2008 Defense

DDOGG

I'm starting to think our defense is going to be a lot like Arizona's defense last year (and not because we just singed one of their guys). They finished 17th.

Something that ranks in the mid/late teens , and isn't complete stud like but gets the job done because they had a lot of gifted athletes. Overall, the Cardinals defense wasn't awesome. But they had a lot of stud athletes that made plays. Guys like Karlos Dansby, Adrian Wilson, Calvin Pace, Roderick Hood, Antrelle Rolle, Darnell Dockett, and Darryl Blackstock. The one thing that stuck out to me last year was how many stud athletes they had.

I see us kind of being the same way with guys like Geathers, Odom, Brooks, Jeanty, Odell, Hall, Joseph, Ndukwe, Pollack, and umm Darryl Blackstock.

Not necessarily pro-bowl football players (though quite a few of them could be), but definately a collection of players who can make plays because they are very gifted athletically.

Throw in a defensive coaching staff that is now (with the new additions) probably better than Arizona's, and I think we could very well finish somewhere in the mid-teens defensively.

I honestly think the defense will be better, but I don't know if We'll have a " Teen - ranked " or better defense with out a major influx of talent on the defensive line.

1. Odom should be a better pass rusher, but both him and Geathers will suffer without a push from up the middle !!

Which means either we trade up to land Ellis or Dorsey, or pray that the second tier guys push Thornton off the roster ASAP.

2. O'Dell is the Best linebacker on this team. PERIOD, but the problem is, he's a drunk and a weed head. I know, I work with his family down here in Georgia. - On the Field he's lights out, but off the field it's , " Who left the lights on " !!

- He'll make the defense better as long as he can come back and play up to his rookie season level. He's been suspended before, ( though, not for this length of time ) but the one thing this kid can do, is play linebacker !! He moves Ahmad Brooks back to a more natural Weak side linebacker spot.

3. The Secondary took a hit with the loss of Madieu, but two things the Bengals NEED to do in this draft, is find The starter at Free Safety for the Future, because I don't think Marvin White is it, and use a high first day pick on another cornerback. Deltha O'Neals' health is always an issue, and behind him is David Jones, Blue Adams, and Herana Daze Jones, and all three of them are really small safeties with speed issues that are only suited to play special teams.

- Passing on a guy like Phillips, Barrett , or Morgan could come back to haunt Cincy' because I don't believe White is ready to make plays behind him.

4. We already know that Bryan Robinson won't be back, but Thornton, Myers,Fanene, and Rucker are roster eaters! Myers showed last year, that in situational roles, he's effective, but any long time on the field, he'll get pushed around and wear down quickly.

- A stud Defensive Tackle won't be enough to fix this defense. A Stud Defensive End to come off the Bench and provide Cincy with 3 legitimate pass rushing threats on any given down are a must to help a very young secondary and a weak pass coverage player in Dexter Jackson.

5. OLB. Landon was effective, and he was sturdy, but Zimmer has to get more out of the Linebackers than what anyone else has been able to do. Brooks is an elite athlete for his size, and speed. If he can stay on the field this year, moving him to Weak Side or Strong side and letting him pass rush and attack is a must ! Rashaad Jeanty is a backup, special teamer plain and simple. Too many times last year I watched Jeanty run into Bengal defenders and take them out of tackles because he takes such bad angles to plays. If we draft 2 or more linebackers this year, Jeanty probably doesn't make it out of training camp.

^- The real key to this is the offense. Bratkowski, seems to be that Czar from Russia that wouldn't die, so since we're stuck with him, we have to stop making our running game so easily recognized !

- When We're in third and short, we bunch up !! How about we spread the defense out and at least make them respect the pass ??? Bratkowski is only getting by, because of who our quarterback is, and who our receivers are. The offense could be better if Bratkowski utilized the tight ends, and we put really quick, athletic guys like DeDe Dorsey on the field more.

