General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Eh, player leaves Cincy, goes on radio/tv in new city, says Bengals ownership and/or coaches and/or players and/or fans and/or facilities and/or all of the above suck, has been going on for decades. Can he fuck off? Yep. Is there a reason this keeps happening? Also yep.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Cincy Jungle reports bengals open to bring back Sacktins.  

That would be awesome on a lesser deal. 

Yeah, Tobin said they were trying to work something out the other day. Would be great assuming he has something left.

They didn’t want to pay him.

In response to their free-agent spending that counts more than $30 million against this years' salary cap and future extensions, the Bengals are believed to have tried to re-negotiate with Bernard. The move saves $4.1  million on this year's cap (according to overthecap.com) and looks to elevate Samaje Perine into a bigger role behind two-time 1,000-yard rusher Joe Mixon.

https://www.bengals.com/news/gio-s-release-continues-bengals-roster-revamp

Not a critical position and quite replaceable. Hopefully Perine can function in blitz pickup, but that's not a singular factor around which I will invest emotion -- especially given Burrow's proclivity for empty sets.

Thanks for a great tenure, Gio. For my money he finishes as a top-4 all-time Bengals half back.

Same thing they did with Andy, waited until after free agency to cut him.  In both cases it limits their options, teams that needed a FA running back probably already signed one.  Unusual for the Bengals, they treat their vets pretty well, but both Andy and Gio might have experienced some of the new Bengals.  It was better for the team to see what shakes out in FA then decide what to do, so they did it.  

They now have one of the slowest backfields I've ever seen in the NFL.  I hope they plan on bringing in some speed/quickness back there.  Mixon will not last long in this league with his running style, I don't think  His decline is already starting to show IMO (but with some good blocking he's obviously going to be effective if he's healthy regardless).  

In fact I've never seen an offense that needed downfield speed like this one does before.  They have their work cut out for them in that area.