Jump to content
membengal

Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

So who you ranking? 

Sewell

Chase

Pitts

 

-- My three.  I mean maybe something's come out about Sewell that changes that.  But I also think a trade-down is VERY much in-play and will be going forward.  If 4 QB's actually do come-off the board with the top picks, or even 3, there should be some clamoring for players at #5 who aren't Qb's.  I trade down as far as 8-10 if it means another 1st or 2nd round pick this year, and get a lineman.

 

 

I typically go:

1. Pitts.

2. Chase

3. Slater

4. Sewell

I put Slater ahead of him because he has good film against better competition and demonstrated extreme athleticism in his pro day.

I wouldn't be upset at either one.   A trade down keeping them in range of 1 of those guys is the best thing that could happen.     Plus you throw Smith and Waddle in there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect relying on timely gusts of wind would be more reliable than Sims so absolutely. Let's not carry on that 30 penalties tradition though please.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I typically go:

1. Pitts.

2. Chase

3. Slater

4. Sewell

I put Slater ahead of him because he has good film against better competition and demonstrated extreme athleticism in his pro day.

I wouldn't be upset at either one.   A trade down keeping them in range of 1 of those guys is the best thing that could happen.     Plus you throw Smith and Waddle in there. 

Sewell 1a, Pitts 1b, Chase 1c....they are virtually interchangeable for me, I would love to have any of them on this team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sewell 1a, Pitts 1b, Chase 1c....they are virtually interchangeable for me, I would love to have any of them on this team.

That’s my order as well.  I read a thing about Pitts, guy was effusive, to put it mildly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm warming to the Pitts option. I don't care for a tight end at #5 on principle, but I can't deny that mental images of Burrow throwing to him are extremely sexy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

I can only pray it is for vet min, maybe some performance based adds, maybe

HEY HOKIE IS BACK!

so many of the old gang is showing up these past few weeks :-)

I'm baaaaack. Draft time is always good. I've been sports deprived this year. It's definitely nice to follow some things that are simply entertainment. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a guy that should be on their T radar for the mid-rounds...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2021 at 2:48 PM, Wraith said:

Pitts just ran a 4.46 40 at 6'6" 240 lbs...that is flying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I see what Miami got for dropping, I wonder what will be out there for us in regards to trade down offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reports I read say Darrisaw only did position drills at his pro day......didnt even do arm measurements or anything

very disappointing for a guy I am otherwise counting on being there if we trade down a few spots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports say Pitts is fast and reports say Chase is good.   Why are people holding on to “tackle” at 5?    
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

wReports say Pitts is fast and reports say Chase is good.   Why are people holding on to “tackle” at 5?    

Philosophy with regard to positional value and team-building. A tackle is just worth more than a receiver or a tight end in a vacuum, even if all three of them are great (at least I think so). I'm not going to throw a fit if one of those skill guys gets taken (though if it's a WR I really hope it's Chase and only Chase), but I don't think this dialogue makes much sense if we're treating the positions as equivalent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Reports say Pitts is fast and reports say Chase is good.   Why are people holding on to “tackle” at 5?    

People are holding onto tackle because Joe Burrow is walking around on a rebuilt knee. They’re holding on to tackle at 5 because most people don’t follow the draft very closely (not around here of course, just in general, and that includes many alleged experts in the media) and when they do pop by for a look it’s at something like Kiper’s first round only mock. They have no idea of the depth of the class and assume the team will miss out if they don’t take Sewell (who it should be added has been hyped to the effing stars).

That said, a tackle at 5 would be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stripes said:

Philosophy with regard to positional value and team-building. A tackle is just worth more than a receiver or a tight end in a vacuum, even if all three of them are great (at least I think so). I'm not going to throw a fit if one of those skill guys gets taken (though if it's a WR I really hope it's Chase and only Chase), but I don't think this dialogue makes much sense if we're treating the positions as equivalent.

Not per PFF on positional value in draft. They have WR second behind QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which do you like better? PFF engine - no trades.

