New LB's for the taking?

Clackwoods

Which FA linebacker would you rather have?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to come to Cincy?

• Bart Scott
    • Derrick Brooks
    • Cato June
    • Channing Crowder
    • A 1st round LB
    • A 2nd round LB
    • A 3rd round LB
    • A second day pick

I would love to see Brooks in stripes... but he's turning 36. How many years can he have left? Seems like a very short term solution. I feel like Cato June is overrated and undersized... not to mention that he would probably be best suited as a WSLB... the one LB position we shouldn't have any need to add a player at. I'd be surprised if Bart Scott didn't get resigned before Friday. Crowder is an interesting thought... but I wouldn't hold my breath about the Bengals bringing in a FA LB.

It does make you wonder what the plan is though. Not resigning Mays probably means they are planning on doing something. Whether through FA, or the draft. Maybe they are still trying to trade Chad, and they'll try to get Rey with that pick. Otherwise - while I really like Rey, I'm not a huge fan of taking him at 6, since it isn't the best value at that pick.

I'll take Rey in the 1st.

I would to if we weren't sitting at number 6. Maybe number 10, but not number 6. However, I wouldn't mind seeing him considering everyone in this board is on his nuts. He must be good.

Why does it matter if its 6 or 10? If he's an impact player he's an impact player. I don't get why everyone gets so caught up in the "reach" factor of first round draft picks.

Why does it matter if its 6 or 10? If he's an impact player he's an impact player. I don't get why everyone gets so caught up in the "reach" factor of first round draft picks.

Because there will be a player available at 6 who should make a bigger impact than he would.

This team has a lot of needs, there's no reason to lock in on LB.

I would to if we weren't sitting at number 6. Maybe number 10, but not number 6. However, I wouldn't mind seeing him considering everyone in this board is on his nuts. He must be good.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's the difference!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's the difference!

Well if you want to use the money theory, then they should take a guy at a position that they don't have any money tied to. And that would be RB. Another way I could prove you wrong is by asking who was more valuable to their team last year Vernon Gholston or Joe Flacco? Gholston was the pick at 6 and Flacco was around 20 I think. My point being it's all subjective and to say it's only about the difference in money just doesn't make sense. Besides they could sign a LB to a cheaper contract than they could sign a OT at the 6th pick just by job description.

Because there will be a player available at 6 who should make a bigger impact than he would.

The key phrase there......"should make a bigger impact" Its all a crap shoot...There have historically been many top 10 "busts". Bottom line, if the dude can play....and Rey definately can....DRAFT HIM...

Mark my words, if Rey slips into the 'teens to teams like the Chargers, like many mock drafts suggest, You can bet that 2 years from now, everybody will be saying how it was a "Steal". The NFL Draft is a crap shoot, not an exact science.

The key phrase there......"should make a bigger impact" Its all a crap shoot...There have historically been many top 10 "busts". Bottom line, if the dude can play....and Rey definately can....DRAFT HIM...

Mark my words, if Rey slips into the 'teens to teams like the Chargers, like many mock drafts suggest, You can bet that 2 years from now, everybody will be saying how it was a "Steal". The NFL Draft is a crap shoot, not an exact science.

What he said!

That's the difference!

Well if you want to use the money theory, then they should take a guy at a position that they don't have any money tied to. And that would be RB. Another way I could prove you wrong is by asking who was more valuable to their team last year Vernon Gholston or Joe Flacco? Gholston was the pick at 6 and Flacco was around 20 I think. My point being it's all subjective and to say it's only about the difference in money just doesn't make sense. Besides they could sign a LB to a cheaper contract than they could sign a OT at the 6th pick just by job description.

I am not saying that it is my philosophy to take a player based off how much money they will be paid, that is just something a GM considers when making picks. That is why teams like New England keeps retooling every year because they pick in the late 20's and they can take the best player available at the position they need. A couple years ago the Cardinals reached for a RT in the draft and everyone was bagging on them for it, but I personally liked it and in hindsight I think they would do it again.