Well the way this draft is looking so far in most of the mocks, it looks like we are in a good position to be able to trade down. With Ellis,Dorsey,and Gholston expected to be gone by #9 someone will want to trade up to land Ryan Clady, and we should drop back in the 1st and acquire an extra 3rd for it. Guys I like in the 1st round are:

1)Kenny Phillips-(FS-Miami)-he is the best S in the draft and fills a need and allows our secondary to be one of the youngest in the league, and eventually a very, very good one!

2)Keith Rivers-(OLB-USC)-very althetic LB that would probably be WSB in the pros, good sideline to sideline guy and provides solid play in the front 7.

3)Calais Campbell-(DE-Miami)-good pass rusher off the edge, would allow us to rotate alot on the DL to keep our guys fresher, provides solid depth at a highly regarded position.

4)Dan Connor-(LB-PSU)-solid LB who makes plays, would be a Zach Thomas type guy in the middle for us and would allow us to play the hybrid 3-4 defense on passing downs, solid guy that would solidify the LB corps!

Just some guys that could be had in round 1 (10-20picks) that would help out our Defense, and we bolster other areas of need with the newly acquired 3rd rounder by trading down. Thoughts?

Well the way this draft is looking so far in most of the mocks, it looks like we are in a good position to be able to trade down. With Ellis,Dorsey,and Gholston expected to be gone by #9 someone will want to trade up to land Ryan Clady, and we should drop back in the 1st and acquire an extra 3rd for it. Guys I like in the 1st round are:

1)Kenny Phillips-(FS-Miami)-he is the best S in the draft and fills a need and allows our secondary to be one of the youngest in the league, and eventually a very, very good one!

2)Keith Rivers-(OLB-USC)-very althetic LB that would probably be WSB in the pros, good sideline to sideline guy and provides solid play in the front 7.

3)Calais Campbell-(DE-Miami)-good pass rusher off the edge, would allow us to rotate alot on the DL to keep our guys fresher, provides solid depth at a highly regarded position.

4)Dan Connor-(LB-PSU)-solid LB who makes plays, would be a Zach Thomas type guy in the middle for us and would allow us to play the hybrid 3-4 defense on passing downs, solid guy that would solidify the LB corps!

Just some guys that could be had in round 1 (10-20picks) that would help out our Defense, and we bolster other areas of need with the newly acquired 3rd rounder by trading down. Thoughts?

Clady will be gone by 9. I don't really like any of the guys you mentioned for our 1st round pick.

Agreed. Easily 2 OT's gone in the first 6 picks. The only players I could see that would be available at #9 that teams would want to trade up for would be one of the top 3 RB's or if Matt Ryan somehow slipped down to us, not likely though. I like the idea of having a great S, but we already have 7 of them on the roster. I can only honestly see the Bengals taking one of 2 positions at #9, RB or DT.

Clady will be gone by 9. I don't really like any of the guys you mentioned for our 1st round pick.

Agreed. Easily 2 OT's gone in the first 6 picks. The only players I could see that would be available at #9 that teams would want to trade up for would be one of the top 3 RB's or if Matt Ryan somehow slipped down to us, not likely though. I like the idea of having a great S, but we already have 7 of them on the roster. I can only honestly see the Bengals taking one of 2 positions at #9, RB or DT.

Ah crap.

Several sources have claimed Kansas City has made it known how badly they want to trade down, and Mike Mayoch is claiming that they've targeted Jeff Otah. If the Chiefs are so motivated that they'd consider taking less than full value for the pick the Bengals may or may not have enough ammunition to make that type of deal.

And in a scenario I've always liked better than the above, a San Diego beat writer claims Charger GM AJ Smith has openly shopped the 27th pick, and in exchange is looking to add..."2nd & 3rd round picks"...with the only restriction being the 2nd round pick has to be mid-round or above. Again, if true the Bengals are perfectly positioned.