Option 1 (the Chase option):

Round 1 Pick 5 Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
Round 2 Pick 38, Sam Cosmi, T, Texas
Round 3 Pick 69, Ben Cleveland, G, Georgia
Round 4 Pick 111, Patrick Jones II, Edge, Pitt
Round 5, Pick 149, Milton Williams, IDL, La Tech
Round 6, Pick 190, D'Wayne Eskridge, WR, Western Mich
Round 6, Pick 202, Terron Jackson, Edge, Coastal Carolina
Round 7, Pick 235, Josh Imatorbhebhe, WR, Illinois

Option 2 (the Sewell option):

Round 1 Pick 5 Penei Sewell, T, Oregon
Round 2 Pick 38, Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina
Round 3 Pick 69, Creed Humphrey, IOL, Oklahoma
Round 4 Pick 111, Jay Tufule, IDL, USC
Round 5, Pick 149, Jaylen Twyman, Edge, Pitt
Round 6, Pick 190, Milton Williams, IDL, La Tech
Round 6, Pick 202, Frank Darby, WR, Arizona State
Round 7, Pick 235, Josh Imatorbhebhe, WR, Illinois

For me, it's a borderline coin flip. I would lean the Chase/T over the Sewell/WR but it's really close. I think this shows why I am not on the Sewell or bust train. Both solutions are very, very workable and would help this team in 2021 and beyond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, membengal said:

Which do you like better? PFF engine - no trades.

Option 1 (the Chase option):

Round 1 Pick 5 Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
Round 2 Pick 38, Sam Cosmi, T, Texas
Round 3 Pick 69, Ben Cleveland, G, Georgia
Round 4 Pick 111, Patrick Jones II, Edge, Pitt
Round 5, Pick 149, Milton Williams, IDL, La Tech
Round 6, Pick 190, D'Wayne Eskridge, WR, Western Mich
Round 6, Pick 202, Terron Jackson, Edge, Coastal Carolina
Round 7, Pick 235, Josh Imatorbhebhe, WR, Illinois

Option 2 (the Sewell option):

Round 1 Pick 5 Penei Sewell, T, Oregon
Round 2 Pick 38, Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina
Round 3 Pick 69, Creed Humphrey, IOL, Oklahoma
Round 4 Pick 111, Jay Tufule, IDL, USC
Round 5, Pick 149, Jaylen Twyman, Edge, Pitt
Round 6, Pick 190, Milton Williams, IDL, La Tech
Round 6, Pick 202, Frank Darby, WR, Arizona State
Round 7, Pick 235, Josh Imatorbhebhe, WR, Illinois

For me, it's a borderline coin flip. I would lean the Chase/T over the Sewell/WR but it's really close. I think this shows why I am not on the Sewell or bust train. Both solutions are very, very workable and would help this team in 2021 and beyond.

#1 for me, but I would take edge with third pick and guard with 4th,  because Cosmi will be playing guard this season anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went BPA at positions of need. Would have reached to do Edge at 3 there in first version. And two o-lineman (at least) is my priority in my mocks at this point. Would be beyond thrilled to have Cosmi and Cleveland in the room even if it meant Cleveland sitting year 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kief likely means no 1st round OT (despite one year deal), unless they trade down.  So I would like a #1 please.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Kief likely means no 1st round OT (despite one year deal), unless they trade down.  So I would like a #1 please.  

 

 

I kind of think the same thing. But Reif can play guard too, so if they go T they can kick him inside.

Nothing stays the same.  They could (and in my opinion should) take Sewell even though they signed Reif.  Would be a departure from their usual staid and stale personnel decision making.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

People are holding onto tackle because Joe Burrow is walking around on a rebuilt knee. They’re holding on to tackle at 5 because most people don’t follow the draft very closely (not around here of course, just in general, and that includes many alleged experts in the media) and when they do pop by for a look it’s at something like Kiper’s first round only mock. They have no idea of the depth of the class and assume the team will miss out if they don’t take Sewell (who it should be added has been hyped to the effing stars).

That said, a tackle at 5 would be fine.

Joe wants WR.  They are down 3 WRs.  The better overall prospects are pass catchers. 
 

OL would be fine,  but it looks like a play maker at 5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Joe wants WR.  They are down 3 WRs.  The better overall prospects are pass catchers. 
 

OL would be fine,  but it looks like a play maker at 5. 

And that’s fine. I’m good either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×