Bengals Mock Draft

thepudgester

1. (24)- Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State- Bunkley is the best fit in this draft for the Bengals system at DT and would be a steal at 24. After bulking up, many fans now realize that Bunkley is a great prospect for the Bengals. At 6'2 300, Bunkley has the size and the quickness to do well in Lewis' defense. He has already said he just doesn't want someone that will simply take up space. He prefers disruptive guys that use their quickness and strength, not size, to play DT. Bunkley is very active, a great pass-rusher and run-stuffer, recording 23.5 TFL this past year. Unfortunatley, like Travis Johnson, was a one year wonder so ther is a bit of a risk.

2. (55)- Donte Whitner, SS, Ohio State- Another good fit and another steal. Whitner loves to hit, and is also pretty strong in coverage. Whitner is pretty fast and very active against the run. He would bring the Bengals Defense that indimidating factor they have been missing at the Safety position, as well as being a playmaker in coverage. Has a lot of potential, a bit raw in coverage and at 5'11 he isn't the biggest Safety but he's a guy who could come right in and start Day One.

3. (91)- Tim Day, TE, Oregon- One of the TE's in this draft that best fit what the Bengals want. Day is two-dimensional. He is not going to be that big-play threat at the TE position like Davis, Pope, Byrd, or Lewis, but Day is a good receiver on short to intermediate routes and at 6'4 258 he could help our redzone offense a good deal. Day is one of the best blockers at TE in this draft, and is certainly the best out of the Top 6. As I said, the best fit, many like Byrd, but Day has the height and balance advantage.

4. (122)- Mark Anderson, DE, Alabama- A player very comparable to Robert Geathers. A good pass-rusher who is sort of the developmental type. The guy is very fiery and intense on the field and he works hard. Anderson would provide depth behing Geathers and fill in at times as an edge rusher. Mike Kudla is another decent fit here, but Anderson at 6'4 254 has a little more potential. If he puts on about 5-10 lbs he could crack the rotation as a rookie.

5. (152)- Brandon Williams, WR, Wisconsin- An explosive receiver who would be a great value here. After his 40 this guy may go 1st day. Williams was very productive in college as a WR and a KR and PR, and capped it off with a very good senior season. Is a bit on the small side at 5'11 175, but is very fast and could contribute as both a PR and a WR.

6. (183)- Travis Williams, LB, Auburn- A lot of you are thinking there is no way Williams falls this far, but due to his size 6'1 213 there are going to be plenty of teams that don't think he can play in the pro's. Luckily, Marvin will see this guy as a Special Teams monster and another fast, rangy LB to add to his collection. Williams is a very good player, but at 213 there is no way he can be a starting LB in the pros, scouts will notice that and he will fall, simple as that. A steal, and a bit of a reach for me to put him all the way in the 6th, but hey, that's what happens.

7. (214)- Chris Kuper, OG, North Dakota- Bobbie and Steinbach are good starters but behind them we are a bit lacking. Kuper is a small school prospect that could develop into a fine backup in a couple years. No expects him to ever start, but he should provide adequate depth to round out the Bengals draft.

Ok, well I hope you liked it and didn't think it waas too unrealistic. I thought I did a decent job personally, but doesn't everybody. Tell me what you think... I am aware I didn't add a CB, but hey there's always next year or even free agency.

I'll only address the first three rounds, because beyond that, I have minimal knowlege of college prospects. I would be happy with Bunkley in the first, as he seems to be rising everyone's charts lately. He seems a perfect fit to repair the issues we've had on the interior D-line. Whittner in the second may be a bit of a reach, but so was Madieu. I wouldn't be upset with this. I don't like the Day idea in the third, but that is simply based on what I've heard/read about him. I want a nice receiving threat, but if he can't block, we'll just have Reggie Kelly on the field all the time anyways.

I don't like the Day idea in the third, but that is simply based on what I've heard/read about him. I want a nice receiving threat, but if he can't block, we'll just have Reggie Kelly on the field all the time anyways.

With Day, you won't need to go to a 2 TE set. As I said, he is very balanced, just the type of TE Marvin wants. You could rotate Day and Kelly and not notice any form of drop off, however Day gives Palmer a reliable safety blanket and possibly more. I am also very big on Leonard Pope, however I am higher on Bunkley and that is the more pressing need, so DT in the 1st. Also, you get your big-play guy in the 5th with WR Brandon Williams.

I really like Whitner and Day. Both would upgrade the Bengals nicely, and Whitner would start immediately.

If it comes down to D-line in the 1st, I'd rather see DE than DT because no DT including Bunkley-- if he is still there -- is likelier to generate better QB pressure than a DE, especially one with abundant speed and burst in space. Mark Anderson looks more like he might have a better shot at the next level as a 3-4 OLB than 4-3 DE and probably should slip farther into Day 2. I don't think Anderson will meet the Bengals DE need regardless.

Brandon Williams I also like and he does have the speed to offset what he looks like he lacks in height and leap to go up and get deep. Plus, he would solve the PR problem. 5th round might, like you say, be too late for him if he turns it on at the combine, especially given the weakness of the draft at WR this year.

