Will TJ be a Bengals in 2009?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Will TJ be in stripes in 2009?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Don't care

TJ is making some news lately, here he is talking to Philly sports

"During the Eagles' now infamous tie with the Bengals last season, Houshmandzadeh caught 12 balls for 149 yards and a touchdown."

"Did you watch the Eagles and the Bengals game during the season? I was just giving Andy Reid, I was giving him an interview in person," Houshmandzadeh said. "That's all I was doing. I was giving him a three-month interview ahead of time. That's all."

Full story here http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/moving_..._by_Eagles.html

My own feeling is I hope this 7th round pick who nearly got cut a few times is allowed to leave and find a playoff team for his well paid services. Hate to lose him, how many jocks have a sense of humor as good as the above quote? But I don't think it wil pan out that way, I see a tag of some sort in his future.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always liked TJ even back when most fans were mad because he wasnt cut, but he is getting old by WR standards. Losing him now might be a better option than signing him long term and watching his talents erode on the field for the next three years.

Earlier I said, it wouldn't suprise me if they tagged TJ, but the more I look at what has been said by the team, I'm not so sure I still hold the same opinion. This is based on me thinking Chad is going to be here and NOT get traded. Marvin has said he thinks Simpson is going to be a big part of what happens this upcoming season and there have been times where Caldwell has been viewed as a solid #2 in the mold of TJ. If the organization truly believes that to be the case, I could see TJ being allowed to test the market without much thought.

Couple that with paying a #2 WR in his 30's d*mn near 10 million for the year and I think there would be a wiser way to spend the money. Namely, go after the center position with Brown from the Ravens in free agency. He would take care of, what appears to be the biggest need on the o-line (and maybe the whole team), while freeing up the draft, and delivering a blow to a division rival.

Earlier I said, it wouldn't suprise me if they tagged TJ, but the more I look at what has been said by the team, I'm not so sure I still hold the same opinion. This is based on me thinking Chad is going to be here and NOT get traded. Marvin has said he thinks Simpson is going to be a big part of what happens this upcoming season and there have been times where Caldwell has been viewed as a solid #2 in the mold of TJ. If the organization truly believes that to be the case, I could see TJ being allowed to test the market without much thought.

Couple that with paying a #2 WR in his 30's d*mn near 10 million for the year and I think there would be a wiser way to spend the money. Namely, go after the center position with Brown from the Ravens in free agency. He would take care of, what appears to be the biggest need on the o-line (and maybe the whole team), while freeing up the draft, and delivering a blow to a division rival.

could not agree more.

Funny how many people want to hang on to TJ at all costs.

Not looking good! T.J. Houshmandzadeh told ESPN radio today in Philadelphia that if the Eagles "are interested in me, I'll be interested in them." If we lose him we'll have no chance in making the playoffs.

I'll respectfully disagree with the idea about making or not making the playoffs based upon TJ being with the team. As I stated earlier, if by letting TJ go we are able to shore up a bigger hole than the WR position, I think we actually increase our odds of making the playoffs. I'll be more than happy to take my chances with Chad, Simpson, Caldwell, and Henry if it means we get o-line help to protect Carson and enable a running game, while addressing some of our other free agents inhouse.

The Bengals won't transition tag TJ. All it does is give you the right to match another team's offer sheet. TJ's new team could put a poison pill in the contract to ensure the Bengals don't match, and we lose him with no compensation. Tagging him and trading him makes sense. There will be a market for TJ and we could probably get a 2nd round pick for him when the Cards are asking a first for Boldin.

Was reading 6 pages worth of responses on a eagles forum before this

Before the interview

He's old...He's only a success because of chad...Only if he came for 4years 16million dollars...

After this interview

OMG WE GOTTA SIGN HIM HE"S PERFECT FOR OUR TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Shefter said no way the bengals are franchising him we gotta get him!

Was reading 6 pages worth of responses on a eagles forum before this

Before the interview

He's old...He's only a success because of chad...Only if he came for 4years 16million dollars...

After this interview

OMG WE GOTTA SIGN HIM HE"S PERFECT FOR OUR TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Shefter said no way the bengals are franchising him we gotta get him!

Fickle NFL fans. lmao I think a lot of people talk on these forums and they are naive on a subject, however when they actually investigate what they are talking about they discover things. Maybe they were like, hey we had a rookie WR help us get to the NFC Championship, now we can bring in our own version of Wes Welker. (By this I mean a top flight possession WR who isn't afraid to go over the middle which would complement Jackson perfectly).

