Round 4 Pick 1/3: Cameron Sample, DE, Tulane

Not happy with this pick at all

we already handled the passrushing DE need earlier with Ossai

OT Dan Moore would have been much better picks here......he could have been the heir apparent at ORT, groomed by Reiff this year to start next year

sad and unfortunate that UC's Hudson was taken just ahead of this pick.  would have absolutely loved him at this pick....he definitely would have become our heir apparent ORT

Are you familiar with the Ravens GM saying just this week that the draft is a crap shoot and you need to take as many swings as possible to find a few that hit? That literally what the bengals did was that? 

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

Are you familiar with the Ravens GM saying just this week that the draft is a crap shoot and you need to take as many swings as possible to find a few that hit? That literally what the bengals did was that? 

That was one of the most interesting things about the draft I’ve heard.  Ozzie supposedly had the opinion there is no way to predict who will pan out, so go for volume.  Certainly a different thought process than the normal “Ozzie is a personnel genius” narrative we heard for years.

It helps me to understand this pick a bit better if the Bengals are looking at him as a 3TDT instead of a DE

I have been looking at him until now as a DE (the listings I have read also say he is a DE) so he admittedly underwhelmed me, and thats even with knowing he was declared defensive MVP of the Senior Bowl

so anyway.....3TDT is the the passrushing DT role currently manned by Ogunjobi and Daniels, where Geno was so very effective for so many years (damnit, I miss that guy)

A lot of what I have been reading indicates he has been more effective as a 3TDT, so thats good.

His weight is sorta tweener-ish at 275.....I mean, Geno was considered light at 290-300.......so this guy just like Smith needs to add some good weight,  and quickly.  Heck, it might even be a good idea to get these two to room together and get them a personal chef to stuff them both with high quality lean proteins as essentially they both need more mass and more muscle

since my main problem with drafting him was that we already had Ossai and I didnt see the need for another DE, Im gonna edit that part of my draft grade now

• 2 weeks later...