UC vs OSU

Simple.

That would be a big-time game in a big-time atmosphere for the Cats. OSU doesn't want to do anything to build up UC's status... and you know that the Cats would be hungry.

They realized that they were gonna get more than they originally bargained for, and weaseled out.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/footb...80.html?sid=101

This article says the game simply moved from PBS to Columbus in exchange for OSU paying UC money to shut up and color. They're still playing the games, and UC seems like they are fine with it by Brian Kelly's comments. Again I ask, why the outrage?

I wouldn't call it outrage but the UC fans are calling it the way they see it. OSU-UC agree to game in 2012 (not sure of the other years). Game to be played at PBS. OSU now sees UC as a MUCH stronger team and potentially a top 10 team by 2012. OSU says no way we're playing you in Cincinnati. We want a pure OSU crowd for this game we thought was going to be a walk.

So the question the fans are asking is...why make the deal in the first place if it was about the money?

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/footb...80.html?sid=101

This article says the game simply moved from PBS to Columbus in exchange for OSU paying UC money to shut up and color. They're still playing the games, and UC seems like they are fine with it by Brian Kelly's comments. Again I ask, why the outrage?

I wouldn't call it outrage but the UC fans are calling it the way they see it. OSU-UC agree to game in 2012 (not sure of the other years). Game to be played at PBS. OSU now sees UC as a MUCH stronger team and potentially a top 10 team by 2012. OSU says no way we're playing you in Cincinnati. We want a pure OSU crowd for this game we thought was going to be a walk.

So the question the fans are asking is...why make the deal in the first place if it was about the money?

Because you sign the deals initially, and then realize more money can be made at a 100,000+ venue once the beancounters run through the deal. It happens all the time. Deals are initially setup, and then revisited once AD's and accounting figure out there is more money to be made else where. This is all about money plain and simple. Of course delusional UC fans can think of it as they want to make themselves feel like they are a real player.

OSU now sees UC as a MUCH stronger team and potentially a top 10 team by 2012. OSU says no way we're playing you in Cincinnati. We want a pure OSU crowd for this game we thought was going to be a walk.

First, it's very possible, I think it's likely, that Brian Kelly isn't in Cincinnati in 2012. If so, I doubt UC has the ability to remain a program with top 10 potential 4 yrs down the road w/out him.

Second, this argument makes it sound like OSU doesn't want to play in a hostile environment. Compare some of OSU's other away games: Wisconsin and Michigan are always tough places to play; USC, Miami (Fl.) and Oklahoma are all on the docket for home/home series in the near future; recently Texas and Washington; not to mention the prospect of playing in bowl games in the south, more times than not against SEC teams. Playing against a team in your own home state doesn't quite seem to match up.

Yep, Kelly's lookin' to leave as soon as possible. I guess that's why he just bought a huge summer home on the OH/IN border. I guess that's why he donates hundreds of thousands of dollars of his own money at a time to put toward facility improvements. I guess that's why he insisted on including the building of an indoor practice facility (3 years down the line) in his new contract.

The only reason this game's still happening at all is because OSU wanted to try to save face as much as possible. If they would've backed out altogether they would have been the laughingstock of the country even though "it would all be for the money".

Hahahaha... OSU fans can keep telling themselves this was all about the money.

Ha ha. UC fans think they are real football program. Don't worry. Your coach will again leave for a second rate B10 team when he realizes that UC is a third rate program at best.

I think that may have been the case but definately not anymore. Also, let me speak from experience. In 1994 I enrolled as a freshman at Virginia Tech. The school had been to a handfull of bowl games, Peach Bowl, Independence Bowl, etc. Not much of a football history and a "lower tier" football program.

Then in 1995 VT started off 0-2 with a loss to UC at home 16-0. VT then went on to win 10 games in a row including a 28-10 win over Texas in the Sugar Bowl. Frank Beamer commited to stay at VT even though he had SEVERAL offers from other schools, UGA I know was one of them. Now 12 years later they are consistently one of the top teams in college football. Never say never.

Yep, Kelly's lookin' to leave as soon as possible. I guess that's why he just bought a huge summer home on the OH/IN border. I guess that's why he donates hundreds of thousands of dollars of his own money at a time to put toward facility improvements. I guess that's why he insisted on including the building of an indoor practice facility (3 years down the line) in his new contract.

The only reason this game's still happening at all is because OSU wanted to try to save face as much as possible. If they would've backed out altogether they would have been the laughingstock of the country even though "it would all be for the money".

