2021 NFL Draft

I am still very much a trade down first guy regardless of who is available at 5

I really do think there will be a multiple trade partners available, but of course I have no way to say that with certainty nor do I have any idea how much greed the Bengals will have when reviewing any offers

I do think there will be multiple contingent offers made prior to draft day, ie "if player x is still available at 5, we'll give you this".  Those of course become moot if player x - likely one of the QBs - gets picked at 2, 3, or 4

If the Bengals cant or wont trade down, give me Sewell regardless of what they did in Free Agency.  Protect New Guy is Mission 1

I've come to like Chase a lot more than I did say a month ago (go watch Sheerans video: https://twitter.com/i/status/1347553142762737666) If Sewell isnt available, my next choices in order would be: Slater, Chase, Darrisaw, Pitts.  In this ordering, I am seeing Pitts used primarily as a WR rather than a TE, and yes, I like Darrisaw a lot more than most folks and know he'd be considered by most as a MAJOR reach at 5..  I really, really wish there was a DE I liked here, but Paye's lack of production scares me and I dont like Rousseau at all even though his one year of production was crazy good

I can see that

I am trying to see Pitts at the moment as a really big wide receiver......if he were to turn out like a healthy Eifert, I could see him being just as being roughly equal to the other three WRs in this conversation. 

But the blocking would need to be improved right away

I'd still rather have a tradedown (which still might net us Pitts, just at a later pick) or a blocker

Let me ask you this, mem......if they were to adequately (in your estimation) address OL and acquire an above average WR with top tier speed in FA, how is Pitts looking then?

I am guessing thats still a big no :-)

10-15?

this guy Pitts is being pushed as the 2nd coming by some sources

Sheeran deals with it with some humor, and helped push me in the direction of him being thought of at least initially as a really big WR rather than a complete TE, which is he isn't right now.  And after all, we are definitely looking at receivers, to be fair

https://twitter.com/John__Sheeran/status/1357700003159019524

On 2/4/2021 at 11:48 PM, COB said:

Just read that whole thing.  It’s got to be Sewell at 5, and if we have to move up, at least try to do so.

Need the picks, so I can't see moving up, unless they're trading a player, but I'm still on the Sewell train as well.  

I don't know why they'd consider Pitts at #5,  I'd still take Chase or Smith over him there.  

• Like 2

PFF engine - this time I refused to do a first round deal to mimic a likely bengals approach where if they trade back it is likely in 2nd and/or 3rd rounds...came out with:

Round 1 pick 5: Ja'Marr Chase, WR LSU
Round 2 pick 42: Elijah Vera-Tucker, T/G USC
Round 3 pick 71: Joseph Ossai, Edge, Texas
Round 3 pick 74: Creed Humphrey, C, OU
Round 4 pick 110: Rodarius Williams, CB, OkState
Round 4 pick 112: Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama
Round 5 pick 150: Brady Christensen, T, BYU
Round 6: pick 191: Richard LeCounte, S, Georgia
Round 7: pick 232: Austin Watkins, WR, UAB
Round 7: pick 234: Josh Jobe, CB, Alabama
Round 7: pick 250: William Bradley-King, Edge, Baylor

Thoughts? Was curious what not trading back in 1 and trading back in 2 and/or 3 might look like in an effort to mimic real world conditions for the Bengals...

(First 4 off the board in that sim were Lawrence, Fields, Sewell, and Caleb Fairley)

30 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

dont need a LB, do need a passrushing DT

the pass rushing d-tackles were gone by then and Moses was by far the best value on the board.  Reader back, Tupou back, probably re-sign Daniels - ideally would get another d-tackle but I refused to reach.

Here's one I just did on PFF where I did no trades at all - just to see how the board would fall, looked like this:

First four taken in the draft where Lawrence, Wilson, Waddle and Chase. Then rest of draft went like this w/ me picking (again, I didn't make any trades):

Round 1 Pick 5 overall: Penei Sewell, T, Oregon
Round 2 Pick 37 overall: Azeez Ojulari, Edge, Georgia
Round 3 Pick 69 overall: Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern
Round 4 Pick 110 overall: Jay Tufele, IDL, USC
Round 5 Pick 150 overall: Shi Smith, WR, South Carolina
Round 6 Pick 191 overall: Sardarius Hutchison, IOL, South Carolina
Round 7: Pick 231 overall: Logan Hall, IDL, Houston
Round 7: Pick 233 overall: Jacoby Stevens, S, LSU

I don't...hate it? Thoughts?

Btw, passing on WRs everywhere killed me. In this scenario they better have signed a good WR in FA...

Joisey:  yep, he's an impressive WR.  I still prefer Sewell at 5, but if they handle OL in FA -- and they should, but this is SoaG and Pumpkin we're taking about here, so who the fuck knows -- then I think I could accept Chase as the pick at 5

Mem:  maybe go into each mock draft attempt with a stated assumption about how the FA period went for the Bengals.  Like for example if we failed to get 2 upper-tier OLs in FA that example draft would be a less than great one for the Bengals

• Like 1

TJ - assume you know nothing about FA and do a draft with no trades. That was my point in the exercise - to get value and cover needs. But you can't cover it all if you don't trade back.  All I've heard from you and others is that we need to attack both lines of scrimmage - and I spent five of eight picks on the two lines and you still say it isn't enough. Be real.