General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

46 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I dont get releasing your second best OLineman on an OLine that desperately needs quality. Yeah, he wasnt great, but he was better than most of the other schlubs not named Hopkins we have

John Miller was fucking awful. They can do better than him. I am glad they are trying to. 

• Like 1

John Miller was meh, which made him second best on this gawdawful unit

The signing of his apparent replacement was just announced, and PFF grades says he is ***EXACTLY*** as Meh as Miller PLUS BONUS he's two years older.

As Cincyjungle stated in their article on this, he wont move the needle (or, I'd say, the opposing DLs)

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/3/18/21185849/cowboys-news-xavier-sua-filo-bengals-nfl-free-agent-rumors-2020

This wasnt improvement, this was a move sideways at best.

They go cheap with the Miller/RG replacement, at least it's an upgrade on paper/based on past performance I guess.  Was a back-up last year after being replaced by  Connor Williams, but grades-out pretty well when he did play.  Would make for great depth if he wasn't likely being looked at as a starter here.  Still have more work to do on that o-line.

Bit of a small sample, but you can see why he was benched after the '18 season, just awful grades that year.  The '19 PB grade is likely due to taking less snaps.  Needs to be considered depth/project material and not a pencil-in starter.  They, at this point, do not have any real solid G prospects, unless one is added or one of these guys surprises (which is certainly possible).

ETazV9XWkAAXMCS?format=png&name=small

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

What’s there history I can’t remember 

That they don't spend $$ on Safeties I'm guessing, or interior lineman (or LB's very often).  The G they signed is making around $3 mil a year I believe,  which sounds about right for what they usually top-out at.  It's a stupid philosophy/approach, that says they really haven't changed some things at the top.  I'm not knocking the effort they're making though over-all, just hope they aren't quite finished.

18 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

What’s there history I can’t remember 

They didnt sign him two years ago because he wouldnt promise not to kneel during the anthem.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000977678/article/eric-reid-grievance-against-bengals-denied-by-arbitrator

Free Agency can be fools gold just as much as it helps build your team.   Time will tell on how well they are actually doing because it's not about dollars it's about talent evaluation then getting those players into your scheme and culture.

The main point for me is they are doing EXACTLY what needed to be done.  Not from a positional need standpoint but from a talent standpoint. 

This franchise will not advance in the playoffs without superior draft results.  That avenue has been horrible in recent drafts so they finally have done what Marvin did in his early years and backfilled via other team's rosters. 

I like the fact they are churning through guys they signed and are out acquiring and inquiring about other available guys.

When all the talk about Burrow not wanting to be here was going around, it's this effort that was needed to refute that narrative.   Right now you can point to them retaining/adding 4 starters which are clear roster upgrades on paper. 

With a decent draft, luck with prior drafts and injuries they could enter the fringe wild card hunt.  I think Baltimore has AFC North control for now.

19 minutes ago, membengal said:

Whoa. They got Alexander, the slot CB from the Vikings? He's REALLY good. That's an upgrade. This is strange days. 

Yup, apparently 1 year, $4 million. Solid pickup. Gotta love it.

Also, Billings goes north.

I have run enough mocks that I am sure they can get a LB who will immediately help in either 2 or 3. Either Queen or Murray falls to them in 2 or they can get one of Harrison, Dye, Gay at top of 3. Brooks and or Weaver or ADG might be there in 4 if they wait til that round. But they can get one to help with Pratt under this plan without having to reach. 

On 3/16/2020 at 8:59 PM, COB said:

All these teams actively signing free agents, making trades, doing all those things required to improve and balance a roster.  

Just seems like a lot of work though, doesn’t it? Mike needs a nap.

probably regretting this post today?