Time for a change?

chandon

IMHO, I just see nothing changing for this team in the forseeable future without changes in the coaching staff. Sunday's game showed that this team has lost its heart and has no will to win. Even Carson, whom everyone agrees is a very talented QB with a bright future is slipping into mediocraty. I think one part of the team has recently showed a little bit of spark - the defense - because of all the flack it was getting it decided to show up for a few games, but even that is sliding back down. A lack of desire to win and a depression is like a malaise...a fungus which seeps through the team and stops it performing. Nobody can be bothered any more. It will not matter one jot if we get good draft picks or good FA's. If this disease is not halted and reversed we will be in the same position next year.

Again, IMHO, it is the coaching staff who is responsible and that starts and stops with Head Coach. He has the ultimate responsibility to jerk the team around and envigorate it and energize it and motivate the players to want to win. He has to discipline the players, and do whatever it takes to get them to perform. We can continue to make every excuse in the book for bad performance - from injury to scouting - but a good manager gets the job done...period. I was happy to let Marvin continue for another year, but now I'm just not so sure. If the players won't even play for pride, then we are in serious do-do. If his assistant coaches are letting him down, then HE has to take the necessary steps to replace them. He has to do whatever it takes to get the best out of the players. I feel we actually have a reasonably good bunch of guys...the vast majority of which are under performing. They are not doing what they can do. That is down to poor coaching, and that is ML's responsibility.

So what do you think ppl? Is it time for a clean sweep of the coaching staff? Defense not been playing well, regardless of injuries, until lately? Offense not being playing well, and too much been put on the passing play? Lack of discipline in the team? Does it all add up?

Or is this just pie-in-the-sky because MB won't ever do jack?

IMHO, I just see nothing changing for this team in the forseeable future without changes in the coaching staff. Sunday's game showed that this team has lost its heart and has no will to win. Even Carson, whom everyone agrees is a very talented QB with a bright future is slipping into mediocraty.

I'm slow to blame Carson because nearly all his problems are with Chad. There's clearly a communication problem there that's due to Chad not being where Carson expects him, or the pass not being where Chad expects it. I think Carson's having trouble because he doesn't trust Chad to make the correct read, and he's overthinking it trying to figure out what Chad's going to do.

Note that Carson's not having any problems with TJ at all.

IMHO, I just see nothing changing for this team in the forseeable future without changes in the coaching staff. Sunday's game showed that this team has lost its heart and has no will to win. Even Carson, whom everyone agrees is a very talented QB with a bright future is slipping into mediocraty. I think one part of the team has recently showed a little bit of spark - the defense - because of all the flack it was getting it decided to show up for a few games, but even that is sliding back down. A lack of desire to win and a depression is like a malaise...a fungus which seeps through the team and stops it performing. Nobody can be bothered any more. It will not matter one jot if we get good draft picks or good FA's. If this disease is not halted and reversed we will be in the same position next year.

Again, IMHO, it is the coaching staff who is responsible and that starts and stops with Head Coach. He has the ultimate responsibility to jerk the team around and envigorate it and energize it and motivate the players to want to win. He has to discipline the players, and do whatever it takes to get them to perform. We can continue to make every excuse in the book for bad performance - from injury to scouting - but a good manager gets the job done...period. I was happy to let Marvin continue for another year, but now I'm just not so sure. If the players won't even play for pride, then we are in serious do-do. If his assistant coaches are letting him down, then HE has to take the necessary steps to replace them. He has to do whatever it takes to get the best out of the players. I feel we actually have a reasonably good bunch of guys...the vast majority of which are under performing. They are not doing what they can do. That is down to poor coaching, and that is ML's responsibility.

So what do you think ppl? Is it time for a clean sweep of the coaching staff? Defense not been playing well, regardless of injuries, until lately? Offense not being playing well, and too much been put on the passing play? Lack of discipline in the team? Does it all add up?

Listen to the announcers Saturday night? How can our Offense be that predictable to everyone in the world, yet we don't change anything. In the past Marvin has said, we will stay the course, and we are not executing. Common sense tells me that if the other team knows what you are going to do, well you simply decrease your teams odds of executing properly. Marvin needs to be able to adapt and change when necessary. He has shown he can not or will not do that resulting in one of the most talented teams in the NFL,in my opinion, going 6-10 this year.

Marvin Lewis is a great Defensive Coordinator and a sub par Head coach. He lets the inmates run the assylum and you can't let that happen in the NFL. No excuse losing to the 49ers Saturday. HIS team quit on him. Enough said.

it is all about having a strong leader, this team has not one from owner to coach. there for until they can get someone that demands excellence, they will never be a top team. you can have all the talent in the world , but if you don't have a leader you will get what you have seen here the past 18 years.

So what do you think ppl? Is it time for a clean sweep of the coaching staff?

Until the 49'er game my support of Marvin Lewis was pretty unshakable....because I had seen no hard evidence that the team had actually quit on him. But it's obvious now that the passing attack, once considered the strength of the team, is simply going through the motions. or if you prefer, going through the emotions. (It fits.)

Sadly, this brings me back to one of the biggest complaints I voiced during the Chad Wars. That being, the lack of leadership demonstrated by the best and highest paid members of the team. In short, poor performances by those players is never welcome, but can be tolerated if those players are giving everything they have. Instead, we get pouting....and empty remarks about who deserves to go to the Pro-Bowl. (Opie.)

Defense not been playing well, regardless of injuries, until lately? Offense not being playing well, and too much been put on the passing play?

Bres simply has to go....if for no other reason than timing. The defensive talent is nearly as sparse as it's ever been, and likely will suffer several defections that would have been unthinkable only two years ago. Thus, there's simply no justification for rebuilding a new defense under a coordinator whose had as little success as Bres. In short, you don't rebuild under a coordinator who at best would be a lame duck. Instead, find a new defensive coordinator and allow him to retool with the players he feels best fit his schemes.

As for Brat, his past success makes the decision to cut him loose far more difficult. That said, the failure of this offense now stretches beyong a single season, and this franchise probably can't go forward as it has in the past, overstocking offensive talent at every skill position while ignoring defensive needs. Worse, despite the assets expended the current team lacks an offensive identity, and may only develope one if all of the contents, including the coordinator, are gathered into a massive hefty bag and vigorously shaken.

Most topics on this board have nothing to do with Mike Brown.

This isn't one of them.

As the defacto GM of this franchise Brown will be judged harshly if Bres is allowed to stay....and rightly so. In short, times up.

As for Lewis and Brat, it can argued that both coaches now deserve to sit upon a bubble. Further arguments can be made for bursting those bubbles, but IMHO they're not nearly as convincing or clear as both coaches have had enough past success to cast doubt on the idea of casting out. In fact, I still lean towards keeping Marvin. (Just not as much as I did prior to the 49'er game.)