Titan fan here

Calico87

Congratulations on the good start. Even though you guys have 4 losses, you're not playing like it. I've watching parts of some Bengals games on my DirecTV and I am impressed. Marvin Lewis must really be helping a lot. And don't get discouraged by those four losses. At one point last year, we too were 2-4 and ended up 11-5. I think you have a good enough team to do the same. I have a few questions.

First, how is Thornton doing? We really miss him here. He was a great player, and I was just wondering how he was fitting into the Bengals system.

Secondly, I wanted to know how KWash is doing. Being a Titans fan, of course I'm also a Volunteer fan. I know that I wanted the Titans to draft him but we got Tyrone Calico instead, and I have to say I'm no longer disappointed.

And finally, why did you guys cut LaMont Thompson?? I heard from a few people and also Jeff Fisher that he didn't hit well last year, but that changed when he came to us. If anyone watched the "Jacked Up!!" segment on Monday Night Countdown, you might understand what I'm talking about. He's doing really well on special teams, and we're trying to get him to learn the system to be our #3 safety to spell Tank and Lance Shulters, and also be our dime back. I just can't understand why the Bengals would cut a guy with that kind of athletic ability in only his second year. The Titans actually wanted him before Tank Williams in last years draft, and now we have both of them, haha. Anyways, I think he was a real steal with that 4.3 speed and that kind of hard hitting. Thank you for him, haha.

Good luck the rest of the season.

I will let some others here comment on Thompson, as far as Washington goes, I am very excited about him. I think he has the ability to be a very special WR in this league.

He had two very big 3rd down cathes against Buffalo and I think he is progressing nicely. He has been handed the 3rd wideout job since Houshmanzadeh has been injured all freaking year and he has been good for a rook.

Now, if only we could strecth the field with him a little like the Titans do with Calico...... B)

I think in regards to LaMont Thompson, he just wasn't interested in playing in Cincinnati anymore and Lewis saw this and cut him. Also, I'm think Leslie Fraziers style of defense just wasn't a fit for Thompson. I did see the Monday Night Countdown and he did have a monster hit. I hope he does well for the Titans.

Bengal nation is kind of on a high right now, and Cleveland and Baltimore lose next week, we'll be tied for first. Going against an overrated Seattle team, I think this is highly achievable.

Thompson just didn't seem to fit in with coach Lewis's plans. He does seem to have a lot of ability, but that doesn't count for a lot if you're not willing to put it to use. It'll be good for your team if he does work out, but Lewis seems to be pretty astute on who to keep and who to cut.

Spikes had a great 1st game for Buffalo but has been kind of so so since. I can't think of anyone else who has made a big impact for their new team .... or in a few cases even been able to stick.

Thompson just didn't seem to fit in with coach Lewis's plans. He does seem to have a lot of ability, but that doesn't count for a lot if you're not willing to put it to use. It'll be good for your team if he does work out, but Lewis seems to be pretty astute on who to keep and who to cut.

Spikes had a great 1st game for Buffalo but has been kind of so so since. I can't think of anyone else who has made a big impact for their new team .... or in a few cases even been able to stick.

True, even Neal has not been quite what SD expected I think.

Lewis seems to be pretty astute on who to keep and who to cut.

I think that is without a doubt one of the biggest assets of Coach Lewis. All of the talent picked up this offseason have played and played well. T. James has made a huge impact on D, so has Clemons on the line. And everyone else has been contributing as well. I would say that the team isn't missing anyone Lewis let go since he's been here, including Takeo.....

How about John Thornton? How has he done?

And redsfan2, I think Thompson will make an impact with the Titans. The main thing the Titans do is get people with tons of athletic ability, and bring them along slowly. When the Titans drafted LB Keith Bulluck, he was nothing more that Boss Bailey (Detroit), just an athlete. The Titans let him sit for two seasons and now he's playing like a pro bowler. Same thing with McNair, Kearse, Dyson, etc. Although some came on faster than others. Jeff Fisher has a way of turning these "athletes" into great players, and I can see Thompson being one of those.

With our cap troubles, I think there is a chance that we cut Lance Schulters (big contract) and let Thompson take over. (either next year or year after)

Thornton has been solid. The Bengals haven't been great against the run this year, but I would say that more from outside running than inside running. Plus the Bengals use a rotation for the D-line so that keeps fresh players in and keeps any one DT from having monster stats.

I will agree with you that Thompson has the potential to succeed, but it's more up to him. He never seem to try very hard when he was here.

Cheers

Follow - up on Thornton etc.

Thornton has been solid as kevnz said. I know that coach Lewis is high on him ... refers to him as his quiet assassin. Sam Adams was here around the same time as Thornton, and said publicly that he'd like to play for Marvin Lewis. Sam isn't here and Thornton is, so that should say a lot. Checked their respctive numbers off the team pages, and Thronton comes out with more tackles and assists plus a fumble recovery. Adams has an interception, but I think even he knows that was a fluke.

Coaching could make all the difference when it comes to Thompson. It's no secret that for a long time we drafted players with problems and coached them poorly. Some have gone to other teams and done well. Others ...... notably Wilkinson and Akili Smith have gone to other teams and done nothing.

The other thing that needs to be considered is that coach Lewis wants / needs people that can and will produce now. He is trying to turn a perennial loser into a winning team. Coach Fisher is fortunate enough to not be in that position and can afford the luxury of letting a guy sit for a year or 2.

Obviously if our teams play each other I'll be rooting for the Bengals. By the same token, after the last 12 years I don't delight in any teams misfortune, and certainly don't want to see any of the players do poorly.

I don't think 1 good hit makes him a good football player.

Tennessee vs Carolina denfense stats

DEFENSE

T-A SCK INT FF

A. Dyson 8-0 0.0 0 0

K. Bulluck 6-0 0.0 0 0

P. Sirmon 6-1 0.0 0 0

T. Beckham 4-0 0.0 0 0

R. Boiman 4-0 0.0 0 0

R. Calmus 4-0 0.0 0 0

A. Woolfolk 4-1 0.0 0 0

A. Haynesworth 3-0 0.0 0 0

S. McGarrahan 3-0 0.0 0 0

D. Hicks 2-0 0.0 0 0

J. Kearse 2-1 1.0 0 1

J. Thomas 2-0 2.0 0 1

K. Carter 1-0 1.0 0 0

D. Hill 1-0 0.0 0 0

B. Kassell 1-1 0.0 0 0

L. Schulters 1-0 0.0 0 0

L. Thompson 1-0 0.0 0 0

Season Totals through 7 games

Total Tackles Assists Sacks Fum Rec

Lamont Thompson 7 5.0 2 0 0

Wilkinson and Akili Smith have gone to other teams and done nothing.

Akili is a free agent isn't he? He went to Green Bay earlier, but didnt make the cut, Craig Nall (5th round pick) who had played great in NFL Europe, beat Akili out for the 3rd QB job.

You're right. Akili isn't working for anybody right now. For that matter, I don't know if Wilkinsons is either. I couldn't find him on a roster, so he may be 2nd or 3rd string for somebody.

It would be interesting to see where the "cuts" landed ( or didn't ) and how they're doing. If anyone knows.