As a Bengals fan I'm kind of Pissed at TJ for missing the whole off season workouts (OTAs). There needs to be 100% participation. I think the Bengals org. is pissed at him too for the same reason. Maybe not pissed just not happy. He needs to get his ass in here in town and work with Palmer and Chad. It also sets a good example to the younger players. I think its a toss up if he stays or leaves. I'm also not sure that they want to pay $$$ top an older reciever.

We shall see.

I would be shocked if TJ was not tagged. For two reasons, there is virtually zero chance of them agreeing on a long term deal. 1) TJ has a VERY high opinion of himself. Other than him seeing himself as a legit deep threat, much of this is deserved. 2) Given his age and the Bengals propensity to stay away from 'dead money' it doesn't make sense for them to sign him long term. Tag him this year and if the young guns are still not ready, tag him again next year. If he is not tagged, we are basically sentenced to Princess Chad.

IMO the best scenario would be for them to make a play for Boldin. He wants out of Dodge and the prospect of having Carson slinging him the rock may be attractive to him. Of course, he would have to be paid...

In the recent article with TJ on the site, he talks about if he leaves he will be able to showcase the fact that he's more than a possession receiver and wishes he had more of an opportunity to go downfield with the Bengals. He said he understood when you have Chad and Henry that are those deep threat, but he views himself in that mold and thinks he's going to get that shot on another team. He may get more looks downfield on another team, but if another team snags him it will be for the exact reason he's had success here and that's due to his ability to go over the middle in the slot.

TJ has also missed OTA's in the past and went to the Pro-Bowl, so it's hard to say how much he lost not being here when he was able to miss it and still lead the league in receptions. I agree that it would set a good example for the youngsters on how to do business, but you can't say his production suffered due to him not being there.

I think we can also forget about bringing in someone who is going to command top dollar at the WR position. I see them sticking with Chad and if they do bring in another WR if and when TJ leaves, it will be someone along the lines of a Shuan McDonald from the Lions or Michael Clayton from the Bucs. I just don't see them dumping big dollars into the position in free agency.

TJ has also missed OTA's in the past and went to the Pro-Bowl, so it's hard to say how much he lost not being here when he was able to miss it and still lead the league in receptions. I agree that it would set a good example for the youngsters on how to do business, but you can't say his production suffered due to him not being there.

I think we can also forget about bringing in someone who is going to command top dollar at the WR position. I see them sticking with Chad and if they do bring in another WR if and when TJ leaves, it will be someone along the lines of a Shuan McDonald from the Lions or Michael Clayton from the Bucs. I just don't see them dumping big dollars into the position in free agency.

If TJ is allowed to leave, I hope some reporter can persuade him to talk about the Bengals as he runs out the door.

"I believe the Bengals can still win, but a lot of changes have to occur," Houshmandzadeh said.

As we all know here. "a lot of changes" is pretty obvious. Starting from where TJ?

I hope if he does speak about the club and divulge some information, he does it with a little bit of class. What I don't want to see is TJ just blast away at the club and the players like he has no common sense and coming off like a bitter f*ck who didn't get paid and is doing nothing but whining...

I hope if he does speak about the club and divulge some information, he does it with a little bit of class. What I don't want to see is TJ just blast away at the club and the players like he has no common sense and coming off like a bitter f*ck who didn't get paid and is doing nothing but whining...

Most definitely, that is why TJ is the guy for the story. He's articulate, speaks in complete sentences and thinks before he speaks. Rare for anyone, especially athletes. Of course he won't dish dirt, he's far to smart for that. As a Bengal he's gone from the worst of seasons to the best of seasons and worst again. He's got alot to say.

Most definitely, that is why TJ is the guy for the story. He's articulate, speaks in complete sentences and thinks before he speaks. Rare for anyone, especially athletes. Of course he won't dish dirt, he's far to smart for that. As a Bengal he's gone from the worst of seasons to the best of seasons and worst again. He's got alot to say.

I wonder if he realizes how close he was to getting cut back in '03, after being hurt all the time.

If he does, he will respect the organization for sticking with him, even though he was a 7th round pick and unproven in the NFL, at the time. You might even wonder how his career would've developed had P-Dub not been hurt and try to come back too early to help the team (one of the more overlooked facts of his career, along with Levi Jones coming back too early that same season in '04).

As I look at it from an unbiased standpoint, T.J. is a good player, but not nearly as good as he thinks he is. I think that he'll realize that once FA begins and he doesn't get Anquan Boldin money.

I wonder if he realizes how close he was to getting cut back in '03, after being hurt all the time.