Seriously, you really think OSU is worried about UC when they have home and home series with USC, Miami (Fla), VaTech, California, and Oklahoma in the upcoming schedules. Hell, even at PBS there would be more OSU fans than UC fans. Yet at Ohio Stadium there is way more $ for both, $100,000's more. Delusion is a wonderful thing.

As for Kelly, yeah, no coach who ends up leaving a school does those type of things. They rent a small apartment, never fund raise (including their own money), nor insist on better facilities (sarcasm on high).

BTW...if they backed out on UC every fan in the country except UC fans wouldn't give a rats arse. When UM backed out on Hawaii no one thought anything about it (oh yeah, that June Jones guy did all that stuff Kelly is doing....where is he now?). Of course that did bite them in the butt...they ended up scheduling App St. instead.

Here's the real reason, since it hasn't been mentioned yet. OSU had this written into contract when it was first agreed on (prior to the 2002 season), back when UC was in the CUSA; they said that at any time OSU could move the site of the game.

So the Buckeyes are scheduling for the 2012 season, and they'd decided they wanted an eighth home game for that season. They offered UC two choices, either they move that game to Columbus and receive $1 million dollars (which because of the wording in the original contract UC had no way of stopping), or OSU would have to opt out. UC, wisely chose the money to go toward their football program and will drive an hour and a half up 71 to play a quality opponent on the road.

Makes all the sense in the world for OSU, who will make millions more in tickets, concessions, and parking, and UC has made a million dollars to put toward, perhaps, building that indoor practice facility that Coach Kelly has said they must build if they want to keep him around.

1. OSU only wants to play 1 significant team (because they won't find many of them in their own conference) every year. They didn't account for the fact that UC'd be significant when they would have to come down here.

2. With how long ago the deal was made, don't hand me this BS about how they need so many home games or more money. I would have to think this deal is the oldest one on the books for that season's OSU opponents. If they were stupid enough to make deals that didn't make sense, that's their own fault.

3. Never said BK wasn't living a nice life. But a coach looking to leave would not buy a huge house in an up-scale neighborhood, a huge summer house close to where summer camp is held, and donate hundreds of thousands of his own dollars to improve the facilities.

4. The June Jones reference was not a good example, slick. By all accounts Jones wanted to stay at Hawaii, but the administration (the AD) was totally incompetent. He quit, then took the next best job at SMU.

Hahahaha... OSU fans can keep telling themselves this was all about the money.

Yea, I'm sure Ohio State is really concerned with playing UC in Cincy...considering they have home and aways scheduled against USC and Miami over the next five years and just finished up a home/away with Texas. :rolleyes:

Silly UC fans. Stop crying conspiracy and wait until your team actually achieves something before talking trash.

1. OSU only wants to play 1 significant team (because they won't find many of them in their own conference) every year. They didn't account for the fact that UC'd be significant when they would have to come down here.

2. With how long ago the deal was made, don't hand me this BS about how they need so many home games or more money. I would have to think this deal is the oldest one on the books for that season's OSU opponents. If they were stupid enough to make deals that didn't make sense, that's their own fault.

3. Never said BK wasn't living a nice life. But a coach looking to leave would not buy a huge house in an up-scale neighborhood, a huge summer house close to where summer camp is held, and donate hundreds of thousands of his own dollars to improve the facilities.

4. The June Jones reference was not a good example, slick. By all accounts Jones wanted to stay at Hawaii, but the administration (the AD) was totally incompetent. He quit, then took the next best job at SMU.

1. UC is not significant. Deal with it.

2. UC agreed and did it for more money too.

3. Yes they would. Happens all the time.

4. He left Hawaii for one reason...recruiting. Just like UC trying to battle out with OSU, Michigan, ND in the area. Don't worry, Kelly will get tired of it too.

They're not near as concerned about playing the Cats as they are about the possibility of losing to the Cats. Big difference. A loss to an up-and-coming, in-state team would be very costly for their perception and recruiting.

Yeah, sure, a loss to UC would destroy all those Heisman's, NC's, B10 titles, etc. Of course that would mean UC is a garbage program and a loss to them could actually hurt a premier programs rep.

Pick your poison.

1. UC is not significant. Deal with it.

2. UC agreed and did it for more money too.

3. Yes they would. Happens all the time.

4. He left Hawaii for one reason...recruiting. Just like UC trying to battle out with OSU, Michigan, ND in the area. Don't worry, Kelly will get tired of it too.

How is the #17 ranked team in the nation insignificant? I'm neither a UC fan nor an OSU fan but if there are OSU fans that think UC is insignificant they are blind.

