UC vs OSU

So what about The Bellisari Era when we weren't even ranked? Was Ohio State insignificant at that point?

Let's look at the facts: UC is finally in a BCS Conference. They have always had facilities and location going for them, but they were in substandard conferences which led to a lack of highly-touted recruits and piss-poor coaches. Now that they have conference strength they were finally able to bring in good coaches, first with Dantonio and now with Kelly. They have all the pieces needed to turn themselves into a top tier program, and odds are good Kelly will stay there for a while to make a name for himself before bolting to an elite program. They had a good year last year with players left behind from a previous coaching staff, and now Kelly is filling the team with the crucial 2 and 3 star players that build a foundation. A few more years of 9-3/8-4 ball in the Big East and the higher-rated recruits will come in to put them into that higher tier of programs...not that recruit rankings really matter in the long run, though -- the coaching they receive is much more important.

Just to prove a point: player 1 was a 5 star linebacker from Ohio and was one of the most sought after players in the nation. Player 2 was a 2 star linebacker from Ohio who was considered an afterthought to an excellent recruiting class. Both went to Ohio State. One went on to be a top 5 pick in the draft while the other went pro in something other than sports. So who is who? 5 star = Mike D'Andrea / 2 star = AJ Hawk.

The point is, UC is an up and coming program with all the tangibles needed to become a legit title contender within the next 5-10 years. Discounting them the way you are is asinine and pointless, as The Ohio State University has had their fair share of down years (34 years between national titles). It serves only to make your fellow OSU fans look bad and gives rise to the whole "Their fans are cocky a**h***s" sentiment teams like Notre Dame and Duke are so famous for.

It surpirses me to say this, but well put BTG

OK, how about some facts....

UC had more than one game last year where not even 30,000 fans showed up.

UC did not beat a single ranked team last year.

UC was 1 game over .500 in their league (a weak one at that).

UC's recruiting classes range from about 50-90. You can come up with one player examples all day. Yet it all averages out, and top 25 programs do not recruit like that.

I could go on, but you better look at your own fanbase and the crap about "they are scared of us." If I had a nickel for every little team that has one decent season for the first time in 10+ years, then starts spouting off about how other teams fear them I would be a very wealthy man.

This was all about money, and UC is not some top notch programs after they beat a bunch of patsies. Tied for 3rd in the Big East is not some huge accomplishment. The only difference is UC has sucked so hard for their entire history, one decent year and fans start coming out of the woodwork.

I wouldn't say anything if random UC fans who would never venture near Nippert for 20+ years didn't suddenly jump out and state "OSU is scared of us!"

I lived through the delusional UC fans for 18 years. Your own fanbase does not have the best reputation either. I think if you look up fairweather in the dictionary there is a UC fan. Of course now that your basketball program is about the 5th or 6th best in the state (not even close to the best program in your own city), I guess you need something to think highly of.

Although I do like riling up UC fans the 1 year in a century they actually care about their team.

OK, how about some facts....

UC had more than one game last year where not even 30,000 fans showed up.

UC did not beat a single ranked team last year.

UC was 1 game over .500 in their league (a weak one at that).

UC's recruiting classes range from about 50-90. You can come up with one player examples all day. Yet it all averages out, and top 25 programs do not recruit like that.

I could go on, but you better look at your own fanbase and the crap about "they are scared of us." If I had a nickel for every little team that has one decent season for the first time in 10+ years, then starts spouting off about how other teams fear them I would be a very wealthy man.

This was all about money, and UC is not some top notch programs after they beat a bunch of patsies. Tied for 3rd in the Big East is not some huge accomplishment. The only difference is UC has sucked so hard for their entire history, one decent year and fans start coming out of the woodwork.

I wouldn't say anything if random UC fans who would never venture near Nippert for 20+ years didn't suddenly jump out and state "OSU is scared of us!"

I lived through the delusional UC fans for 18 years. Your own fanbase does not have the best reputation either. I think if you look up fairweather in the dictionary there is a UC fan. Of course now that your basketball program is about the 5th or 6th best in the state (not even close to the best program in your own city), I guess you need something to think highly of.

Although I do like riling up UC fans the 1 year in a century they actually care about their team.

I always have a problem with the "didn't beat a ranked team" that was ranked in the final rankings. Well, when UC beats them and they're ranked that's beating a ranked team.

Anyway....from my perspective, and I am not a fan of either team, OSU fans come across on average as EXTREMELY cocky. I lived in Columbus for a month and I had to stop listening to sports radio up there because it was so annoying.

Whether or not OSU fans like it, UC is an improving program that is going to continue to improve each year. 2006 and 2007 were not flukes.