that the coaching staff doesn't have a lot of faith in Caldwell and Simpson. If we don't resign Housh, I think there is a strong possibility we draft a receiver in the first three rounds.

Even if they have faith it doesn't hurt to have a wr with experiance...maybe they wanna trade Chad even if they don't resign tj

I think this points out that the coaching staff doesn't have a lot of faith in Caldwell and Simpson.

Well then the front office, coaching staff, and scouts fails miserably ONCE AGAIN, because there are plenty of WRs that are drafted that actually do contribute.

If we don't resign Housh, I think there is a strong possibility we draft a receiver in the first three rounds.

Why? Simpson and Caldwell part 2? If the Bengals can't judge/coach talent in 2008, I'm thinking it will be the same in 2009.

If they draft a WR or RB on day one, my foot will go into the TV.

I disagree. This team has always shown a priority in having a deep and talented WR corps. They could think that Simpson and Caldwell were the 2nd comings of Jerry Rice and Randy Moss... but if TJ walks and Chad gets traded, that leaves Urratia and Purify to take their places on the active roster. Count me out on that plan. I like a plan that brings in a vet that can step in and perform immediately when called upon, and doesn't involve drafting a day 1 WR.

I've seen Nate Washington look like a Pro Bowler before. He might be similar to a Plaxico Burress case, in which he goes to another team and becomes a standout player, after only showing flashes in Pittsburgh.

For the record, I would rather have him for the money than Coles. He's one of the Stealers major deep threats, so it's a double bonus.

At the very least, we get a final verdict in the Simpson over Sweed case, in which I was in favor of Sweed. Limas would be forced to be their 3rd receiver.

nate signed with the titans. so coles is about it.

Hopefully we don't get in another bidding war with the Vikings. I don't know why the hell the Vikings need another WR. They already have Sidney Rice and Berrian. They are a primary running team that has garbage at QB. If I was them I would give up a 1st and 2nd for Jay Cutler. If they had a QB worth a crap they could win a superbowl

Hopefully we don't get in another bidding war with the Vikings. I don't know why the hell the Vikings need another WR. They already have Sidney Rice and Berrian. They are a primary running team that has garbage at QB. If I was them I would give up a 1st and 2nd for Jay Cutler. If they had a QB worth a crap they could win a superbowl

In talking to the Vikings on their boards, most don't think much of Rice, but agree that they are in desperate need of a QB.

Washington is off the radar now, if he was ever on it...

Hey, whatever happened to Devery Henderson? I haven't heard his name come up at all and he's still pretty young.

Some receivers that I would like to see visit are:

Ronald Curry

Brandon Lloyd

Shaun McDonald

Reggie Williams

Bobby Engram

Outside of those guys, there's not a whole lot out there. Maybe the Bengals would look at the RFA WR's available, like Demetrius Williams in Baltimore. I think he's a player with a lot of upside.

Hey, whatever happened to Devery Henderson? I haven't heard his name come up at all and he's still pretty young.

Some receivers that I would like to see visit are:

Ronald Curry

Brandon Lloyd

Shaun McDonald

Reggie Williams

Bobby Engram

Outside of those guys, there's not a whole lot out there. Maybe the Bengals would look at the RFA WR's available, like Demetrius Williams in Baltimore. I think he's a player with a lot of upside.

No to all of them. Sign Coles. How can you pass on a guy with almost 700 catches.