One More for the Archives

HairOnFire

An excerpt from "Early market watch" By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports

October 25, 2007

Johnson is still a major weapon for the Bengals, but if head coach Marvin Lewis is back next season, Johnson could be shipped out. Lewis has clearly taken some pokes at Johnson in recent weeks, including some comments about NFL players (like Johnson) not having the coolest demeanors due to their junior college backgrounds. And while Lewis has refuted any notion that Johnson is headed for the trade block, there are clearly some significant issues that have to be worked out for a return in 2008.

So what is likely to push Johnson to the block? First, T.J. Houshmandzadeh has risen to the point where he can be legitimately considered a No. 1 receiver. Secondly, Johnson has still got high trade value. He turns 30 this offseason, still giving him 2-3 years of peak level play. And his contract averages a palatable $4.6 million in base salary per season for the last four years of his deal. And with Chris Chambers drawing a second-round pick from the San Diego Chargers, the Bengals could draw the same, if not better, compensation for Johnson.

I'd say trade compensation would be MUCH better than a 2nd round pick. Not only has Chad out produced Chambers, but teams often trade contracts as much as they trade players. And on that point Chad's contract is not only modest for an elite player, but Chambers contract had just two years remaining.

Just saying...

That writer is out of his mind to suggest that Chad is only worth a second round pick. Sure the guy misses key plays in games sometimes because he just can't seem to stay hydrated...but he has lead the league in receiving yards the last 3 years, which I believe is a first, and oh by the way is second this year to Mr. Rejuvenated Randy Moss by only 52 yards despite playing one less game. (Pats haven't had their bye week yet) I do wonder though how much splitting up TJ and Chad would affect the two. They have been together quite a long time including college and the pros and are quite close. The other thing I see is that a lot of problems have arisen since Hue Jackson departed to Atlanta...maybe this was one of the biggest off-season mistakes of this team because of the relationship Hue had with TJ and Chad. It's pretty sad actually to look back and think that letting position coach go might have created such a disruption like this one potentially has. Now you have to feel sorry for Hue in Atlanta getting stuck with scrub QBs, no offensive line, and having to teach WRs how to catch the ball. It just might had been best for the Bengals and himself to wait another year before parting ways...

Ok, I'm inclined to repsond to this one just for arguments sake. While I still stand firm on Chad NOT being traded, "IF" we were to do this and NOT get a 1st rounder for him, would be the most rediculous steal for whatever team making the trade. Chad = multiple picks to include a 1st. We aren't talking about a Chambers here, we are talking about an annual Pro Bowler who changes what defenses do against him and makes the other WR's better just by being on the field. THE ONLY WAY I would consider this, is if we got an impact defensive player and maybe another pick in the draft. This would have to result in our defense getting better.

THe down side to this ?? Our WR corp just became a liability. IF Henry could keep his head out of his 5th point of contact, it could be considered as well, but there are just to many uncertainties to make me feel comfortable with this...

WHODEY !!!

Chad isn't going anywhere as long as Marvin is the head coach. Chad doesn't have much of a family and he looks at Marvin as a father figure. If we start winning a couple games, all of this will blow over and we'll go back to worrying about what the teams real problem is, defense. It's very easy to place the blame on our most flamboyant player but he isn't the problem. He is not the one the tackles the ball carriers, he is the one that is on pace to have the best statistical year in his career in which he has led the AFC in receiving for 3 or 4 straight years. T.J. is made by Chad going deep and opening up the field in the middle, Henry can do this as well but I'd rather rely on Chad than Cheech. All this talk is the media analyzing way too much, they have way to much time on there hands.

I'd say trade compensation would be MUCH better than a 2nd round pick. Not only has Chad out produced Chambers, but teams often trade contracts as much as they trade players. And on that point Chad's contract is not only modest for an elite player, but Chambers contract had just two years remaining.

Just saying...

Only problem with that is that the Chargers overpaid for Chambers. Yeah, CJ should be worth way more than that guy, but its probably not happening.

If they really want to trade CJ, then Marvin has really slipped by showing such public frustration with him. CJ's rep has never been lower.

What did the Raiders get for Moss? A fourth?

Like it or not, you never get market value for players perceived to have character issues. Moss just happens to be in the perfect situation. What is there for him to be upset about? He gets his share of balls (and why not, he catches everything), he is on a winning team with a strong veteran leadership.

Moss wasn't bringing what Chad would be bringing at the time he was traded and many people were wondering what "Moss" they were getting. He just happens to be flourishing in the Patriots offense, but that was not a forgone conclusion when he was brought into the club. Chad on the otherhand, has led either his conference or the league for 4 straight seasons and goes to the Pro Bowl every year. I'm just saying you can't compare what Moss was when he was traded to what Chad is now. Not to mention the baggage issues were just as much with Moss, if not more, than they are with Chad (which I think are overstated)...

Once again, just my viewpoint...

WHODEY !!!

I'm just saying you can't compare what Moss was when he was traded to what Chad is now. Not to mention the baggage issues were just as much with Moss, if not more, than they are with Chad (which I think are overstated)...

A better comparison might be the Moss-to-Oakland trade: Moss was traded to the Oakland Raiders in spring of 2005 for linebacker Napoleon Harris and the Raiders' 1st round (7th overall, which Minnesota parlayed into WR Troy Williamson) and their 7th round picks in the NFL draft. Also, Moss's contract at the time was much bigger than Johnson's is -- he made $7.25 Mil in 2005. Also, Moss's character questions at the time were worse than Johnson's are right now -- for Moss, they weren't 'questions' at all.

A better comparison might be the Moss-to-Oakland trade: Moss was traded to the Oakland Raiders in spring of 2005 for linebacker Napoleon Harris and the Raiders' 1st round (7th overall, which Minnesota parlayed into WR Troy Williamson) and their 7th round picks in the NFL draft. Also, Moss's contract at the time was much bigger than Johnson's is -- he made $7.25 Mil in 2005. Also, Moss's character questions at the time were worse than Johnson's are right now -- for Moss, they weren't 'questions' at all.

Beat me to it. There's also the matter of Moss having a no-trade clause in his contracts that allowed him to limit the number of teams bidding for his services. Not only did that provision allow him to essentially hand pick the Raiders, years later Moss was able to shut out all other options except New England...giving the Raiders few options.

In my opinion a trade for straight draft picks should net the Bengals multiple picks, one being a 1st rounder, another being a 2nd or 3rd. Wouldn't be suprised to get an additional sweetner as well, a conditional pick determined by how well Chad produces for his new team. That said, I think it's far more likely a trade would be structured in the same way as the Viking/Raider deal above. One high pick, one veteran player, one mid to low round pick.

And if that is the case Hair in regards to what the Bengals might get in compensation for the Chad trade, it could be considered. I think the question to be asked is, how much faith do you put in Henry to not f*ck up again ?? If he were on the straight and narrow, it makes this trade talk all the more plausible. If not, I think the offense takes a fairly LARGE hit with the absence of Chad...

WHODEY !!!