Hence why he played for us 4 years 16million dollars when he could have got more else where...he gave us a discount then but he should have to again...

For 1 season he gave 4.... Thank you TJ

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com

And this new nugget about TJ. I think this is a really good read. These are the two TJ quotes I found most interesting.

“I really don’t know. I can’t speak for them but I haven’t heard from them which would lead me to assume that I’m out of there,”

“We got some wins at the end of the season but they were against some teams that were not very good. You can’t get any satisfaction out of that.

We’ve had this discussion in the past. Some of us said that the last few meaningless wins did nothing for us but knock us back in the draft and send a message to management that there is improvement and there are no needs for change. Now we hear TJ saying the same thing. “We got some wins at the end of the season but they were against some teams that were not very good. You can’t get any satisfaction out of that”.

first, i voted "not sure", yeah that's a cop out, but the more i think about it and based on the reasons i've read here i think that he won't be here, and it won't be a tragedy. Sure he's given the bengals many good years, and for the most part was classy and professional, but two things keep me from thinking he should be resigned for boldin- top five money.

1) he is a #2, possesion receiver, maybe the best in the league (and that's a big maybe), but you can't pay him that much at the expense of other more pressing needs. i.e center, nickle corner, MLB, or o-line depth. i've read where Brown the center from the ratbirds wants 6+ million a year, we could use TJ's money to sign him he is a 25 years old, 6'3 320 lbs center exactly the kind of guy that can keep the hampton's, ngata's and roger's of the world out of carson's face.

2) with carson at QB he can make average receivers good and good receivers great, not to mention the youth we have a WR, caldwell, simpson, urritia, purify, henry are all young and i have confidence that one or more of them can step up. sure there will be uncertainty if TJ leaves but the passing game could be vastly improved on better protection alone.

We've had this discussion in the past. Some of us said that the last few meaningless wins did nothing for us but knock us back in the draft and send a message to management that there is improvement and there are no needs for change. Now we hear TJ saying the same thing. "We got some wins at the end of the season but they were against some teams that were not very good. You can't get any satisfaction out of that".

Don't get me wrong, I love the direction our defense is heading, but I used this reference in regards to why our defense finished as high as they did and many scoffed at it. Nice to see the players felt the same about the level of competition they faced.

first, i voted "not sure", yeah that's a cop out, but the more i think about it and based on the reasons i've read here i think that he won't be here, and it won't be a tragedy. Sure he's given the bengals many good years, and for the most part was classy and professional, but two things keep me from thinking he should be resigned for boldin- top five money.

1) he is a #2, possesion receiver, maybe the best in the league (and that's a big maybe), but you can't pay him that much at the expense of other more pressing needs. i.e center, nickle corner, MLB, or o-line depth. i've read where Brown the center from the ratbirds wants 6+ million a year, we could use TJ's money to sign him he is a 25 years old, 6'3 320 lbs center exactly the kind of guy that can keep the hampton's, ngata's and roger's of the world out of carson's face.

2) with carson at QB he can make average receivers good and good receivers great, not to mention the youth we have a WR, caldwell, simpson, urritia, purify, henry are all young and i have confidence that one or more of them can step up. sure there will be uncertainty if TJ leaves but the passing game could be vastly improved on better protection alone.

IMO, T.J. is very overrated. He is probably one of the top 10 Bengals receivers ever and reliable on 3rd down but at 32 is he worth nearly 10 million this upcoming season? I think back to Marvin saying the reason that we don't get more long runs in the running game is because the WR's don't block, which has to include T.J. as a culprit. That said, do you give franchise player money to a player that is not a complete player at his position? Some may even argue that he is one dimensional in the Bengals offense.

Another question would be will he be a better player, physically, in 2-3 years than he was this year? If the answer is no, then on top of not franchising him, you can't offer him the kind of money that he will probably expect on the open market. He will get at least a 3 year deal in free agency and other than T.O. and maybe Derrick Mason, what other mid-30's receivers are still producing at a high level in the NFL?

Our QB, strong running game and offensive line (in past years) have as much to do with T.J.'s success not to mention with playing next to one of the best WR's in NFL history in Chad, whether we like it/him or not. The guy averages less than 10 yards per catch this past season, lowest in the league amonst WR's.. Think about guys like Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall. These WR's are game changers despite QB play, running game issues, playcalling, etc. T.J. is a good receiver, but is nowhere near the class of those players. Paying him the average of the top 5 highest paid receivers in the NFL is ridiculous to even think about, especially with his age and the current makeup of the team.