Why so cocky? OSU is great program, nobody denies that. UC is a vastly improved program that has the potential of a top 10 finish this year. Why is that so hard to believe? Some of you guys sound like Steeler fans with the "holier than thou" talk.

i am glad uc has started to compete on the national stage good for them. but to suggest osu is dodging anyone is just plain ignorant. ncaa d1 football is all about money nothing else, why do you think ND won't join the bigten, they don't want to share anything. a loss to uc, i highly doubt would hurt the buckeyes at all. losing 2 bcs championships the past two season you would think hurts osu. then all the buckeyes do is go out and get a handful of the top recruits in the nation, so much for hurting them. then how far did wis get set back from their losses to uc? i would have to say it did not hurt them at all did it. i mean look at mich they lose to app st and was still in the mix for pryor plus have a top recruiting class. my point is that 1 loss to uc will not hurt the buckeyes as much as some would like to think. it would give uc some bragging rights for a little bit and help them more than it would hurt osu really.

I don't think UC is insignificant at all. Some may, because they think our tradition means we can s**t on whomever we want. Hey guys...we're not Notre Dame, ok? We don't need to stand on our soapboxes and preach about our amazing history while bashing any team who is on their way up. We're better than that, damn it.

That said, you UC fans need to accept that Ohio State is not scared to play you. If that were the case, they wouldn't be playing teams like USC, Texas, Miami, etc. It's strictly an economic thing.

There is no doubt in my mind that scott paints his face on gameday.

no, but there is no doubt in my mind in a couple years you will crawl back into your hole, denying you ever cared about college football.

I do like it when fans of a team that cannot even guarantee they will have over 25,000 fans a game suddenly thinks that OSU is trying to duck them. Of course when a team beats zero ranked teams in a year (final rankings) and goes to a .com bowl, why wouldn't they deserve to talk smack about a team that is a top 5 all time program?

Of course with those 50-90 ranked recruiting classes UC has rolling in, no doubt they will be a power... with scared little OSU wondering how they can compete with multiple top 10 recruiting classes and no losses to an Ohio team in almost 90 years.

I guess I am guilty of hatred towards ignorance, and an inability to deal with it in a civilized manner.

UC had a nice year. Congrats! They may even beat OSU in the future. Yet to think OSU is somehow ducking UC is plain stupidity or ignorance.

I don't think UC is insignificant at all. Some may, because they think our tradition means we can s**t on whomever we want. Hey guys...we're not Notre Dame, ok? We don't need to stand on our soapboxes and preach about our amazing history while bashing any team who is on their way up. We're better than that, damn it.

That said, you UC fans need to accept that Ohio State is not scared to play you. If that were the case, they wouldn't be playing teams like USC, Texas, Miami, etc. It's strictly an economic thing.

I consider a significant program a top 25 program. UC is not a top 25 program. One ranked year does not mean the program as a whole is in the top 25.

So what about The Bellisari Era when we weren't even ranked? Was Ohio State insignificant at that point?

Let's look at the facts: UC is finally in a BCS Conference. They have always had facilities and location going for them, but they were in substandard conferences which led to a lack of highly-touted recruits and piss-poor coaches. Now that they have conference strength they were finally able to bring in good coaches, first with Dantonio and now with Kelly. They have all the pieces needed to turn themselves into a top tier program, and odds are good Kelly will stay there for a while to make a name for himself before bolting to an elite program. They had a good year last year with players left behind from a previous coaching staff, and now Kelly is filling the team with the crucial 2 and 3 star players that build a foundation. A few more years of 9-3/8-4 ball in the Big East and the higher-rated recruits will come in to put them into that higher tier of programs...not that recruit rankings really matter in the long run, though -- the coaching they receive is much more important.

Just to prove a point: player 1 was a 5 star linebacker from Ohio and was one of the most sought after players in the nation. Player 2 was a 2 star linebacker from Ohio who was considered an afterthought to an excellent recruiting class. Both went to Ohio State. One went on to be a top 5 pick in the draft while the other went pro in something other than sports. So who is who? 5 star = Mike D'Andrea / 2 star = AJ Hawk.

The point is, UC is an up and coming program with all the tangibles needed to become a legit title contender within the next 5-10 years. Discounting them the way you are is asinine and pointless, as The Ohio State University has had their fair share of down years (34 years between national titles). It serves only to make your fellow OSU fans look bad and gives rise to the whole "Their fans are cocky a**h***s" sentiment teams like Notre Dame and Duke are so famous for.