The Complete 2020-21 Offseason Plan v2

TJJackson

I interpret Hobson’s “o-line is all set” stance to mean we’re not trading up to get Sewell. Just have to accept whatever is there at 6.  SOP for Mike and company, trading a pick is just too much work.  Remember all the GMs etc a year or two ago?  They couldn’t even figure out who to call up begin trade negotiations.  Easiest way to justify not trading?  We don’t need a trade!

well, I hope they dont trade up.

we need more guys, not fewer guys, and Sewell alone (especially if we give up another 2 premium picks to move up) just deprives us of yet another high quality player or two

Given the choice between

A. Sewell and the loss of our r2 and maybe even our r3 or r4 pick

B. All three picks

Gimme choice B every day and twice on Sunday

I'll also mention here as I have on other posts that Sewell has only played a year and a half of college ball.  I am NOT saying he won't be great, rather, I am saying thats hes a little light on game tape to be placing such a premium on him

Sewell is a can’t miss guy (allegedly).  We could easily miss on our round 2 pick.  I’m for trading up to get him, but getting to number 2 is too expensive.  Have to have a game plan in place if he falls on draft day, be ready to move up a spot or two.

thanks Mem, I meant 5, didn’t proofread as I blather away on my phone.  Using the phone instead of the laptop has substantively changed the stuff I write and even how I write it.  And not for the better, I’m afraid.

Absolutely. In that scenario, one of the QBs is there at 5 (wilson or fields)  and there should be a ton of teams interested in moving up. Trade down would be a must. The mistake would be staying put at 5 if Sewell and Chase are gone and not trading back at that point. 

I think we are more or less in agreement for a change, Mem.

Through a combination of picking up two high quality OL and possibly shifting Williams to ORT or OG to optimize the arrangement of the 5 starters on the OL.

(not saying I want Jonah moved, rather, I want the best possible arrangement of the 5 and if moving Jonah accomplishes that then so be it)

In such a case, I'd still want an OL no later than r3, and preferably earlier in the 2021 draft; and I dont think taking one in r1 - Darrisaw, Cosmi, or Slater, for example - would be out of the question either if we traded down

One or more of these tackles (including Leatherwood from Alabama who was the Rimington Award winner this year) are going to be available at our pick in Rd. 2

23 hours ago, membengal said:

Darrisaw, Cosmi and or Slater (assuming slater won’t have to go inside) are great targets in a trade down situation. Agreed. While you are at it, read up on the Oklahoma state T - Jenkins...

If you have a chance to get the best WR and he is your QBs go to guy in college....you take him.  By hook or by crook I believe 3 QBs go top five which means either Chase or Sewell will be there if one of those guys are there you take one of them.  If you miss out on a Tackle in RD 1 it is not the end of the world.

Look at the top 10 tackles from the PFF list on the draft list, TJ, and tell me where your cutoff is for "he-won't-be-there-in-round 2". Then look at next three tackles and read up on them - any of them pique your interest for round 2 if Sewell is gone and the team stays put at 5 and gets Chase?

48 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Just sayin I dont see Darrisaw as sliding past the low 20s in r1

I get that. I was looking to expand the conversation. I dropped the current TDN tackle rankings in the draft thread. 

Darrisaw and Slater are unlikely to be there in rd. 2 but Cosmi, Leatherwood, Mayfield and Jenkins have a chance.  VERY likely that one or two if those guys are going to be available at our selection in rd. 2 or we could go with Wyatt Davis in Rd. 2 and go for Faalele from MN , Radunz from USD, or Eichenberg from Notre Dame in rd. 3.  Honestly deepest Tackle draft I can remember.  All of these guys would be an improvement over the guys we have in roster.

22 Offensive linemen have been drafted in Round 1 and 2 the past 2 drafts.  That seems higher than normal.     That factors favorably into 1 or more unexpected prospects being there at 37.

Also there is a decent FA offensive line class.   That will have teams investing in OL prior to the draft whether it be resign or new team.

I think the chances of Sewell being at 5 are good.   Both NY and Miami took round 1 tackles last year.

They'll probably have a shot at drafting a lineman with a first round mock at 37. 

I think the chances are good the Bengals will have at least 2 new opening day starters on the offensive line from guys not on the roster at year end.    If not, then either have had bad luck with injuries in TC or didn't make adding talent a priority.

10 hours ago, Wraith said:

Darrisaw and Slater are unlikely to be there in rd. 2 but Cosmi, Leatherwood, Mayfield and Jenkins have a chance.  VERY likely that one or two if those guys are going to be available at our selection in rd. 2 or we could go with Wyatt Davis in Rd. 2 and go for Faalele from MN , Radunz from USD, or Eichenberg from Notre Dame in rd. 3.  Honestly deepest Tackle draft I can remember.  All of these guys would be an improvement over the guys we have in roster.

I think Leatherwood ends up inside - otherwise, for T purposes I agree on Cosmi , mayfield, and Jenkins being there in second round potentially. What do you think of the monstrous sized Fanane? Massive RT prospect - might be there in third?

Hate to keep pounding the free agency drum, but this off-season is a one time opportunity to fix your roster at a great price.  Example - the Saints are losing Brees, they’re 95 million over the cap next year, and they only have 4 draft picks.

Some of these teams mortgaged their futures, and with the cap going down the bill is coming due with interest.  Good players on decent second contracts are going to get traded for 2nd day picks.  Good players are going to get outright cut.  

Teams that prepare now, study other teams roster and cap situations, can target players, talk to agents, basically make a killing.  Come on Bengals!

COB: on what date does the new year and the new cap apply, ie when each team has to be under the new number with new contract numbers?

(Im bad with this stuff - I figure you have to keep track so you know when you have to get a new gutter cleaner)

That said, while I truly believe that the Bengals would be best served by spending about 20-30 mil (combined, not each) on two top tier FA Offensive linemen - at least one of which has to be an ORT - I pretty much believe they won't, sadly, which will alienate New Guy bigtime which will mean we lose him after 5 years.  They have to pony up for serious bigtime protection NOW or he will be gone the moment his contract is up, regardless of whether he is tagged or not