Possible Pick at Linebacker

I like this kid out of Brown by the name of Zac DeOssie. He would be a beast on special teams then possibly a starter on the D in a couple of years.

That guy is either related to you or you read about him on somebody else sight or you need to be hired as an NFL scout if you are that serious about football that you are scouting IVY League Teams. I'm sure Chris Berman would appreciate you naming someone from Brown since he's an alumi.

I like this kid out of Brown by the name of Zac DeOssie. He would be a beast on special teams then possibly a starter on the D in a couple of years.

That guy is either related to you or you read about him on somebody else sight or you need to be hired as an NFL scout if you are that serious about football that you are scouting IVY League Teams. I'm sure Chris Berman would appreciate you naming someone from Brown since he's an alumi.

I've seen Zak ranked on a couple draft sites. He's ranked in the Top 10 OLBs on Draft Daddy.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/rankedOLB.cfm#X

NFLDraftCountdown has him ranked at 7 for ILBs

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/ilb.html

Looking at Lindy's right now has him as the #9 ILB...

6-4, 245, 4.6 40 Time

They gave him a very good write up, but said he's a better athlete than football player. Says, he doesn't have the physicality to remain on the inside at the next level. That being said, it's just another opinion...

WHODEY !!!

He's the 3rd rated inside backer by the web site NFL Draft Dog, one of the few pundits out there that actually attend both the senior bowl and the combine. They say about Zak DeOssie:

A couple small school linebackers really raised their draft stock at the 2007 NFL Combine. Zak DeOssie from Brown and Justin Durant from Hampton looked good in drills and put up some very good numbers. DeOssie is another good-sized linebacker, big enough to play outside in the 3-4 defense. He measured in at 6’ 4.5” 250 pounds and ran his 40 yard dash at 4.64 seconds. His athletic ability was displayed when he ran the 3-cone drill at 6.89 seconds. DeOssie also had a 10’ 2” broad jump. Durant is a little smaller at 6’ 230 pounds, but he ran a nice 4.53 second 40 yard dash, 6.77 second 3-cone drill, and a 20 yard shuttle run of 4.09 seconds.

Those are David Pollack - type numbers.

Don't you just love brick-throwers who have absolutely no clue, but assume shouting somebody down will make them look smart? Way to go, JB :sure:

From Hobson:

One of the rookies from this year’s class, Miami of Florida linebacker Jon Beason, surfaced in the Bengals locker room Tuesday and he briefly chatted with Miami native Rashad Jeanty. Each NFL team is allowed a certain number of prospects to be granted pre-draft visits.

Per nfl.com On BEASON

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/beason_jon

"Negatives: Lack of size is a concern, but he plays stronger than his frame indicates … Will need to add more bulk to play on the outside at the next level, but his frame is at maximum growth potential … Scrapes to the ball well, but looks lost trying to stay on the hip of the receiver on longer routes, as he peeks into the backfield too long and doesn't have that second gear needed to recover (better speed moving laterally or straight ahead rather than moving backwards) … His lack of size also comes into play when trying to locate the ball in trash … Can be stacked at the line of scrimmage by the larger blockers due to the size difference … Needs to develop better rip moves as blockers generally lock on to his initial attempt … Good wrap-up tackler, but needs to go a little low in order to properly secure the opponent (not a hammer-type of tackler) … His frame may be better served at inside linebacker, but he will need time to develop because he has only limited reps at that position … Does not show natural hands for the interception and needs to time his leaps better competing for the ball at its high point"

WE HAVE ENOUGH UNDERSIZED LINEBACKERS

WE HAVE ENOUGH UNDERSIZED LINEBACKERS

I guess you're referring to Landon and Caleb? Assuming that Beason gets drafted by the Bengals, we wouldn't be seeing either of them on the field all that much. Jeanty and Brooks are far from under-sized... so having one guy as a WSLB who is a bit smaller isn't going to be a huge liability.

Not that I want Beason all that much in the first round. I want a CB... but if he were there in the 2nd, you'd better believe I'd be pumped to have him.

Looking at Lindy's right now has him as the #9 ILB...

