Break Down of AFCN for Free Agency

ArmyBengal

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-85...-AFC-North.html

Nice breakdown of the Division. Amazing how obvious it is, in regards to the direction the Bengals need to take...

Here you go...

Make changes and get Palmer healthy. The Bengals can win four games next year without Ocho Cinco and Houshmandzadeh. It's time to build a new core while Palmer still has good years left in him.

Its a double-edged sword with a TJ signing...On one hand, Ocho Cinco WANTS TJ back, and has repeatedly said TJ will be back, HOWEVER when TJ gets the big $$$ what will Chad feel like then?

Bottom line, they are both better receivers with Carson in the lineup(obviously). If we can pick up a center(Jason Brown) and a LB(draft, or *pray* Ray Lewis) we should be alright. I really think Levi will return to near Pro Bowl form next year.

I look at Lewis the same way I viewed Favre. I think it would be a shame for him to retire anywhere else then where he got started. At this point it's just wrong. Look at Favre now. I mean I didn't think it was possible for him to look any more the part of an assclown, but there he is proving me wrong again.

Anyway, I just think Walker hits the nail on the head with being able to win 4 games with or without TJ and Chad. Seems like now is the best time to start that movement. Here's something else from the article that seems like another no brainer way to fix things here:

Cincinnati's scouting staff is one of the smallest in the NFL and it has been reflected in its draft record over the years. Head coach Marvin Lewis has never had an A-list draft in his six seasons in the Queen City.

If they blow this years draft, it will have HUGE ramifications on the following years. They simply can't afford to continue poor drafts. Some of that you can chalk up to bad luck, but they HAVE to figure this out and come away with a better than average draft and get production from the day one guys...

I look at Lewis the same way I viewed Favre. I think it would be a shame for him to retire anywhere else then where he got started. At this point it's just wrong. Look at Favre now. I mean I didn't think it was possible for him to look any more the part of an assclown, but there he is proving me wrong again.

Anyway, I just think Walker hits the nail on the head with being able to win 4 games with or without TJ and Chad. Seems like now is the best time to start that movement. Here's something else from the article that seems like another no brainer way to fix things here:

Cincinnati's scouting staff is one of the smallest in the NFL and it has been reflected in its draft record over the years. Head coach Marvin Lewis has never had an A-list draft in his six seasons in the Queen City.

If they blow this years draft, it will have HUGE ramifications on the following years. They simply can't afford to continue poor drafts. Some of that you can chalk up to bad luck, but they HAVE to figure this out and come away with a better than average draft and get production from the day one guys...

That's dead on.

The #1 reason that the Bengals have struggled is because of what they've done on Day 1 of the draft the last few seasons. It's almost impossible to build through free agency and teams that try will eventually have major salary cap problems. After signing many of the biggest names in free agency last year, The New York Jets were over the cap before Brett Favre retired, which freed up 13 million for them.

The majority of impact players in the NFL are drafted in the first 3 rounds. Since '03, we've had 20 picks in those rounds and only 3 (Carson, Hall, Rivers and Sims) are projected starters as of right now. Six of those 20 are no longer in the league. The biggest hit was the 2004 draft, where the Bengals had 8 of the first 123 picks, most in the league that draft. Of those picks, only Robert Geathers (4th round, 117th pick) and Stacy Andrews (4th round, 123 pick) have developed into consistent NFL starters.

With as many holes as the Bengals have and no sure-fire blue chipper projected to be available at #6, I propose the Bengals trade down and try to pick up another early pick or two.

That's dead on.

The #1 reason that the Bengals have struggled is because of what they've done on Day 1 of the draft the last few seasons. It's almost impossible to build through free agency and teams that try will eventually have major salary cap problems. After signing many of the biggest names in free agency last year, The New York Jets were over the cap before Brett Favre retired, which freed up 13 million for them.

The majority of impact players in the NFL are drafted in the first 3 rounds. Since '03, we've had 20 picks in those rounds and only 3 (Carson, Hall, Rivers and Sims) are projected starters as of right now. Six of those 20 are no longer in the league. The biggest hit was the 2004 draft, where the Bengals had 8 of the first 123 picks, most in the league that draft. Of those picks, only Robert Geathers (4th round, 117th pick) and Stacy Andrews (4th round, 123 pick) have developed into consistent NFL starters.

With as many holes as the Bengals have and no sure-fire blue chipper projected to be available at #6, I propose the Bengals trade down and try to pick up another early pick or two.

Trade down? Are you kidding? There will be plenty of potential studs available at #6. I say stay there and get a LT or DT that will anchor the line for years to come. Collect the compensatory picks. Trade Chad and collect a 2ed and 3rd. Walk away with 10 or 11 picks.

I think we've all beaten to death the sorry record the Bengals have in the draft room. It is the main reason they have fallen from 11-5 to 4-11-1, lousy drafts. That said,

2008 looks to be a solid draft. If lightening strikes twice they might win a few games next year.

I actually agree with both that there will be someone there at #6 that will impact this team and I also think if they trade down a handful of slots there will be someone there to impact this team. There are to many holes not to be able to find someone to come in and have a positive impact for the Bengals. So either way, I'm good with. Stand pat or move down.

If they do end up getting picks from trades and moves, you can always package some of those right back up and move up as well.

Pipe dream I know, but it remains a possibility nonetheless...

If you are looking at OT, there are no Jake Longs or Joe Thomases in this draf. Hell, there aren't even any D'Brickashaw Fergusons or Levi Browns in this draft. The closest appers to be Eugene Monroe, who will be gone before the Bengals pick. That leaves you Jason Smith (pure pass blocker, has never played with his hand on the ground), Andre Smith (just the opposite of Jason) and Michael Oher, who might be the biggest boom or bust in the entire draft.

Only the Bengals know their grades on these guys, but if the prospects' grades are close, why not trade down and pick a similar player and an another pick early in a deep draft? Teams like the Cowboys, Patrots, Chargers, Ravens and Eagles do this every year. These kinds of trades give you the ammunition to trade up in future rounds, too, which is just as important. The Bengals, as you know, have more than a few needs and could use players at every position.

a guy like eben britton might actually turn out better than some of the more highly touted OT, and he can be had mid-late first.

that being said, i'm not even sure that OT is the pick in the first anymore. we have a lot of versatility along the OL, we definitely need depth on the o-line, but probably not that high.