2021 NFL Draft

Kiper buys into the QBx4 scenario and gives the Bengals Pitts at 5 (paywalled as always)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31114487/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-new-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-including-two-trades-needs-patriots-dolphins-panthers

All along, I've thought it was going to be an offensive tackle here, but if Pitts and wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase are on the board, can the Bengals really pass them up? Joe Burrow has to get more playmakers around him. I think Pitts is just too good, and he would instantly upgrade this offense. He is one of the most talented tight ends I've ever graded, and there are people in the NFL who think he could be the second-best prospect in this class. With a deep offensive line class, Cincinnati could likely find a starting tackle or guard at the top of Round 2.

First round OL: He has Penei going at 9 to the Vikes (they trade up). Slater at 13 to SD. Darrislaw 19 to WFT. Vera-Tucker to the Bears at 20. Jenkins 24 to Pitt. Collins 26 to Cleveland. Eichenberg to KC at 31.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Kiper buys into the QBx4 scenario and gives the Bengals Pitts at 5 (paywalled as always)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31114487/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-new-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-including-two-trades-needs-patriots-dolphins-panthers

First round OL: He has Penei going at 9 to the Vikes (they trade up). Slater at 13 to SD. Darrislaw 19 to WFT. Vera-Tucker to the Bears at 20. Jenkins 24 to Pitt. Collins 26 to Cleveland. Eichenberg to KC at 31.

So that leaves, Wyatt Davis, Alex Leatherwood, Walker Little, Sam Cosmi, Landon Dickerson, Dillon Radunz, Jalen Mayfield, and Jackson Carmen as folks available to us at the top of round two that carry a starting caliber grade at oline.  I like my chances of one of them slipping to us at #38.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

While I like Darrisaw more than Slater, if that happens at #5 I will start prepping my molotov cocktails that night.

Between Darrisan and Slater, Darrisaw is a better fit for the Bengals because he is a plug and play RT, that said Slater is a better football player, IMHO.  I personally would draft the better football player 10 out of 10 times.

And of course, if they pass on Sewell to draft Darrisaw someone needs to come and haul Mike Brown off to the insane asylum  because he has clearly lost his mind.  Sometimes I think these draft guys mock the Bengals doing stupid shit just because the audience as a whole needs someone to laugh at and the Bengals are the best target.

Vera Tucker has 32 inch arms and benched 225 36 times

I would love him as our ORG here, esp if he added 10 more lbs

https://theathletic.com/2392911/2021/03/24/2021-nfl-draft-pro-days-news-results-get-ready-for-uscs-alijah-vera-tucker-as-nfl-guard/

Alijah Vera-Tucker, one of the top interior offensive line prospects in the 2021 class, took his testing turn Wednesday at USC’s pro day. Vera-Tucker played left tackle for the Trojans last season and has some positional versatility to his game, but his home in the NFL feels like it will settle best at guard, where he played in 2018 and 2019.

Vera-Tucker measured in at 6-foot-4, 308 pounds, with 32 1/8-inch arms. Length-wise, Tucker is a guard. Film-wise, he’s a guard. And an athletic guard at that. The USC prospect put together a strong testing session Wednesday, with a 5.1-second 40-yard dash, 32-inch vertical jump and 36 bench reps of 225 pounds (numbers per NFL Network).

My most recent mock--- this one using PFF --- practicing leaving myself open to the possibility of Pitts. I did a trade down and got Carolina's 1st and 2nd and a first next year to move from 5 to 8.

The result:

Round 1 Pick 8 overall (after tradeback):  Kyle PItts, TE, Florida

Round 2 Pick 38 overall:  Alex Leatherwood, T/G, Alabama

Round 2 Pick 41 overall (acquired from Carolina):  Jaelen Phillips, Edge, UMiami

Round 3 PIck 69 overall:  Carlos Basham Jr., Edge, Wake Forest

Round 4 Pick 110 overall:  Quinn Meinerz, IOL, Wisc Whitewater

Round 5 PIck 149 overall:  Brady Christensen, T, BYU

Round 6 Pick 190 overall:  D'Wayne Eskridge, WR, Western Michigan;

Round 6 Pick 202 overall:  Marquez Stevenson, WR, Houston

Round 7 Pick 235 overall:  Jacoby Stevens, S, LSU

Using TDN mock engine, here's a scenario where I traded back to land at 12 in first round. It yielded these picks from me:

Round 1 Pick 12 overall: Rashawn Slater, OT/G, Northwestern
Round 2 Pick 38 overall: Landon Dickerson, IOL, Alabama
Round 2 Pick 40 overall (acquired in tradeback): Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss
Round 3 Pick 69 overall: Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina
Round 4 Pick 102 overall: Alim McNeil, IDL, NC State
Round 4 Pick 111 overall (acquired in tradeback): Janarius Robinson, Edge, Florida State
Round 5 Pick 149 overall: Ambry Thomas, CB, Michigan
Round 6 Pick 190 overall: Tommy Kraemer, IOL, Notre Dame
Round 6 Pick 202 overall: Christian Uphoff, S, Illinois State
Round 7 Pick 230 overall (acquired in tradeback): Jaelon Darden, WR, North Texas
Round 7 Pick 235 overall: Tay Gowan, CB, Central Florida

There's PLENTY of line help and options if they stay put or trade back that help this team, even if they don't get Penei Sewell.

Here's a TDN mock where I stayed put, did no trading of any kind, and took Chase (Sewell went at 4). It yielded this:

Round 1 Pick 5 overall: Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
Round 2 Pick 38 overall: Liam Eichenberg, T, Notre Dame
Round 3 Pick 69 overall: Milton Williams, IDL, La Tech
Round 4 Pick 111 overall: Deonte Brown, IOL, Alabama
Round 5 Pick 149 overall: Tarron Jackson, Edge, Coastal Carolina
Round 6 Pick 190 overall: Tay Gowan, CB, Central Florida
Round 6 Pick 202 overall: Chris Rumph II, Edge, Duke
Round 7 Pick 235 overall: Marquez Stevenson, WR, Houston

There's two fantastic o-line prospects who could each help in 2021 - even where no Sewell.

There's gonna be 2021 o-line help available in this draft even if Sewell is gone at 5 OR if they pass up Sewell at 5.