6-4, 245, 4.6 40 Time

They gave him a very good write up, but said he's a better athlete than football player. Says, he doesn't have the physicality to remain on the inside at the next level. That being said, it's just another opinion...

WHODEY !!!

Sounds like day 2 wilkins replacement.

Those are David Pollack - type numbers.

Ya but Pollack was a DE who moved to LB that's why his numbers were good.

http://thefootballexpert.com/zakdeossie070002.html

Zak DeOssie went to Brown University; however he is no sleeper. When DeOssie gets drafted on the first day, NFL draft nerds will not be surprise. DeOssie’s huge 6-5 frame and impressive speed have made scouts excited, and with that DeOssie’s stock is climbing quickly up the boards. DeOssie finished his career at Brown with 308 tackles, 36.5 tackles for loss, and three First-Team All Ivy League.

What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?

Zak DeOssie: 252 official, 4.58 at the Combine

Describe your game in three words or less.

Zak DeOssie: Never ending motor

What do you feel is your greatest strength as a football player and what area do you feel you need to improve in?

Zak DeOssie: I feel that my size and speed are my biggest attributes as a player which allows me to cover the field sideline to sideline. The area I need to improve on is getting off of blocks and not allowing linemen to engage with me.

What NFL player do you do you think you compare favorably to?

Zak DeOssie: If I had to choose, I would say Mike Vrabel or Brian Urlacher.

Who is the best player you have faced during your career?

Zak DeOssie: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Harvard QB

What is your greatest football moment to date?

Zak DeOssie: Winning the Ivy League Championship my junior year, 2005.

Did you have a favorite pro team growing up? Favorite player?

Zak DeOssie: New England Patriots. My favorite player was my father, Steve DeOssie

When you get your first professional paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?

Zak DeOssie: I will pay off my student loans immediately.

How have you been preparing and training since the end of your college season?

Zak DeOssie: I have been driving from Providence to Boston 4 times a week since December. I have been working with Mike Boyle, my strength coach. My workouts were geared towards perfecting combine drills and now it has gotten back to overall football conditioning.

Do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft?

Zak DeOssie: I am just looking forward to getting the opportunity to play for any team.

What is the one thing you will most miss at college?

Zak DeOssie: I will miss my teammates. I will miss the summers, working with my teammates and working out in the afternoon. We had so much fun over the last four years together.

Where is the best place to get a bite to eat in Providence?

Zak DeOssie: My favorite place in Providence is Cassarino’s up on federal hill. I have been going there since freshman year and their calamari is unmatched.

What was your favorite college course and why?

Zak DeOssie: My favorite college course was Corporate Governance which is an economics course which covered the fiduciary responsibilities of organizations. It was a very enjoyable and informal course which covered the Enron scandal and other various incidences in the business world.

Any pregame rituals? Food? Music?

Zak DeOssie: Music: Du Hast by Ramstein and Down with the Sickness by Disturbed. I take an old picture of my two sisters and I of when we were very young, and I put it under my pillow before every game, home or away.

What is something football fans may not know about you?

Zak DeOssie: I LOVE to ski. Once I am through with football, I can finally get back on the slopes.

Do you think Chris Berman (fellow Brown alum)is going to do something special when your name is called on Draft Day?

Zak DeOssie: I’m sure he will give me a nice shout out. THE Brown University has many prestigious alum and they are proud of this great institution.

What is one thing most people won’t know about Ivy League football?

Zak DeOssie: Non scholarship STUDENT athletes. Most of us turn down scholarships in order to get a great education and play some great football at the same time.

Tell me your best Harvard joke?

Zak DeOssie: Two recent Harvard grads shared a cab to get downtown. Both were excited about graduating and were talking about their aspirations after college. The cab drive interrupted and asked, “Are you guys Harvard Grads?” They replied, “Yes we are! Class of 2006!” The cab driver extended his hand and said, “Class of 72”

Do you read mock drafts or what draft experts have to say?

Zak DeOssie: I try to pay no attention to those things.

What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?

Zak DeOssie: I will begin institutional sales and trading, take my series exams and start trading immediately, with hopes of becomes an institutional salesman soon there after.