Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

So who you ranking? 

Sewell

Chase

Pitts

-- My three.  I mean maybe something's come out about Sewell that changes that.  But I also think a trade-down is VERY much in-play and will be going forward.  If 4 QB's actually do come-off the board with the top picks, or even 3, there should be some clamoring for players at #5 who aren't Qb's.  I trade down as far as 8-10 if it means another 1st or 2nd round pick this year, and get a lineman.

I typically go:

1. Pitts.

2. Chase

3. Slater

4. Sewell

I put Slater ahead of him because he has good film against better competition and demonstrated extreme athleticism in his pro day.

I wouldn't be upset at either one.   A trade down keeping them in range of 1 of those guys is the best thing that could happen.     Plus you throw Smith and Waddle in there. 

12 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I typically go:

1. Pitts.

2. Chase

3. Slater

4. Sewell

I put Slater ahead of him because he has good film against better competition and demonstrated extreme athleticism in his pro day.

I wouldn't be upset at either one.   A trade down keeping them in range of 1 of those guys is the best thing that could happen.     Plus you throw Smith and Waddle in there. 

Sewell 1a, Pitts 1b, Chase 1c....they are virtually interchangeable for me, I would love to have any of them on this team.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sewell 1a, Pitts 1b, Chase 1c....they are virtually interchangeable for me, I would love to have any of them on this team.

That’s my order as well.  I read a thing about Pitts, guy was effusive, to put it mildly.  

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

I can only pray it is for vet min, maybe some performance based adds, maybe

HEY HOKIE IS BACK!

so many of the old gang is showing up these past few weeks :-)

I'm baaaaack. Draft time is always good. I've been sports deprived this year. It's definitely nice to follow some things that are simply entertainment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

wReports say Pitts is fast and reports say Chase is good.   Why are people holding on to “tackle” at 5?    

Philosophy with regard to positional value and team-building. A tackle is just worth more than a receiver or a tight end in a vacuum, even if all three of them are great (at least I think so). I'm not going to throw a fit if one of those skill guys gets taken (though if it's a WR I really hope it's Chase and only Chase), but I don't think this dialogue makes much sense if we're treating the positions as equivalent.

9 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Reports say Pitts is fast and reports say Chase is good.   Why are people holding on to “tackle” at 5?    

People are holding onto tackle because Joe Burrow is walking around on a rebuilt knee. They’re holding on to tackle at 5 because most people don’t follow the draft very closely (not around here of course, just in general, and that includes many alleged experts in the media) and when they do pop by for a look it’s at something like Kiper’s first round only mock. They have no idea of the depth of the class and assume the team will miss out if they don’t take Sewell (who it should be added has been hyped to the effing stars).

That said, a tackle at 5 would be fine.

8 hours ago, Stripes said:

Philosophy with regard to positional value and team-building. A tackle is just worth more than a receiver or a tight end in a vacuum, even if all three of them are great (at least I think so). I'm not going to throw a fit if one of those skill guys gets taken (though if it's a WR I really hope it's Chase and only Chase), but I don't think this dialogue makes much sense if we're treating the positions as equivalent.

Not per PFF on positional value in draft. They have WR second behind QB.

Which do you like better? PFF engine - no trades.

Option 1 (the Chase option):

Round 1 Pick 5 Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
Round 2 Pick 38, Sam Cosmi, T, Texas
Round 3 Pick 69, Ben Cleveland, G, Georgia
Round 4 Pick 111, Patrick Jones II, Edge, Pitt
Round 5, Pick 149, Milton Williams, IDL, La Tech
Round 6, Pick 190, D'Wayne Eskridge, WR, Western Mich
Round 6, Pick 202, Terron Jackson, Edge, Coastal Carolina
Round 7, Pick 235, Josh Imatorbhebhe, WR, Illinois

Option 2 (the Sewell option):

Round 1 Pick 5 Penei Sewell, T, Oregon
Round 2 Pick 38, Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina
Round 3 Pick 69, Creed Humphrey, IOL, Oklahoma
Round 4 Pick 111, Jay Tufule, IDL, USC
Round 5, Pick 149, Jaylen Twyman, Edge, Pitt
Round 6, Pick 190, Milton Williams, IDL, La Tech
Round 6, Pick 202, Frank Darby, WR, Arizona State

For me, it's a borderline coin flip. I would lean the Chase/T over the Sewell/WR but it's really close. I think this shows why I am not on the Sewell or bust train. Both solutions are very, very workable and would help this team in 2021 and beyond.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Which do you like better? PFF engine - no trades.

Option 1 (the Chase option):

Round 1 Pick 5 Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
Round 2 Pick 38, Sam Cosmi, T, Texas
Round 3 Pick 69, Ben Cleveland, G, Georgia
Round 4 Pick 111, Patrick Jones II, Edge, Pitt
Round 5, Pick 149, Milton Williams, IDL, La Tech
Round 6, Pick 190, D'Wayne Eskridge, WR, Western Mich
Round 6, Pick 202, Terron Jackson, Edge, Coastal Carolina

Option 2 (the Sewell option):

Round 1 Pick 5 Penei Sewell, T, Oregon
Round 2 Pick 38, Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina
Round 3 Pick 69, Creed Humphrey, IOL, Oklahoma
Round 4 Pick 111, Jay Tufule, IDL, USC
Round 5, Pick 149, Jaylen Twyman, Edge, Pitt
Round 6, Pick 190, Milton Williams, IDL, La Tech
Round 6, Pick 202, Frank Darby, WR, Arizona State

For me, it's a borderline coin flip. I would lean the Chase/T over the Sewell/WR but it's really close. I think this shows why I am not on the Sewell or bust train. Both solutions are very, very workable and would help this team in 2021 and beyond.

#1 for me, but I would take edge with third pick and guard with 4th,  because Cosmi will be playing guard this season anyway

Went BPA at positions of need. Would have reached to do Edge at 3 there in first version. And two o-lineman (at least) is my priority in my mocks at this point. Would be beyond thrilled to have Cosmi and Cleveland in the room even if it meant Cleveland sitting year 1. 

6 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Kief likely means no 1st round OT (despite one year deal), unless they trade down.  So I would like a #1 please.  

I kind of think the same thing. But Reif can play guard too, so if they go T they can kick him inside.

Nothing stays the same.  They could (and in my opinion should) take Sewell even though they signed Reif.  Would be a departure from their usual staid and stale personnel decision making.

21 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

People are holding onto tackle because Joe Burrow is walking around on a rebuilt knee. They’re holding on to tackle at 5 because most people don’t follow the draft very closely (not around here of course, just in general, and that includes many alleged experts in the media) and when they do pop by for a look it’s at something like Kiper’s first round only mock. They have no idea of the depth of the class and assume the team will miss out if they don’t take Sewell (who it should be added has been hyped to the effing stars).

That said, a tackle at 5 would be fine.

Joe wants WR.  They are down 3 WRs.  The better overall prospects are pass catchers. 

OL would be fine,  but it looks like a play maker at 5.