New Reds GM

AGrizzlyBaer

I heard his press conference yesterday. Sounded good to me, he has a history of good scouting and player development with Houston, and we have a history of no scouting and development.

He did sound as if he was reading from cue cards though....oh well, this offseason will be a big indicator of what kind of GM this guy will be. I hope he can turn our Reds around, they were dragged through the mud pretty badly last year.

Good articles about him in the paper and on the Reds webpage. I mainly remember him from the Astros, but they're saying he's been with the Rangers.

Astros made some good moves and got some good people while he was there. I think the Rangers screwed up badly with A Rod. Kind of hard to say how much he has to do with either situation, because he was an assistant.

I hoping, but he seems to be toeing the party line just a little too much for me. One of his first statements was that payroll doesn't mean that much when it comes to fielding a winning team. Yes and No. Steinbrenner spent a lot of money on losers for years. By the same token, if you're going to develop your own talent, then you have to be willing to spend the money to keep them. The people we've got in charge now aren't even doing that.

i wish we wouldve got omar minaya but this guy seems to be alright.

He didn't seem real interested in leaving the Expos. He said he would rather stay there than take the Cincy job, and then he turned down an offer form the Mets as well. I kinda liked him too, but it makes you wonder why he even bothered with the interviews ??

I'm HOPING our new guy is OK too, but I'm waiting to see what he does .............. first of all with the manage and then with the guys that need to be resigned.

Sadly, you're right. This isn't the most desireable job in baseball. The really bad part about that is that it should be. This is the original franchise. The first pro baseball team. The Reds and their artifacts are plastered all over Cooperstown. People should be jumping at the chance to play, coach, and or manage here.

After the way Allen and Lindner stabbed Bowden and then gutted the team though it is understandable that people would think twice about coming here. Did you ever think you'd see the day when the Reds would manage to make Mike Brown and the Bengals look like PR genuises????

well..... let's see....... how will we do on the free agent market? seems the teams that jetison the big $ players come out pretty good..... ie seattle; now the marlins again......HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL.......CINCY just may be the home of the blessed starting now, in 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cooperstown won't be worth anything until PETE ROSE is enshrined there. He had his faults, but it's for the game's greats, not the game's righteous.

Cooperstown won't be worth anything until PETE ROSE is enshrined there. He had his faults, but it's for the game's greats, not the game's righteous.

Pete Rose is all over Cooperstown. Store fronts ... posters .. you name it. He's also in the museum which also houses the hall of fame. He is not included in one section. The hall. That's got nothing to do with the type of person he is. He is not eligible for induction because he accepted a life time ban from baseball. If it was about being a great human being, Ty Cobb wouldn't have gotten as close as the NY state line. Pete can't be considered for induction unless or until he is re instated. That is a whole other issue.

Artifacts, photos, bats and accounts of Petes career are in the museum along with all the other greats of baseball. His accomplishments are recognized and his personal faults are not detailed. Not to any great extent anyway.

The museum gift shop has autographed Pete Rose anything you want to buy. So yeah, Pete's in Cooperstown. The people who live in Cooperstown love him. IF he ever gets himself straightened out, he'll take his rightful place in the hall too. Selig is hard to read, but I don't think it'll happen any time soon if at all.