Travis Williams is a tweener to end all tweeners. Clearly, the Bengals like him and Jon Alston aand Brian Iwuh but of those 3 Williams seems like he's the most in no man's land because he's awfully small for WSLB and probably outmatched speed wise at SS. I'm not convinced he'll get drafted but he is without a doubt a very committed and instinctive player -- he reminds me somewhat of Josh Buhl a couple years ago out of Kansas State who was a great college player but never got drafted because he was a 210 pound MLB.

I see no reason to burn a 7th for a guard, though.

Bunkley is a Thornton type DT which we don't need. If we draft a DT in round 1, which I'd rather we didn't, he needs to be a big fat ass that can stop the run and attract double teams.

Bunlkley at 6'2 300 lbs, is bulkier than Thornton and is more of a force against the run and yes he will attract double teams because of his quickness and ability to pressure the QB by beating single teams. He will not get overpowered easily. Marvin has already said he doesn't want a fat ass who just takes up space. He prefers the more active type of DT, Bunkley fits the bill. Bunkley has shown already that he can both get to the QB and make plays behind the line (23.5 TFL is insane) While Watson may be the bigger guy, Bunkley plays more agressively and with more effort. Bunkley is the perfect Bengals DT.

Also Schweinhart, I believe the Bengals problem at DE is more of a depth problem than a talent problems. Smith is great and Geathers has the tools but behind them we have little depth and a lot of age. Mark Anderson is a lively, developmental prospect that will provide solid depth and could contribute as a pass-rusher. Anderson is a good fit, very comparable to Geathers when he came out.

DE we lack depth not talent, DT we lack talent not depth. That makes DT the earlier need, we need to address it early (1st two rounds or so) or else there will be no upgrade. We can put DE off to the 3rd-5th Round.

Also the 7th round Guard adds depth which is a problem we have at OG, young depth. That is all.

Also Schweinhart, I believe the Bengals problem at DE is more of a depth problem than a talent problems. Smith is great and Geathers has the tools but behind them we have little depth and a lot of age. Mark Anderson is a lively, developmental prospect that will provide solid depth and could contribute as a pass-rusher. Anderson is a good fit, very comparable to Geathers when he came out.

I agree in the case of Justin Smith, but not so much with Geathers. I am one to think that he is part of the depth issue. Barring a breakout year in 2006, he has proven that he is better suited as a situational pass rusher, and shouldn't be in there for the majority of the snaps. That is where a new starter (if we're lucky Kiwanuka or Hali) would do us very well in the running game and more importantly the pass rush.

I agree in the case of Justin Smith, but not so much with Geathers. I am one to think that he is part of the depth issue. Barring a breakout year in 2006, he has proven that he is better suited as a situational pass rusher, and shouldn't be in there for the majority of the snaps. That is where a new starter (if we're lucky Kiwanuka or Hali) would do us very well in the running game and more importantly the pass rush.

There wouldn't be much improvement. Hali and Kiwanuka are both pass-rushers and struggle in run support. Geathers is bulkier than both and will help in that aspect more than both of those guys, Geathers is still developing though, he needs to get used to being 280. Once he gets comfortable, he'll be a solid starter. For pass-rushing, that is where Mark Anderson comes in. He is a good pass-rusher and is suited best for a backup role right now as a situational pass-rusher, just what we need. Stanley McClover and Darryl Tapp are two other prospects, though they'd likely be 2nd Rounders.

There wouldn't be much improvement. Hali and Kiwanuka are both pass-rushers and struggle in run support. Geathers is bulkier than both and will help in that aspect more than both of those guys, Geathers is still developing though, he needs to get used to being 280. Once he gets comfortable, he'll be a solid starter. For pass-rushing, that is where Mark Anderson comes in. He is a good pass-rusher and is suited best for a backup role right now as a situational pass-rusher, just what we need. Stanley McClover and Darryl Tapp are two other prospects, though they'd likely be 2nd Rounders.

If Kiwi and Hali were to end up struggling against the run, I don't think that'd be very worriesome. If we are to draft an end, it will be to fix our anemic pass rush... The run defense can be fixed between the ends. I'd say that these two are projected higher than the likes of McClover and Tapp for a good reason. Granted, that doesn't always end up mattering, but I'd say it does in most cases. I think if we can get that pass rush going to disrupt opposing passing games in the least, the entire defense would benefit. The secondary would have an easier time disrupting passing plays, and quarterbacks will have to make tougher throws. That much is obvious. If we can successfully disrupt a passing game with the pass rush, then the running game will struggle with it.

I can see part of that when you take his frame into account, even though he'd have a long way to go to get to Jumpy Jr. size. I agree that a developmental pick at DE is important in this draft because there appears to be a few good ones who could improve the Bengals pass rush. Anderson definitely is lively with some quickness inside and out to value. I still think his shot will be at OLB but that may also be proven the case with some other potential 4-3 DE/3-4OLB tweeners like Jeremy Mincey and Chris Gocong who should be available early Day 2. McClover even has to still be considered a developmental prospect, which is why I don't think the Bengals should go higher than the 3rd to get him.