Sign in to follow this  
HoosierCat

General Free Agency Thread

He might be better than a camp body - that’s a frisky add for right before camp.

Yeah likely either Hopkins insurance, quality depth, or they plan on losing a C or two.  It's possible he's better than anyone at C on the roster currently.  I am not sure why he was released though.

44 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Yeah likely either Hopkins insurance, quality depth, or they plan on losing a C or two.  It's possible he's better than anyone at C on the roster currently.  I am not sure why he was released though.

Some prominent Cardinals fans among the draft universe are not happy about it 

Hmmm. Between this and Gaillard I wonder how confident they are in Hopkins making a timely return and/or Price being able to hold down the fort.

Reiter would be a wonderful add under any scenario.

Sounds like Hopkins is giving them serious concern, at least to begin the season.  I actually haven't read or heard anything "good" about Reiter, was a weak link on that line apparently.  But, I'm not that familiar with him otherwise.  If these guys are upgrades to what they have, fine.

Fwiw pff did a piece ranking the top 32 centers about a week ago.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-center-rankings-2021-nfl-season

Hopkins is at 17. They only ranked centers who were on a roster but did add this note at the end of the article:

Free agent of note: Austin Reiter (Would be 14th)

Reiter, who is still available in free agency, probably would have found his way onto the top half of this list if he was on a roster. He isn’t going to be a difference-maker in the run game, but he has been one of the more reliable pass protectors at center over his past two seasons as the Chiefs' starter. He ranks in the 91st percentile of all players at the position in pass-blocking grade since 2019. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Fwiw pff did a piece ranking the top 32 centers about a week ago.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-center-rankings-2021-nfl-season

Hopkins is at 17. They only ranked centers who were on a roster but did add this note at the end of the article:

So another Hopkins, maybe a tick better.  Seems like there's real emphasis on interior pass blocking - for obvious reasons.  I don't know that they have an OG who excels at it, yet any ways.  So, can't fault the logic.

At this point, I'd welcome Reiter if they sign him and he's not lost a step or hiding an injury.  Seems like a slight upgrade to Hopkins.  If nothing else having some  quality depth on the interior o-line of some sort would be nice for once.   I know Marvin constantly tried to do that here and had a hard time with it, for whatever reason(s).  I'm guessing money.

• Like 1