Jay Bruce

ArmyBengal

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=cin

This was kind of a suprise, but then again, maybe it wasn't... I just thought this kid would light it up this spring. He's still so young. I was always against getting rid of him, but if he wasn't thought to be at least making the roster, maybe the chances of sending him to Baltimore for Bedard should have been higher than they were... I go back and forth on that one...

WHODEY !!!

It makes sense Army... You send Bruce back down to minors where he'll play everyday, opposed to sitting the bench up here in the majors. I expect the Reds to make some moves at the beginning of the season, we're too deep at outfield. If Jay Bruce wasn't sent back down to the minors, he be playing behind Freel, Paterson, Hopper meaning he'd mostly be sitting the bench.

I'd like to see the Reds move Freel. He's a great player and I think we could get a nice middle-relief or closing pitcher for him. I like Hopper and Bruce for the future. Freel just isn't solid enough to play center field IMHO. We have the backup we need in the infield, so losing Freel wouldn't hurt the defense... Or maybe we keep Freel and deal Dunn. Ownership seems to be stuck on Dunn though, so I don't think they'll move him.

ONE MORE WEEK FROM MONDAY BABY!!! OPENING DAY!

Oh I get the move, I suppose I was just looking for more out of this situation. The thought process of not wanting to move a player, then going out and getting players that play the same position, just seems odd. I'm still MORE than excited about this season and can't wait for it all to kick off !!!

WHODEY !!!

He hurt himself during spring training, didn't he? I imagine that played a part in his success (or lack thereof).

Yeah, he got hurt during ST. Nothing major, but enough to knock him off course. Bruce will be fine. They want to make sure that when he finally comes up, he comes up for good and plays everyday. With the signing of Patterson, there was no need to keep him up here and sit the bench.

But hear me on this one, he will up here to stay by May 31st.

He hurt himself during spring training, didn't he? I imagine that played a part in his success (or lack thereof).

Yeah, he got hurt during ST. Nothing major, but enough to knock him off course. Bruce will be fine. They want to make sure that when he finally comes up, he comes up for good and plays everyday. With the signing of Patterson, there was no need to keep him up here and sit the bench.

Since your the Reds expert around here scoot, what are your feelings on Homer Bailey? Is he going to Louisville?

I like you prediction on Jay Bruce, but I don't think he'll be brought up for good, the kids only 20 years old.

Since your the Reds expert around here scoot, what are your feelings on Homer Bailey? Is he going to Louisville?

I like you prediction on Jay Bruce, but I don't think he'll be brought up for good, the kids only 20 years old.

He'll probably start the season in Louisville, which is probably what is best for him. Homer's got great stuff, but he can't locate anything. He pitched pretty well in his last outing, but he had six walks in five innngs. Until he gets that under control, he will fail in the major leagues. There's always the outside chance that he can start out in the bullpen, but he's more likely to end up in AAA. I've been extremely disapointed in Bailey this spring. He's really let the other two of the three-headed pitching prospect monster really show him up (Cueto, Volquez).

Speaking of Cueto and Volquez, they are NASTY. They are locks for the rotation.

As for Bruce coming up, Krivsky and Baker's plan with him is that when he finally comes up, he's up here for good, getting everyday at bats. They don't want to damage him mentally or hurt his confidence by bouncing him back and forth or have him rotting on the bench up here.

He'll probably start the season in Louisville, which is probably what is best for him. Homer's got great stuff, but he can't locate anything. He pitched pretty well in his last outing, but he had six walks in five innngs. Until he gets that under control, he will fail in the major leagues. There's always the outside chance that he can start out in the bullpen, but he's more likely to end up in AAA. I've been extremely disapointed in Bailey this spring. He's really let the other two of the three-headed pitching prospect monster really show him up (Cueto, Volquez).

As for Bruce coming up, Krivsky and Baker's plan with him is that when he finally comes up, he's up here for good, getting everyday at bats. They don't want to damage him mentally or hurt his confidence by bouncing him back and forth or have him rotting on the bench up here.

Do you think that (Bruce coming up by end of May) means we could be dealing Adam Dunn?

How do you feel about Ryan Freel if Patterson is starting opening day at center field? Where does that put Freel? Could the Reds possibly be looking to trade him?

no i dint think he will be traded because patterson bat leadoff against rightys while freel bats against lefties unless they use hopper against leftys and trade freel but my guess is they keep him

Do you think that (Bruce coming up by end of May) means we could be dealing Adam Dunn?

How do you feel about Ryan Freel if Patterson is starting opening day at center field? Where does that put Freel? Could the Reds possibly be looking to trade him?

No, I don't think that will be the end of Dunn. I'll be shocked if Dunn isn't signed long term at the end of the season. They are in negotiations right now. There number one priority was sign Phillips long term, and now that that's done, they'll move onto Dunn.

Bruce being up here would be the end of Patterson. Patterson is just a stop-gap I believe. You won't see much of Freel this season. Rumors are that they are shopping Freel pretty actively looking for another catcher since Ross is hurt (and sucks).

With the superb pitching the Reds now have, we're in desperate need for a good catcher that can call a game. Ross isn't that guy, he's gotta go... I wouldn't mind dealing Freel for a really good catcher. We're too deep in the outfield for Freel to stay a Red. Unfortunately, unless Edwin has a terrible batting avg., there is nowhere for Freel to play. He's platoon. Sometimes your so deep, you don't need that platoon type player.

Going into opening day, who do you like at 1st base? Hatteburg or Votto?

What about Keplinger? The guy flat out can hit. Is there room for Keplinger to get some playing time?