Round 4 Pick 3/3: D’ante Smith, OT, East Carolina

TDN:

D’Ante Smith was the primary starting left tackle for East Carolina in 2018 and 2019. He was expected to start for a third year in 2020 but an undisclosed injury limited him to just one game. Smith features a lean, athletic build and has good mobility, hand usage, and length. Where Smith needs to improve is with his weight distribution, body control, contact balance, and functional strength. He also needs to fill out his frame to help him hold up more effectively at the point of attack. There is developmental appeal with Smith, but there is notable work to be done. His best fit comes in a west coast offense where he can quick set and avoid deeper pass sets and in a zone blocking run scheme where his modest power can be mitigated and mobility accentuated. There should not be expectations of him starting on Sundays early in his career, but he could compete for a starting role by Year 3 should he develop. 

Ideal Role: Developmental offensive tackle.

Scheme Fit: West coast, zone run scheme.

4 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

TDN:

D’Ante Smith was the primary starting left tackle for East Carolina in 2018 and 2019. He was expected to start for a third year in 2020 but an undisclosed injury limited him to just one game. Smith features a lean, athletic build and has good mobility, hand usage, and length. Where Smith needs to improve is with his weight distribution, body control, contact balance, and functional strength. He also needs to fill out his frame to help him hold up more effectively at the point of attack. There is developmental appeal with Smith, but there is notable work to be done. His best fit comes in a west coast offense where he can quick set and avoid deeper pass sets and in a zone blocking run scheme where his modest power can be mitigated and mobility accentuated. There should not be expectations of him starting on Sundays early in his career, but he could compete for a starting role by Year 3 should he develop. 

Ideal Role: Developmental offensive tackle.

Scheme Fit: West coast, zone run scheme.

Dallas took the guy I liked. So here’s another one. Bam. 

• Like 1

A prospect OT. OK

EDIT

Maybe this kid is the steal of the draft?

From Pro football network:

In his latest big board for Pro Football Network, Tony Pauline lists him as a guard. Pauline ranks D’Ante Smith as the third-best guard prospect in this 2021 NFL Draft class. He also lists him as his 64th ranked overall prospect with a second-round grade.

to me, and especially for a team with as many holes as this one has, the 4th round has to be a round where you're still trying to find starters.......starters like Boling, maybe even like Geno or Lawson, all three being 4th rounders

I dont see the 4th round for a team with this many holes as a round to be taking a developmental player at any position.

so yes, while this was an OL, this was not the right OL, and as such I am not happy with this pick, at all

so the trade at 38......I liked the potential value we gained but I really think the Bengals squandered those riches both with the replacement 2nd rounder and both of the two 4th rounders thereby gained......sad

I’ve just never cared much about who in drafts. I’m much more interested in what (position). The more recognizable names might make us feel comfortable, but that’s only on the basis of worthless mocks and prognostication from people who don’t actually make picks. I mean no offense to anyone when I say: I strongly doubt anyone here has seen enough tape of any fourth round pick to assess who.

This is an offensive lineman. Cool. I hope he’s good. /end thought process 

• Like 1

one senior bowl report: 

Analysis

D’Ante Smith was low-key one of the biggest risers on the offensive line this week. He weighed in under 300 pounds at 6-foot-5, but he also logged the largest wingspan of any lineman at over 85 inches. Smith’s wingspan was as imposing as advertised. The ECU blocker used his length to negate rushes early, and he also showed the exceptional functional athleticism necessary to drive defenders away with his length. He was impressive in both one-on-ones and in team settings, showing versatility at guard and tackle. He only played two days, but he did more than enough to rise.

Another Senior Bowl report: 

ECU OT D’Ante Smith is one of the biggest winners of this week so far. 

Frame looks light, but Smith has appeared strong and powerful all week. Great athleticism and feet. Gets his spot on his pass sets. 

Hope the ECU tape is like this, because Smith looks pretty darn good.

— Nick Farabaugh (@FarabaughFB) January 28, 2021

I am sorta kinda perplexed about one thing about this guy:  his weight

I've seen it reported as anywhere between 287 and 305, which seems like a pretty wide range for a job where weight is a an important part of the overall resume

305 is on the light side......287 is very very on the light side

possibly related second question:  I see he was out most of 2020 injured.  what was the injury?

Based on what I am hearing, he needs to fill out his frame with more mass and muscle, and so it almost seems (not that I would wish an injury on anyone) that he'd actually benefit from going on IR for the year and just basically working on getting his body bigger/stronger while absorbing the playbook

He wasn’t injured per se - there were a variety of Covid issues that derailed his year- listen to the HTPG where Dehner interviewed Mike Potts for details. Being kept away from teaming table and weight room was extremely negative for him among other things. He plays at 305 or more but was down to 287 at one point in the fall. Back up to 306 at his pro day. Being in the nfl with access to nutritionists and the weight room and all that and a frame that can take even more weight will help. 

Thanks for the info, Mem

so I did some more research on this guy and I have to say the weight increases over such a relatively short period of time are a little worrisome

Said another way - I suspect some of the weight gained (between 287 and 305) isnt good weight, ie pure lean muscle, but I'd also say that this just means he needs some time and work getting his body sized/builtup to NFL standards

Can he play at his current 305?  I dunno, but hopefully he'll get a ton of snaps in preseason to see how he's progressed. 

I hope he is hitting the weight room like his life depends on it and chowing down on a ton of lean protein to add about 10 pounds of muscle mass and transform an existing 10 pounds into muscle mass.  If he can get himself up to 315/320 in this fashion, we might just might have a heir apparent at ORT.  I dont think he makes the roster at 300-305

I am confident Chase will be fine, so the main players I will be watching through all of the remaining time between now and game 1 are Ossai, Carman, and this guy Smith.  With Smith, the main question for me is.......do we let him take a year off (on one of the reserve lists) to simply get bigger/stronger, or can he do enough between now and Game 1 to take u a precious roster spot by becoming one of our two swing tackles, meaning either the Big Johnson (also known as Fred) or Adeniji are released. 

We usually keep 4th round picks, just sayin

• 2 weeks later...