Sony drops the price of the PS3 $100!!!

agreen_112

so whats the word on the street about the hardware lockup? how does the Xbox break down?

I don't know man, there's something terribly wrong with that system though. Out of the 4 people I know that own an xbox 360, 1 is down (red ring of death) and 2 have been down and fixed (the repair took about 4 months.), only 1 is running strong... I have had no problems with my PS3 nor have any of the 3 that I know about. This machine is a BEAST!!! I'll probably wait for MS to fix the glitch, then lower the price, and then I may buy a 360.

I still don't think it is worth it. They still don't have any games out there. Sony is just trying to salvage the project before they can the whole thing...IMHO. Their sales are getting destroyed by 360 and Wii. And in my opinion, this goes back to the game selection.

Should I pay $500 for a system that has like 8 games or one that is $300 that has like 60 titles. Hmmm....

I still don't think it is worth it. They still don't have any games out there. Sony is just trying to salvage the project before they can the whole thing...IMHO. Their sales are getting destroyed by 360 and Wii. And in my opinion, this goes back to the game selection.

Should I pay $500 for a system that has like 8 games or one that is $300 that has like 60 titles. Hmmm....

In all seriousness, without a biased opinion, Sony's PS3 has no chance in hell of being "salvaged". That's really CRAAAAAZY talk... All this means is that more of the PS2 users will be able to make the leap. Sony listed the 2 SKU's with different pricing to get a feel for the market, it's basic marketing dude. s**t, the PS2 was listed originally at $399 if I'm not mistaking... MS is not going to win the war over Sony, It's just not going to happen.

In all seriousness, without a biased opinion, Sony's PS3 has no chance in hell of being "salvaged". That's really CRAAAAAZY talk... All this means is that more of the PS2 users will be able to make the leap. Sony listed the 2 SKU's with different pricing to get a feel for the market, it's basic marketing dude. s**t, the PS2 was listed originally at $399 if I'm not mistaking... MS is not going to win the war over Sony, It's just not going to happen.

Yeah, PS2 was originally $399 and I was one of the first to have one. They didn't have to drop the price on that this soon. I think they dropped the prices about a year or so after it was out. PS3 has been out for what...6 months and already $100 cheaper.

I don't really see Sony scrapping the PS3 (that was a little harsh, I admit) but they are definitely loosing ground on Wii and 360 I think the $100 price cut is just a way to play catch up. With the PS2 it was more of a cruise control factor. Sales were hot and selling way better than the competitor's systems, so cut the price and sit back and watch the sales continue to grow. Plus, they had the games out there to add to the pursuasion factor not to mention a little cheaper retail price. They needed to make this move to try to regain some of the lost market share. This is what I meant when I said salvage earlier, I meant it as in recover, fix a problem or be pro-active and "can" I meant draw back on the aggressive marketing/research on it and move on to a PS4 or an upgraded cheaper PS3.

I think there is something going on at Sony that has them sweating, hence the price drop already. And the fact that according to the article they didn't foresee a price drop, then following week they announce the drop. And they sound pretty confident in this article, almost too confident as if they were talking to the investors saying that there is no real problem don't panic on our sales figures....sales should double and at a quicker pace now that we dropped the price. Something just doesn't sound right, nor good.

I wasn't aware they had two SKU'd products, unless you mean two different versions. If they base "marketing research" on this 2 SKU's, I would think that majority of the people would choose the cheaper version just because it is already over the $500 mark and a lot of the market demographic is high school to thirty-somethings. Now what section of that demographic are more likely to make an impulse purchase like that (High School and College) if they can afford it. Which group can, for the most part, afford it, but usually have less time to play it. (Now granted, I am using my experience with this.) I just turned 29, now married, two kids, full time job, house chores and upkeep). Granted, I still love to play but I only get that chance probably for an hour every couple months. I could afford it but can't really see myself spending that much on something I would only use once a month.

Does this make any more sense? I think I just rushed before to say something without thinking about it and it came out like I thought Sony was just going to black ball the PS3. At the same time, this may still sound like a little bit of confusion.

At the same time, the glitch in the 360 may allow the PS3 regain some ground on the lost market share. Who knows...I know I am just going to sit and wait for another couple price drops before I do anything.

Yeah, PS2 was originally $399 and I was one of the first to have one. They didn't have to drop the price on that this soon. I think they dropped the prices about a year or so after it was out. PS3 has been out for what...6 months and already $100 cheaper.

I don't really see Sony scrapping the PS3 (that was a little harsh, I admit) but they are definitely loosing ground on Wii and 360 I think the $100 price cut is just a way to play catch up. With the PS2 it was more of a cruise control factor. Sales were hot and selling way better than the competitor's systems, so cut the price and sit back and watch the sales continue to grow. Plus, they had the games out there to add to the pursuasion factor not to mention a little cheaper retail price. They needed to make this move to try to regain some of the lost market share. This is what I meant when I said salvage earlier, I meant it as in recover, fix a problem or be pro-active and "can" I meant draw back on the aggressive marketing/research on it and move on to a PS4 or an upgraded cheaper PS3.

I think there is something going on at Sony that has them sweating, hence the price drop already. And the fact that according to the article they didn't foresee a price drop, then following week they announce the drop. And they sound pretty confident in this article, almost too confident as if they were talking to the investors saying that there is no real problem don't panic on our sales figures....sales should double and at a quicker pace now that we dropped the price. Something just doesn't sound right, nor good.

I wasn't aware they had two SKU'd products, unless you mean two different versions. If they base "marketing research" on this 2 SKU's, I would think that majority of the people would choose the cheaper version just because it is already over the $500 mark and a lot of the market demographic is high school to thirty-somethings. Now what section of that demographic are more likely to make an impulse purchase like that (High School and College) if they can afford it. Which group can, for the most part, afford it, but usually have less time to play it. (Now granted, I am using my experience with this.) I just turned 29, now married, two kids, full time job, house chores and upkeep). Granted, I still love to play but I only get that chance probably for an hour every couple months. I could afford it but can't really see myself spending that much on something I would only use once a month.

Does this make any more sense? I think I just rushed before to say something without thinking about it and it came out like I thought Sony was just going to black ball the PS3. At the same time, this may still sound like a little bit of confusion.

At the same time, the glitch in the 360 may allow the PS3 regain some ground on the lost market share. Who knows...I know I am just going to sit and wait for another couple price drops before I do anything.

How many movies do you watch a month? Do you have an HDTV yet? I really don't think Sony has too many investors to worry about man, they are a entertainment/multimedia monopoly.

How many movies do you watch a month? Do you have an HDTV yet?

This was another reason I couldn't see myself shelling out the cash. I know it is a Blu-Ray/HDTV DVD player.

I am lucky to get maybe two movies a month unless it involves Buzz, Woody, Lightning or Shrek. Plus, I don't have HDTV...yet.

Our TV just went out so I am hoping sometime in the near future I am able to talk the wife, or warden, into getting an HDTV. And actually just about everything is now a days. Maybe after I get that and the price drops a tad more on the PS3 I would look into it but until then I am just going to sit on the sidelines and wait.

well if your in the market for an HDTV, check out the Forum>Hot Deals section at Fatwallet.com from time to time. If there's a HOT deal, it will get posted there.

Hey thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to check that out.