Your 2009 Reds

rwalling

Pitchers and catchers report in 16 days!

Call me a Reds Homer, but I like the way this team is setting up.

I know we don't have Jermaine Dye in left (yet), but I think this team will be better than last year and better than people think. A new catcher, SS, and CF can't help but make us better up the middle and offensively. I just wish we had a legitimate cleanup hitter. Having said that, I really think that

Taveras

Hairston/Dickerson/Gomes

Votto

BPhil

Bruce

EdE

Hernandez

Gonzo

will score runs. Feel free to call me naively optimistic. I also think EdE, Taveras, Gonzo, Gomes and Hernandez all have HUGE chips on their shoulders and something to prove this year.

I am also ecstatic that Owings, Bailey, Maloney and Thompson are fighting just to make the roster behind Harang, Arroyo, Volquez and Cueto.

The bullpen with Cordero, Rhodes, Weathers, Lincoln, Bray, Burton, Masset, Roenicke, and probably Owings will also be improved.

As you can see by the 16 pitchers I've listed, we have some really solid pitchers that will not come north.

I really think this staff will be the best we've seen in a while.

Sorry, I'm rambling (must be the #@!*%! snow).

Good post...

I'm also pretty excited heading into this season. I'm hoping that isn't blown prior to the all star break. I like the youth movement that has taken place and am looking forward to seeing some of these guys get at it this year. Last year saw a lot of playing time for the youngsters and I think it will really pay off going into this season. God know Hernandez really can't be much worse than what we've seen from the catcher position for some time now. I like the Taveras signing and goes a long way in the manner of manufacturing runs, which may be needed greatly this season with the lack of the "big bat". Dickerson is the guy I want to see come in and stay healthy. I think he can fill a big hole in regards to some power hitting. The pitchers I want to see compete the most are Cuetto and Owings. The pitcher I want to see gone the most is Bailey. I've pulled the hype plug on Bailey. Next to him is Weathers. I just can't stand that guy.

I’m very optimistic. I think they are going to be a very exciting team to watch this year. It's going to be different, that's for sure, but I don't think they will struggle to score runs like a lot of people are assuming, they will just be scoring them in a different way.

I'm really excited about the pitching, it's shaping up to be the best staff they've had in years, especially if Owings claims the 5th spot in the rotation, and pitches like he did at the start of last season in Arizona. If Owings can't cut it, or the shoulder is still bothering him, hopefully it will be Thompson...I haven't totally given up on Bailey, but I think he needs to get his head straight before he comes up again. He's only 22, so there's still plenty of time.

I like what Jocketty is doing with the team and while they have made moves, I like the fact they can actually admit that they still think they need to add to the roster to address some areas, like adding a right handed hitter to give them some power to the lineup. They just seem more up front and honest about the expectations of the team and where they are headed.

I think they will be better this year and am (at least at this point) excited to see the season start up...

Well .... it can't really get a whole lot worse than last year.

I'll feel better if they just finish over .500. Still just not sold on Baker either.

Agreed about Baker. I expect Jocketty to can him if the Reds get off to a slow start.

I also swear I will go postal if I see Jacque Jones even once with the big league club. Horrible, albeit riskless, signing. I don't mind Ward as a LH PH, but JJ is just a giant bag of suck.

This is a link to a Q&A with Reds assistant GM and there was a question about Manny about midway down where he said $25 million was to steep. There are some pretty good questions and answers in that as well. Some of it sounds like Marvin Lewis was the one giving the answer. Anyway, good read...

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=cin

Well .... it can't really get a whole lot worse than last year.

I'll feel better if they just finish over .500. Still just not sold on Baker either.

Agreed about Baker. I expect Jocketty to can him if the Reds get off to a slow start.

I also swear I will go postal if I see Jacque Jones even once with the big league club. Horrible, albeit riskless, signing. I don't mind Ward as a LH PH, but JJ is just a giant bag of suck.

Considering that JJ is one of "Dusty's boys", the chances of him making the team are pretty high.

Hey guys cept for the CUBS the central is wide open. And I see the REDS as the RAYS of 2009 young and hungry. We are in about the same boat the RAYS were in last year. Alot of young talent, good strong young pitchers and looks like a good bullpen, with alot of bench help. Now its up to DUSTY to mold this raw clay into a winning ball club. Thats my take on it this year. And im not being a HOMER either you know im a Big"""O""" FAN and I know they will finish last but I see the REDS with a chance to finish 2nd with a outside shot at maybe a wildcard spot.... B)

Hey guys cept for the CUBS the central is wide open. And I see the REDS as the RAYS of 2009 young and hungry. We are in about the same boat the RAYS were in last year. Alot of young talent, good strong young pitchers and looks like a good bullpen, with alot of bench help. Now its up to DUSTY to mold this raw clay into a winning ball club. Thats my take on it this year. And im not being a HOMER either you know im a Big"""O""" FAN and I know they will finish last but I see the REDS with a chance to finish 2nd with a outside shot at maybe a wildcard spot.... B)

I think the Cubs are due for one of those down seasons, they have the talent but every so often they have talent and still piss away the second half of a season.

The Brewers lost CC but still might be pretty good.