Round 6 Pick 2/2: Chris Evans, RB, Michigan

TDN:

Michigan running back Chris Evans presents as an appealing Day 3 gamble for an NFL franchise to take. Evans has all of the physical skills necessary to be an impact ball-carrier, but his pathway to the NFL has been marred by some bumps in the road along the way. Evans missed the entire 2019 season due to academic suspension and his return in 2020 was him only used sparingly—so there’s a two-year gap between his high-impact play and when an NFL team will need to make an investment in him. But Evans offers the density, contact balance, and cutting ability that you need to create added yardage and big runs on your own—and he does offer skills that should translate on third downs as well. Evans is a dark horse because of the unknown variables at play, but a team that can build out the proper infrastructure and support system around him may reap the benefits of this physically talented back. 

Ideal Role: Developmental starter.

Scheme Fit: Scheme flexible.

45 minutes ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

Well IMO they are blowing these late round picks 

do we really need a big slow RB that needs work on his blocking technique?

Who are you describing? Because it is not Chris evans. 

26 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Shrug. He’s PS at best. Him, Hill and whoever they take with last pick aren’t making the active roster. The first three guys, McPherson and maybe two of the fourths stick.

Practice squad at best? Lol, no. He’s better than Trayvon Williams right now. He’s been one of my favorite late round RB targets.

Guys - if you are counting on harbaugj for a correct evaluation, you may be doing it wrong. He missed the entire 2019 season for academic suspension and was dog housed when he got back from that. He worked three jobs while suspended to earn his way back onto the team. His 2018 tape was damn good. 

I am telling you, he’s a gem. 

11 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Am underwhelmed by this pick.  I watched several Michigan games last season and was deeply unimpressed by Evans who seemed to completely disappear for large stretches of games.

I think you are confusing him with his teammate Ben Mason maybe?

33 minutes ago, membengal said:

I think you are confusing him with his teammate Ben Mason maybe?

Nope Evans, though from what I heard he deeply impressed the Bengals at the Senior Bowl.  We will see the scouts and coaches know 1000% more than I do, I will trust their evaluations.

I am reasonably happy with this pick, tho I have to say this pick was only necessary due to the moronic decision to let Gio walk.

Said another way -- while I am not unhappy with this pick, I'd have preferred Gio to be on the roster still and lets say a deep speed receiver taken here instead

all that aside......seems like a quick twitch high end athlete who desperately needs a second chance, and he'll hopefully get one with the Bengals.     

• Like 2

I absolutely didnt like them casting off Gio, but with Gio gone, I really like this pick. 

Very low risk, potentially very high returns

My only real worry, injury (as with all players) aside, is him staying a solid citizen during his time in Cincinnati.  Just guessing here, but I get the feeling he'll run (no pun intended) with his second chance here, just as Mixon has thus far

He wasn't an off-field problem in Ann Arbor, he plagarized. I don't see him being asked to turn in any term papers as part of his employment for the Bengals.