If you think MLB is our biggest need and we are unable to trade down, then hell let's take Rey at six. I would much rather take another guy that is rated higher and then trade back into round 1 from the second and pick him then. I would say if we wanted to trade up that high we would have to give up 2 2nds and a third. Would we give up this and next years for a MLB? Personally, i would if he is that good. It is a steep price to pay, but if you think he is a sure thing then why not get two superstars in one draft and give up some future picks?

You think think the 49ers would give up Patrick Willis for 2 2nd's and a 3rd? I don't think so. If I was a GM and I couldn't trade down then I would draft a player for need, but the way the draft and the league works that isn't the case and that is the reason that he won't be drafted at number 6 (Especially if he doesn't go crazy at his pro day due to his combine injury).

Personally, I would love to have Knowshown Moreno at number 6. He is the best back in the draft and he would address a huge need for us, but IMO if Crabtree falls to us we will have people lining up to jump past Oakland to take him which would allow us to trade down and get your boy Rey Rey

That's the difference!

I am not saying that it is my philosophy to take a player based off how much money they will be paid, that is just something a GM considers when making picks. That is why teams like New England keeps retooling every year because they pick in the late 20's and they can take the best player available at the position they need. A couple years ago the Cardinals reached for a RT in the draft and everyone was bagging on them for it, but I personally liked it and in hindsight I think they would do it again.

If you think MLB is our biggest need and we are unable to trade down, then hell let's take Rey at six. I would much rather take another guy that is rated higher and then trade back into round 1 from the second and pick him then. I would say if we wanted to trade up that high we would have to give up 2 2nds and a third. Would we give up this and next years for a MLB? Personally, i would if he is that good. It is a steep price to pay, but if you think he is a sure thing then why not get two superstars in one draft and give up some future picks?

You think think the 49ers would give up Patrick Willis for 2 2nd's and a 3rd? I don't think so. If I was a GM and I couldn't trade down then I would draft a player for need, but the way the draft and the league works that isn't the case and that is the reason that he won't be drafted at number 6 (Especially if he doesn't go crazy at his pro day due to his combine injury).

Personally, I would love to have Knowshown Moreno at number 6. He is the best back in the draft and he would address a huge need for us, but IMO if Crabtree falls to us we will have people lining up to jump past Oakland to take him which would allow us to trade down and get your boy Rey Rey

Good post.

I've said since the beginning of the offseason that trading down is the best option for us, especially considering the depth in this draft and the ability to address another need (with the acquired pick) early in the draft. A first, two 2nds and two 3rds sounds good. I think a guy like Rey will be available in the mid-first round and so will other solid prospects like Maybin and Oher, at positions we need guys in.

If you feel Rey is going be the next rey lewis you don't worry if you take him 10th instead of 6th....

You pull the trigger and take him.

MLB is a Impact position ? it is in on more plays then any other position ? If rey is drafted in the 1st round at any spot it's because a team feels he's a impact MLB if it is at 6# or 16#

If you think Rey is Ray Lewis, than he's the pick, no question. The problem is that the common thinking is that he's not. Another factor against not picking him at #6 is that most MLB's drafted typically don't have the ability to affect games like Ray, Urlacher or Willis. Those are once in a decade players.

The question becomes if you think Rey is Channing Crowder, Nick Barnett or Lofa Tatupu, would you take him at #6?

If you think Rey is Ray Lewis, than he's the pick, no question. The problem is that the common thinking is that he's not. Another factor against not picking him at #6 is that most MLB's drafted typically don't have the ability to affect games like Ray, Urlacher or Willis. Those are once in a decade players.

The question becomes if you think Rey is Channing Crowder, Nick Barnett or Lofa Tatupu, would you take him at #6?

I don't think I would group Channing Crowder with Tatupu. Barnett wouldn't even be grouped with him if he hadn't had such a down year in 2008.

This guy seems to agree with you, he even has him dropping into the 20's. That doesn't sound like a Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis guy to me. I say pass on him and try and pick up Clay Matthews in the second round!

http://profootball.scout.com/2/841718.html

This guy seems to agree with you, he even has him dropping into the 20's. That doesn't sound like a Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis guy to me. I say pass on him and try and pick up Clay Matthews in the second round!

http://profootball.scout.com/2/841718.html

So because some guy had him going 20 in a mock draft means he will? btw Rey Lewis went 26th overall.