Modell's on his way out...

jjakq27

Did anyone see the article in Sunday's Enquirer with Art Modell?? He basically says that he had to move from Cleveland or he would've gone bankrupt. He claims that he made a deal with the city to provide the maintenance for Municipal Stadium which strapped him financially.

I think it is ironic that he had to sell the team anyway even after he got a boatload of money from Baltimore.

He said he is most proud of the TV contracts he helped get for the NFL and he sidestepped the whole Paul Brown firing issue by saying that PB was an innovator and a legendary figure in football.

Art Modell was going bankrupt. He could not turn a profit in the "mistake by the lake". He sold 49% of the team to Steve Bischotti for cash flow. We turned that cash into Shannon Sharpe, Sam Adams, and Trent Dilfer and a Super Bowl Ring.

He sold the team now because he goes out with money for his family. Modell was never in it for the money.

Cleveland f**ed him over and then cried wolf when he left. Michael White deserves egg on his face.

He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

F*** Cleveland. Let them enjoy Butch Davis and Jeff Garcia

:D

He sold the team now because he goes out with money for his family.  Modell was never in it for the money.

Why wouldn't he just pass the team on to his family?

The NFL made him sell the Browns, er I mean Ravens ;) as part of the deal for moving to Baltimore.

The NFL did not make him sell the team. He was in debt and about to go bankrupt that is why he moved to Baltimore. We couldn't buy any free agents the first two years because Modell had no cash flow. Heck the MD Stadium Authority charged him a dollar per year rent. He sold the minority interest to Bischotti for short term cash relief. In that agreement Bischotti reserved the right to buy the rest of the team in 4 years.

And Kevnz, we are the Ravens, we have a super bowl trophy and you and Cleveland do not. We also won the division last year so call us whatever you want.

You're gunning for us and not the other way around. Welcome BACK to the NFL.

We've been here for awhile now....

The NFL did not make him sell the team. He was in debt and about to go bankrupt that is why he moved to Baltimore. We couldn't buy any free agents the first two years because Modell had no cash flow. Heck the MD Stadium Authority charged him a dollar per year rent. He sold the minority interest to Bischotti for short term cash relief. In that agreement Bischotti reserved the right to buy the rest of the team in 4 years.

And Kevnz, we are the Ravens, we have a super bowl trophy and you and Cleveland do not. We also won the division last year so call us whatever you want.

Jam I think Kevin's asking why is he selling the team now?

He's selling the team so he can retire and leave his family well-off. He is also is poor health...

And I don't know the technicalities but it is harder now to sell the team to your family, or pass it down.

Apparently, the stupid redskins (Cooke family) tried to do the same thing but the NFL made them put it up for bids which is how Snyder got that team (luckily for them)

How did Mike Brown get ownership?? Or what year???

Ooh, I think I hit a nerve...I didn't think you'd be so testy about the whole Baltimore Browns thing. ;)

My mistake about the NFL making Modell sell, My faulty memory and all that, thanks for clearing it up, but hey what ever it takes to get Modell the hell out of the NFL....He might have been the "Ravens" owner at the end, but he was the Browns owners a lot longer.

He's selling the team so he can retire and leave his family well-off. He is also is poor health...

And I don't know the technicalities but it is harder now to sell the team to your family, or pass it down.

Apparently, the stupid redskins (Cooke family) tried to do the same thing but the NFL made them put it up for bids which is how Snyder got that team (luckily for them)

PB passed away in 1991. I am unsure about how the team was transferred to Mike. His official title is President and his daughter Katie is Exec. VP.

I think Mike Brown has always had some ownership in the team. I know he did a lot of the footwork in establishing this team.

I don't think there's any problem passing on a franchise, but I think it the Cookes family they didn't set it up to pass it on...Cause look at the Bears, Steelers, and Giants...They've been getting passed down as well.

Yeah I dont really know the whole specifics either???

But yes Kevnz you hit a nerve! We both got what we want, you get Modell out of the league and us Baltimoreans get a football team which is all we wanted in the first place.

But I will ALWAYS defend Modell because he brought football back to Baltimore, if you were in my situation you would probably feel the same way.

Hell blame drunk ass Bob Irsay for moving the Colts in the middle of a snowstorm and we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place!!!

Yeah I dont really know the whole specifics either???

But yes Kevnz you hit a nerve! We both got what we want, you get Modell out of the league and us Baltimoreans get a football team which is all we wanted in the first place.

But I will ALWAYS defend Modell because he brought football back to Baltimore, if you were in my situation you would probably feel the same way.

Hell blame drunk ass Bob Irsay for moving the Colts in the middle of a snowstorm and we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place!!!

Well no complaints about getting Art out of the league that's for sure...and I personally think that Irsay should be drawn and quartered for what he did to Baltimore, and I'm less than impressed with him cutting into the Bengals market share...I will never ever say anything nice about Modell, he is the reason the Bengals are here today cause he was dumb enough to fire one of the greatest coaches ever, then for an encore he manages to dick over one of the greatest running backs ever...Of course he did inflict great pain upon Cleveland, and then to make it worse he wins the Super Bowl, and then Cleveland get's the "new" Browns...HAHAHAHA.....

Well no complaints about getting Art out of the league that's for sure...and I personally think that Irsay should be drawn and quartered for what he did to Baltimore, and I'm less than impressed with him cutting into the Bengals market share...I will never ever say anything nice about Modell, he is the reason the Bengals are here today cause he was dumb enough to fire one of the greatest coaches ever, then for an encore he manages to dick over one of the greatest running backs ever...Of course he did inflict great pain upon Cleveland, and then to make it worse he wins the Super Bowl, and then Cleveland get's the "new" Browns...HAHAHAHA.....

At least we can always laugh at those browns "old" or "new" B)