Bengals show heavy interest in Rey Maualuga

BlainThePain

Did anyone else notice the dip in Dhanti Jones play after Rivers went down with an injury?

In the first six weeks before the Pittsburgh game he averaged just over 10 tackles a game.

The last 10 including the Pitt game he averaged only 5 and a half tackles per game.

This tells me that with Keith in the lineup, he made a decent LBer become a pro bowler....Just imagine what he could make a freak like Rey do.

Take the LB and make our Defense feared. We can always get a tackle in round 2 and a RB in round 3.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rey is nowhere near a top 10 level talent. He is by far the most overrated prospect in this draft, IMO. He's not a sound decision maker, he has difficulty reading plays, and he's not as good as shedding blocks as people believe. I should know, as I'm a Trojans fan and watch every game that they play. Rey would only fit in a Cover-2 scheme, and even then I don't like him very much. Kiper has it correct as him being a late-1st round pick. MLB isn't your biggest need anyways, IMO.

I made this comparison once already... but this sounds exactly like what Buckeye fans were saying about A.J. Hawk. They loved him while he was at OSU, but as soon as there was talk of him being a top 5 pick, people immediately started talking about how the players around him outplayed him at times, that he couldn't swing his hips like would be required in the NFL, and that he would in all likelihood be a lesser NFL LB than his counterpart Bobby Carpenter.

How'd that play out? Maualuga will be a stud.

On a side note as to why I'd welcome him as a Bengal... Marvin White is one of my favorite guys to see get on the field. Is it because of his excellent play? Not really, because he's merely an average safety, but he brings attitude and an amazing knack for making huge bone crushing hits. Most of the best players on the Bengals defense right now are very well disciplined and smart players - but never have that intimidating presence that makes an offensive player take warning - and White brings that.

Maualuga would be another guy who would do that... and he would bring top tier play to the most important spot on the defense to boot. I would love to see a guy wearing stripes and bringing hits like